Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Old Jun 10th 2011, 5:50 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

I would suggest that anyone who spends an inordinate amount of time comparing the 'cost of living' is missing out on the 'living' bit.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 5:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by paulry
So has anyone anyone quit Aus due to high cost of living?
Yes me. But it's not absolute cost of living it's relative cost of living. London is cheaper than Sydney and I can earn a lot more.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I would suggest that anyone who spends an inordinate amount of time comparing the 'cost of living' is missing out on the 'living' bit.
Not me I had a great time in Sydney and am now having a great time in London I'm just aware of the difference which feeds into quality of life. For me at the moment Sydney looses out so I'm not there. If it changes I will be back or when I'm rich enough not to care.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 5:54 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by isgraham
Yes me. But it's not absolute cost of living it's relative cost of living. London is cheaper than Sydney and I can earn a lot more.
Cool. If it works for you that's excellent. Financially I couldn't make a case for it at the moment. Maybe in a few years.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 5:56 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Not me I had a great time in Sydney and am now having a great time in London I'm just aware of the difference which feeds into quality of life. For me at the moment Sydney looses out so I'm not there. If it changes I will be back or when I'm rich enough not to care.
I didn't say anyone that compares is missing out (for some it is a budgetry necessity) just some people seem obsessed about doing the whole comparison thing ... financial or otherwise. Can't be healthy.
Account Closed

Indeed. The only cost comparison I make now is converting my wages back into pounds and thinking, thanks to the current exchange rate, "I'm on ****ing HOW much !!?!?!?!"
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Cool. If it works for you that's excellent. Financially I couldn't make a case for it at the moment. Maybe in a few years.
Exactly it's got to be on a case by case basis. I would not recommend Australia for financial reasons to IT people but for living in a great place and having an adventure I couldn't recommend it highly enough.
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

London is cheaper than Sydney and I can earn a lot more.
For me, COL is roughly the same (a bit more here) and I earn more in Australia

swings and roundabouts
Old Jun 10th 2011, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Indeed. The only cost comparison I make now is converting my wages back into pounds and thinking, thanks to the current exchange rate, "I'm on ****ing HOW much !!?!?!?!"
I do the same but from the UK even at this exchange rate.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 5:58 am
Mostly Harmless

The only time I compare anything to overseas is if I need to buy something I can otherwise source on-line. This usually leads to a decent saving, latest example being a soundcard that is eye-wateringly expensive here but a good deal importing using eBay.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 6:01 am
Account Closed

The only time I compare anything to overseas is if I need to buy something I can otherwise source on-line. This usually leads to a decent saving, latest example being a soundcard that is eye-wateringly expensive here but a good deal importing using eBay.
Good 'ole Aussie dollar Literally, more bang for your buck.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 6:05 am
Mostly Harmless

Good 'ole Aussie dollar Literally, more bang for your buck.
It would be a good deal even without the current exchange rate, such are the mark-ups here ... now, if Apple would be kind enough to adjust their App Store prices accordingly ...
Old Jun 10th 2011, 6:06 am
Account Closed

It would be a good deal even without the current exchange rate, such are the mark-ups here ... now, if Apple would be kind enough to adjust their App Store prices accordingly ...
Ssshhhh... don't say that. You'll start them all off again.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 6:08 am
Mostly Harmless

Ssshhhh... don't say that. You'll start them all off again.
Oh yeh, sorry, I'll be off now
Old Jun 14th 2011, 4:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly it's got to be on a case by case basis. I would not recommend Australia for financial reasons to IT people but for living in a great place and having an adventure I couldn't recommend it highly enough.
That's a very broad, sweeping, piece of advice. I know plenty of IT peops including myself who are doing it financially far better in Oz. I guess we are in the case by case basis.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.