Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aus outcasts, story in todays Observer

Aus outcasts, story in todays Observer

Old Jun 24th 2007, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light
Default Aus outcasts, story in todays Observer

I hope this link works, it's a story about Wadeye, the largest Aboriginal community.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/world...109959,00.html
Old Jun 24th 2007, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Aus outcasts, story in todays Observer

Originally Posted by quercus
I hope this link works, it's a story about Wadeye, the largest Aboriginal community.

Excellent article..thank you very much for posting. i hope it will be met with others by the intent of the article.

saddens my heart ..........but anything that can help to highlight and bring forth what is realy going on and help to open peoples eyes and hearts is needed. this is an ongoing plight and situation .....we can't keep saying it is someone elses' problem....out of sight out of mind..no more!

thank you

Last edited by Maple Leaf; Jun 24th 2007 at 4:08 pm. Reason: .
Old Jun 24th 2007, 9:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, words cannot describe really what its like, having seen third world countries in our backpacking days, its still completely shocking to see, horrific, hard to even comprehend, especially in what is supposed to be such a wealthy country.

Did you know the life expectancy of a black australian is 20 years less than that of a white australian. Good on you for posting it, pity more are not aware of it.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 11:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Yes, words cannot describe really what its like, having seen third world countries in our backpacking days, its still completely shocking to see, horrific, hard to even comprehend, especially in what is supposed to be such a wealthy country.

Did you know the life expectancy of a black australian is 20 years less than that of a white australian. Good on you for posting it, pity more are not aware of it.
I think people are aware, they just don't say, or do anything or feel helpless. ''Pass my beer'', and look no further than their next BBQ.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the your comments.

I get the feeling that most people believe they have brought it on themselves, that they are a lazy bunch of bludgers who already get far too many handouts at the expense of the Aussie taxpayer. That they waste or destroy what is given them, then hold out their hands for more. AND THE STATE KEEPS GIVING. People are angry.

When expressing my opinion that maybe it's not all their own fault and it's perhaps understandable to some extent for a race caught between two cutures, I've been informed that it's mainly the fault of the British, who tried to commit genocide in the past.

There is resentment from ordinary and good people, to the extent that I find it easier to avoid the subject. I'm not comfortable with burying my head in the sand though. Maybe Howard's actions will help, through drawing attention to the problem, if nothing else.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 6:08 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

<snip> Maybe Howard's actions will help, through drawing attention to the problem, if nothing else.
It will certainly draw attention ... what with:

The timing - All of a sudden Mr Thatcher has an attack of social empathy just before an election

The proposed 6 month alcohol ban - Which nicely covers the election period and does nothing to address the underlying problems

And the COMPULSORY MEDICALS FOR ALL ABORIGINAL CHILDREN.

It doesn't even take a semi-intelligent being to see that the last point will do more damage than good, surely?

Do I have the answers? No. But I sure as hell don't believe Johnny's motives.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 6:17 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

The article doesn't mention the chronic sexual abuse problem in regard to their own children ... That is shocking.

Old Jun 25th 2007, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

down under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nicedown under is just really nice

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
It will certainly draw attention ... what with:

The timing - All of a sudden Mr Thatcher has an attack of social empathy just before an election

The proposed 6 month alcohol ban - Which nicely covers the election period and does nothing to address the underlying problems

And the COMPULSORY MEDICALS FOR ALL ABORIGINAL CHILDREN.

It doesn't even take a semi-intelligent being to see that the last point will do more damage than good, surely?

Do I have the answers? No. But I sure as hell don't believe Johnny's motives.
i agree with all that you said,i still remember children overboard b/f last election,he'll do anything to get re elected
Old Jun 25th 2007, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

When expressing my opinion that maybe it's not all their own fault and it's perhaps understandable to some extent for a race caught between two cutures, I've been informed that it's mainly the fault of the British, who tried to commit genocide in the past.
What a load of absolute rubbish. Australia has been a defacto independent nation for well over a hundred years so how can the current plight of the Aboriginals be the fault of the UK. Yes the original British settlers persecuted the Aboriginals but those settlers went on to become the original (non-indigenous) population of Australia (ie their descendants now live in Australia not the UK). If anybody is to blame then it is successive Australian Governments who have failed to take the required action (for a variety of reasons including political correctness).

Last edited by yanH; Jun 25th 2007 at 8:24 am.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 11:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest issue is that if the govt gets involved and pours in resources and money it's a case of paternalism.

If they allow Aborignal self-determinism, then there is a degree of scepticism about the role and leadership of Aboriginal leaders and elite to do what is expected - as has been demonstrated.

It's a big problem,and this will sound bizarre, but ultimately the people do have to evolve and sort things.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 11:57 am
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yanH
What a load of absolute rubbish. Australia has been a defacto independent nation for well over a hundred years so how can the current plight of the Aboriginals be the fault of the UK. Yes the original British settlers persecuted the Aboriginals but those settlers went on to become the original (non-indigenous) population of Australia (ie their descendants now live in Australia not the UK). If anybody is to blame then it is successive Australian Governments who have failed to take the required action (for a variety of reasons including political correctness).
it was the british, both individuals and goverments, yes neglecting to do anything. it's religious groups also, they ran missions like concentration camps and yes it was british rule that started the "genocidal tendencies". sexual abuse is another thing (who knows what was "normal" in the past) It seems to me that child sexual abuse isn't an aboriginal thing in australia it's everywhere and due to the nature of isolation it is going on unchecked by a system that doesn't work and states that have their own rules. it really is a mess and makes me want to: either leave and go back to UK or try and do something about it.
i do think it will damage Australia as a tourist destination and also for somewhere to live other than europe.
it's gonna be a right mess..............
Old Jun 25th 2007, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by why
it was the british, both individuals and goverments, yes neglecting to do anything.
The British settlers who came to Australia became the first Australians (non indigineous ) so therefore why are the British to blame and not the population of Australia?

How do you suggest that the British could have done anything about it? Australia after all has ruled its own domestic affairs for well over 100 years.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 12:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by why
it was the british, both individuals and goverments, yes neglecting to do anything. it's religious groups also, they ran missions like concentration camps and yes it was british rule that started the "genocidal tendencies". sexual abuse is another thing (who knows what was "normal" in the past) It seems to me that child sexual abuse isn't an aboriginal thing in australia it's everywhere and due to the nature of isolation it is going on unchecked by a system that doesn't work and states that have their own rules. it really is a mess and makes me want to: either leave and go back to UK or try and do something about it.
i do think it will damage Australia as a tourist destination and also for somewhere to live other than europe.
it's gonna be a right mess..............
I think the isolation of some of these communities does not help one bit.
If a community set up in Leicestershire it would be alot easier to police.

People will always want to come to Australia on holiday. The place fascinates people. Always will. It's uncanny.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 12:16 pm
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
The biggest issue is that if the govt gets involved and pours in resources and money it's a case of paternalism.

If they allow Aborignal self-determinism, then there is a degree of scepticism about the role and leadership of Aboriginal leaders and elite to do what is expected - as has been demonstrated.

It's a big problem,and this will sound bizarre, but ultimately the people do have to evolve and sort things.
the trouble is they have been allowed to do things their way and it's not worked out very well (for one reason and another) what i am worried about is what the army and more police will do there. what about an army of teachers and nurses and childcare workers. builders plumbers etc.i does scare me.
those communities are scary.. one sad aspect is that many people are brain damaged from drugs and alcohol and being abused..... it really is mind blowing......i know quite a lot of Nunga people especially women and they are brilliant...i think that is the answer... i'd educate everyone as nurses, midwives, teachers etc etc then as is tradition the women will look after everyone.........keep writing...
Old Jun 25th 2007, 2:50 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by down under
i agree with all that you said,i still remember children overboard b/f last election,he'll do anything to get re elected
And KRudd will say anything you want to hear to get elected.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.