Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Moving to Sydney This Year? 2007

Anyone Moving to Sydney This Year? 2007

Old May 10th 2007, 5:46 pm

oddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone Moving to Sydney This Year? 2007

Originally Posted by alkristensen
Hi, the more the merrier. I really want to stay in NSW but i dont like the idea of being too far from the city. Possibly 30 minutes to1 hr on bus or train. Is campbelltown a realistic prospect for a city lover or do you think it will be too villagey or more to the point, too far from life for me. Im going to look at ALL areas in six months and make our my minds then.

I hoped by starting this thread that we were not the only ones off to sydney as everyone else seems to be off to brissie or perth. Glad to see a fair few families making the move with kids as it makes me feel more like its affordable for a childless couple wanting a child in a year or so.

Ill stay in touch with people. Im 3 months off moving now and im up to my neck in work at the mo and my spare time is trying to finish the resto of my classic car in time to sell or ship her so i may go quiet fir a little bit but ill be back.

Thanks everyone for ntrducing yourselves. Get chatting and arranging meets in the future and ill pick up a little later when i have a bit more time.

Nice to meet you all so far.

Al and clare
Hi Al and Clare
Not sure Campbelltown would be good for childless couple wanting a bit more city glitz ! 'Tass' lives in the area and is in the process of answering some of my questions. Perhaps you could contact her?

Anyway hope all goes well with the car restoration, by the way what is it? We nearly finished restoring a 1967 TR6 in Florida - really wanted to bring it back but so impractical over here.

Hope to see you back on the forum soon

Sarah & Mark
Old May 10th 2007, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by estherg
May be Us too any advice on areas that have good transport,
and great for children would be fab!! no nothing about Sydney, well friends over here say Northern Beaches, The Hills

Thanks Esther
Northern Beaches are a really lovely area, but I'm not sure that their transport links are all that great. Hopefully someone who's already local can give you a bit more info though...
Old May 10th 2007, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

dr-dak is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all.
We are moving to sydney!! Flying on june 19th from BHX.

my wife(27),daughter (8 months old) and I(32) are moving to somewhere in south sydney. I will be working as an Aircraft Engineer at Sydney Airport, mascot.

we are looking for a couple of weeks in a hotel and then 6 month rent before hopefully buying if all is well. we are so excited but worry about the house prices in sydney. we are all chasing the Aussie dream...not sure how many boxes we can tick in sydney though!!

Any suggestions on good areas for a profesional couple with about $550000aus to buy our chosen house min 3 bed 2 bathroom!!
its so close now and we have so much to sort. crown are our chosen shipping agent and we have flights and car hire booked...but nothing else sorted yet!!!

look forward to meeting anyone for BBQ and a few beers to blow away the stresses. good luck to all and always remember the reasons for this move
Old May 11th 2007, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
That's great to hear. My son is 13 as well and he's really keen on going. Funny, I was just going to post an "anyone in Wahroonga" thread - that's now where we're thinking of starting our search. What's the area like? I would be really grateful for any advice. PM me if you'd prefer
Martha
Hi Martha,

We've been in Wahroonga for around six months and really like the area.

Its got good a good rail link (via the North Shore line) into the CBD(45mins), North Sydney(30mins) and Chatswood. You can also drive into the CBD in around 30 minutes (although this will take a lot longer in rush hour).

Its a very suburban family oriented area so if your after urban buzz then its definately not for you. Its got a nice village centre, park etc along with a few nice cafes/restaurants. The schools in the area also seem to be very good and my kids have settled into them well. Its also very green and leafy (I've attached a view from the front of our house) with many houses backing onto, or having views over, bushland and the National Park.

Its also not to far from the Northern Beaches taking around 20-30 mins to drive there. The Kuringaii Chase National Park is right next to Wahroonga we take the Kids down there quite a lot as there's a nice play area. Its also good for sailing, bush walking, biking etc.

To answer Esther's question the Northern Beaches and the Hills are both really nice areas but have a lack of transport links. If you are going to be working in the City then its going to be a pain getting there as neither area has a train service. You'll either have to drive or get the bus and I think it takes over an hour either way. somebody who lives in one of these areas might be able to help with more precise timings. If you aren't tied to working in the city then obviously its not such an issue The Hills are supposed to be getting a rail service but not until 2015 (they haven't started building it yet).

If you've got any more questions then feel free to PM me.

Ian
Attached Thumbnails Anyone Moving to Sydney This Year? 2007-sv201620.jpg  
Old May 11th 2007, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

estherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really nice

Thanks Ian, its good to know . OH will need a good transport area
as could be working all over CBD. Liked the look of Manly, but looks $$, Photo looks fab!. Esther
Old May 11th 2007, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the info Ian - definitely a good place to start; sounds pretty much ideal for what we want. We're not looking for urban buzz at all on a day to day basis, but I would like to be able to dip in and out which is obviously an option if you live close to the train line. The Hills area isnt't going to work for us as most of OHs work will probably be in the CBD. Without the transport issue I'd like to live in Avalon

Martha
Old May 11th 2007, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

estherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
Thanks for the info Ian - definitely a good place to start; sounds pretty much ideal for what we want. We're not looking for urban buzz at all on a day to day basis, but I would like to be able to dip in and out which is obviously an option if you live close to the train line. The Hills area isnt't going to work for us as most of OHs work will probably be in the CBD. Without the transport issue I'd like to live in Avalon

Martha

Avalon, How far is that? just had a post about Bilgola, Newport. Wondered if you or anyone on here could say how far to travel to CBD
Martha
Cheers Esther
Old May 14th 2007, 12:12 am
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dr-dak
Hi all.
We are moving to sydney!! Flying on june 19th from BHX.

my wife(27),daughter (8 months old) and I(32) are moving to somewhere in south sydney. I will be working as an Aircraft Engineer at Sydney Airport, mascot.

we are looking for a couple of weeks in a hotel and then 6 month rent before hopefully buying if all is well. we are so excited but worry about the house prices in sydney. we are all chasing the Aussie dream...not sure how many boxes we can tick in sydney though!!

Any suggestions on good areas for a profesional couple with about $550000aus to buy our chosen house min 3 bed 2 bathroom!!
its so close now and we have so much to sort. crown are our chosen shipping agent and we have flights and car hire booked...but nothing else sorted yet!!!

look forward to meeting anyone for BBQ and a few beers to blow away the stresses. good luck to all and always remember the reasons for this move

Hi mate, welcome to this thread.

Best places to look are www.realestate.com.au or www.domain.com.au

Have a look in your price range/beds/baths and when you press search and it comes up then click to view on the map(on realestate.com not domain) to see at what position around sydney they are.

You could do with starting your own thread(post) on this and remeber to try to ask one or 2 questions at a time on different threads as a lot of the rest of the questions are overlooked if you ask aboiut various subjects.

550k should get you a decent house. what do you want from an area.

Do you want bars and cafes on your door step or a quick commute or quiet country style or or or or or .............................

On this ite, the more you explain things the more p[eople can answer you. Try wording questions like you are talking to a loads of halfwits that need everything explaining to them as a lot of people make the wrong assumptions from one word or line you have wrote.

Alot of things get taken out of context too!!

Good luck in your move. Keep the barbie alight for me. Added to my buddy list for when i get out there mate 2 months after you.

Pm me if you need anything

Al
Old May 14th 2007, 12:19 am
Banned

alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saraho
Hi Al and Clare
Not sure Campbelltown would be good for childless couple wanting a bit more city glitz ! 'Tass' lives in the area and is in the process of answering some of my questions. Perhaps you could contact her?

Anyway hope all goes well with the car restoration, by the way what is it? We nearly finished restoring a 1967 TR6 in Florida - really wanted to bring it back but so impractical over here.

Hope to see you back on the forum soon

Sarah & Mark
Cheers guys, its a Karmann Ghia 1963. Lovely. Why would a tr6 be impractical?

we will try and look at all areas of syney and surrounds before making our minds up.

It may ony take a little while to decide but we are gonna give it a big go.

Buddy list added. Catch you soon

Al
Old May 14th 2007, 12:22 am
Banned

Originally Posted by yanH
Hi Martha,

We've been in Wahroonga for around six months and really like the area.

Its got good a good rail link (via the North Shore line) into the CBD(45mins), North Sydney(30mins) and Chatswood. You can also drive into the CBD in around 30 minutes (although this will take a lot longer in rush hour).

Its a very suburban family oriented area so if your after urban buzz then its definately not for you. Its got a nice village centre, park etc along with a few nice cafes/restaurants. The schools in the area also seem to be very good and my kids have settled into them well. Its also very green and leafy (I've attached a view from the front of our house) with many houses backing onto, or having views over, bushland and the National Park.

Its also not to far from the Northern Beaches taking around 20-30 mins to drive there. The Kuringaii Chase National Park is right next to Wahroonga we take the Kids down there quite a lot as there's a nice play area. Its also good for sailing, bush walking, biking etc.

To answer Esther's question the Northern Beaches and the Hills are both really nice areas but have a lack of transport links. If you are going to be working in the City then its going to be a pain getting there as neither area has a train service. You'll either have to drive or get the bus and I think it takes over an hour either way. somebody who lives in one of these areas might be able to help with more precise timings. If you aren't tied to working in the city then obviously its not such an issue The Hills are supposed to be getting a rail service but not until 2015 (they haven't started building it yet).

If you've got any more questions then feel free to PM me.

Ian

nice info and area. thanks alot for that. How quick would it be on a motorbike into the city please do you reckon (just pretend its 2am getting back from the city and then you should have a rough estimate)

than ks

al
Old Jun 28th 2007, 1:57 am
Just Joined

dr-dak is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all.

We moved here about 2 weeks and we are Engadine. Its a really pretty suburb right in the national park but good prox to sydney busy areas. Its just so nice to enjoy sydney and then return the peace and tranq that is Engadine! Its a great family area not for the party goers though. It does have a train line that runs direct to airport and cbd in 45 mins and also the number 1 highway runs to the cbd, takes 45 mins to an hour depending on time of day.

We are unfortunately maybe going home...our house sale fell through after 10 weeks and we found out 4 days after arrival. We just do not have the funds the daty here and pay 2 mortgages/rent. If anyone is really rich and can give us 550000 aussie or 245000uk then we should be ok!!

Anyway good luck to all...sometimes it s not be!
Enjoy, sydney is brill. We are going to warwickshire which is not all that bad.