Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone near Melbourne?

Anyone near Melbourne?

Old Sep 27th 2007, 11:22 am
Just Joined

davina and steve has a brilliant futuredavina and steve has a brilliant futuredavina and steve has a brilliant futuredavina and steve has a brilliant futuredavina and steve has a brilliant futuredavina and steve has a brilliant futuredavina and steve has a brilliant future
Default Anyone near Melbourne?

Hi still researching! Is there any one out there in Melbourne or going or been that could give me some idea of what its like? How cold is it in the winter, (compared to UK). dont want to live in city but not totally isolated, what are the nicer areas and those to avoid, if any!?
Thanks
Old Sep 27th 2007, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

ozdreamer will become famous soon enoughozdreamer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone near Melbourne?

you could try asking the same question on the Britvics forum as it is specific to Victoria and Melbourne.
www.s7.invisionfree.com/britvics

Cheers, Amanda
Old Sep 27th 2007, 11:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davina and steve
Hi still researching! Is there any one out there in Melbourne or going or been that could give me some idea of what its like? How cold is it in the winter, (compared to UK). dont want to live in city but not totally isolated, what are the nicer areas and those to avoid, if any!?
Thanks

There is a Melbourne thread in the main Australia forum that I discovered yesterday.

You could also check out:

http://z7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/index.php

I am looking to go to Melbourne too and the weather / areas to live etc are discussed in detail.

The Eastern suburbs are said to be the best but expensive.

I am looking to go to the Western suburbs to a relatively new town (? if it is a town) called Point Cook (this and Sanctuary Lakes area is where we will go first), they have lots of development there it is about 30 mins from the CBD so commutable - you seem to get a lot more there for your £'s and going by the other forums it is a safe and nice place for children.

Hope this helps,

Laura
Old Sep 27th 2007, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

davina and steve has a brilliant futuredavina and steve has a brilliant futuredavina and steve has a brilliant futuredavina and steve has a brilliant futuredavina and steve has a brilliant futuredavina and steve has a brilliant futuredavina and steve has a brilliant future

Great thanks for your help, will take a look x
Old Sep 27th 2007, 10:00 pm
Staying in BoxHill

chessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to all

Both myself and the wife live just outside Melbourne in Eltham approx 24km and North East of the city. The commute takes approx 45 mins to 1 hr by car/train subject to traffic and the time you leave.

We moved from Bristol. I can only say that the winter experienced here to date is not much colder than Autumn and the summer on a number of days is hotter than the UK.

'Reedy' is correct with the statement that the western suburbs are cheaper for various reasons and you do get more "bang for your buck" abut you then have to ask yourself - why? You are certainly closer to the really nice beaches and the Great Ocean Road however the East is more developed, hillier and tree lined as well as having the infrastruture to support the people living there. Dont get me wrong some of the areas in the west are very nice and it is all subject to what you are wanting really.

Life is good here however its not as cheap as everybody seems to make out back in the UK. Things are cheaper however not everything. You get a lot more variety and fruit and veg is seasonal so you may extra.

People here are a lot happier and more helpful than what you would find back in the UK. They even smile at you when walking down the street - but that could be for other reasons.

Not sure what else you may want to know but if you need anything elase then let me know.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

we live in Western burbs and it is more industrialised, but we are 12 mins from city (out of rush hour) by car. And only 3kms from a beach.

Everywhere has pros and cons and I rather like the west. However we are not as far out as Point Cook, which to my mind is a bit soulless...but my best mate loves it and is about to move there from Geelong.