Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone with an old South African drivers licence?

Anyone with an old South African drivers licence?

Old Mar 24th 2009, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

Pisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant future
Default Anyone with an old South African drivers licence?

I have been told that I cannot book a driving test for my Australian drivers licence until I hand over a letter from SA stating the date of issue of my drivers licence and the expiry date. I have the old licence in my identity document. Anybody had this done yet and can give me some advice?

Thanks
Old Mar 24th 2009, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone with an old South African drivers licence?

Stupid question......but if you are making an appointment to DO your license.....why do you need to prove that you HAVE a license?
Old Mar 24th 2009, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Pisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant future

This is so that I can prove I am not a beginner driver and already hold a drivers licence. I have done the signals test and passed so now I can go directly to the drivers test and not have to be a L and P plater.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Nix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really nice

Ah ha! You live and learn......!
As I probably will when I arrive in Aus in 5 weeks !
Old Mar 25th 2009, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

Don't worry things are pretty straight forward here. Medicare etc. and people are really helpful. I am just having a few problems with my licence as there is so much fraud in South Africa that passports, licences need to be thoroughly checked.

Have a great trip over. We are loving it here!
Old Mar 25th 2009, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

I really am looking forward to it.....

Seems like I may have the same hassle. My SA license is also in my ID book. I DO have an Aruban license.....but wonder what they will think of a license from a Caribbean island that is worded in Dutch ! :-)

Nix
Old Mar 25th 2009, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

I received a phone call yesterday from the RTA, they are going to accept my licence from the United Arab Emirates. They did ask if the licence was in English, luckily it is in English and Arabic. Maybe you could get the licencing dept to translate the licence into English for you on a letterhead. That may make things a lot easier for you.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Good point. Thanks for the advice....