Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Old Nov 1st 2011, 6:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Oh dear. You must have missed the bazillions of threads warning newcomers not to assume the current, historically low exchange rate is a good way to gauge salary.

Yes if I were transferring £30k of cash over to Australia today I would indeed get $46k. But is it comparable as a salary? Well £30k is over the national average, whereas $46k is considerably below ... there is a clue there.
But she's getting 65K....more now actually as she's been back a while. The Australian average wage is circa 70K and she is just under that.

There aren't that many people outside of the SE of England that get the average wage as the economy is skewed that way. Whereas in Aus the balance is spread more evenly around most of the Country.... WA and Canberra then Sydney and Melbourne. So much closer to the average wage here.

The average wage in London is closer to 40K GBP afaik. In fact I can confidently say that there are plenty of people on my london board on around the average wage that are bemoaning the cost of a midweek trip to Manchester by train and calling it super expensive. (especially at short notice) Still there will be 7K plus going up there on a Tuesday night... It's football after all....

I certainly do stay in touch in other words

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Nov 1st 2011 at 6:27 am.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 6:24 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I think you'll find that over the years the historical exchange rate balances out around 2 dollars = 1 Pound... the largest anomaly was when it was +2.40 to 1 pound. That was historically unprecedented... whereas we have been close to the current situation before back in 1973.
I can't see much of the graph on my i phone but the biggest divergence in the last 10 years is 2.94. On a quick glance it really doesn't look as though the median average is anything like as low as 2. Doesn't matter at all - just academic...
Old Nov 1st 2011, 6:33 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'll find that over the years the historical exchange rate balances out around 2 dollars = 1 Pound....
Correct.

The 42 years from July 1969 to June 2011 = 2.04

The last 5 years is also 1.99

Of course the current trend will gradually lower it.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 6:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

But she's getting 65K....more now actually as she's been back a while. The Australian average wage is circa 70K and she is just under that.
I was referring to your comment that £30k = $46k and that therefore as you see it she had boosted her salary by $19k already.

She has still gone from over the national average to under. Another way to look at it is that the comparative price of goods does not reflect current exchange rates either.

Anyway don't really want to go over that old chestnut again, the point really was that I didn't think your post was one that particularly demonstrated how it is possible to move and secure a better salary in Australia, which I think is what you were trying to do.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 6:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway don't really want to go over that old chestnut again, the point really was that I didn't think your post was one that particularly demonstrated how it is possible to move and secure a better salary in Australia, which I think is what you were trying to do.
Slightly more than that... Fact is London is falling down the league table as a place to secure ones permanent financial future at the top end of the Scale.... Asia and indeed Australia are now coming into that same sphere. It's a permanent and generational change by the looks of things. IE: Young Aussies wont have to travel to the Old Country to make their fortune as much as they have in the past.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Nov 1st 2011 at 6:51 am.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
If, and it's a big if, you want to work in Africa that is.
There are a lot worse places to work. In most large mines you cant tell the difference that you arent in a large mine anywhere else in the world. I can where i work - but i do green field exploration and the NE DRC is a bit of a special case
Old Nov 1st 2011, 6:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Correct.

The 42 years from July 1969 to June 2011 = 2.04

The last 5 years is also 1.99

Of course the current trend will gradually lower it.
How many data points is that calculation covering? If it is opening and closing divided by 2 then it would be quite different to an average based on the daily mid rate for example.

I have looked at a graph from 1/1/1990 to the present day and it only dips below 2 twice, so the average could not possibly be around the 2 mark over that period.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living-fxgraph.php.png  
Old Nov 1st 2011, 7:31 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
There are a lot worse places to work. In most large mines you cant tell the difference that you arent in a large mine anywhere else in the world. I can where i work - but i do green field exploration and the NE DRC is a bit of a special case
Like I said, if you want to work in Africa then what you said works. If you don't, then it doesn't.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 7:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I was on nothing in the UK and am currently on nothing here.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 7:55 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely surgery.

Originally Posted by Beoz
Surgery or Science?
Old Nov 1st 2011, 8:03 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you will find that the average wage in this country is some way under 70k and for a female even lower.

Old Nov 1st 2011, 9:16 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

How many data points is that calculation covering? If it is opening and closing divided by 2 then it would be quite different to an average based on the daily mid rate for example.

I have looked at a graph from 1/1/1990 to the present day and it only dips below 2 twice, so the average could not possibly be around the 2 mark over that period.
I agree.

The 2.04 figure is from 504 data points.
One data point at the end of each calendar month for 42 years.

Using the same method the past:
20 years = 2.27
10 years = 2.23
5 years = 1.99
Old Nov 1st 2011, 9:18 am
Love Machine

lumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Did anybody ever quit because of the cost of living then?
Does anybody care?

No? Thought not.
This town is coming like a ghost town

Old Nov 1st 2011, 9:24 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lumpommer
This town is coming like a ghost town

Ahhh wondered when you'd turn up.

We're doomed I tell ya
Old Nov 1st 2011, 9:28 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by chris955
I think you will find that the average wage in this country is some way under 70k and for a female even lower.
A lot of discussion on that topic in this thread
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=average

One conclusion was that $10k can be lopped off the average to obtain the median which is far more meaningful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.