Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone in melbourne?

Anyone in melbourne?

Old Jan 3rd 2013, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

jkm10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone in melbourne?

Hi im hopefully moving to melbourne in spring, i am a nurse and will be working at childrens hospital there. Im single with no kids, and will be making the move on my own. Any advice from anyone about general things eg. nice places to live/places to avoid, getting round on public transport. I would also be preferably looking for a houseshare with other healthcare staff who work shifts, have looked online but cant find anything, would be great if anyone has any ideas of websites to look or places to look when i get to oz. im sending my documents off for nursing registration next week, and then ive got to sort visa out. Hoping to be in oz for april. Any advice from anyone would be great. Thnx. X
Old Jan 4th 2013, 9:39 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone in melbourne?

Hi, and welcome. One of my wife's best friends works shifts as a neonatal nurse at the Children's so I can ask her if you need any specific info.

I'm not sure if there is nurses accommodation there - I can find out.

BB
Old Jan 4th 2013, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Hi, thanks for your help. Yes that would be great, what i really need to know is does she know any nurses who are looking for a house share, or where i can find any info on houseshares for nurses. Also, what i would like to know is what public transport runs close by the hospital? Thanks
Jess
Old Jan 4th 2013, 6:43 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jkm10
Hi, thanks for your help. Yes that would be great, what i really need to know is does she know any nurses who are looking for a house share, or where i can find any info on houseshares for nurses. Also, what i would like to know is what public transport runs close by the hospital? Thanks
Jess
Hi Jess, I will be seeing her tomorrow and can ask about house shares, however she is married with kids so may not know. With regard to transport, I suggest you look at http://ptv.vic.gov.au/ and work out what transport might work for you.

BB
Old Jan 4th 2013, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again i will check this website out. If she doesnt know thats ok, just wasnt sure if she might gave heard anything through word of mouth or whether the hospital has a notice board for anything like that. Thanks
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

Amybx is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi im hopefully moving to melbourne in spring, i am a nurse and will be working at childrens hospital there. Im single with no kids, and will be making the move on my own. Any advice from anyone about general things eg. nice places to live/places to avoid, getting round on public transport. I would also be preferably looking for a houseshare with other healthcare staff who work shifts, have looked online but cant find anything, would be great if anyone has any ideas of websites to look or places to look when i get to oz. im sending my documents off for nursing registration next week, and then ive got to sort visa out. Hoping to be in oz for april. Any advice from anyone would be great. Thnx. X
Hiya
Im also a nurse hoping to find work in melbourne end of april/start of may.
I have the same concerns as you:
-transport
-house shares / cheap accom
- meeting other UK /Au nurses
- dont knw a soul there either

I am an adult nurse however, hoping to work for an agency for 6mnths.
What are your plans? x
Old Feb 7th 2013, 6:43 am
Just Joined

MrC UK is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, I moved here a month ago and whilst I am not a nurse, I too moved here by myself. My early impressions are that Melbourne is a great city, plenty to do and the weather is a revelation!! If you want to live near the CBD then I would suggest budgetting around $250 a week for rent. If you don't mind living 20/30 mins outside of town then a decent houseshare can be found for $150 a week. The public transport is ok, at the moment I live in a suburb 40 minutes outside of the CBD and trains run every 15 mins into town and once there the trams are pretty good. You will need a MyKi card to travel which is basically like an oyster card.

I guess if your working shifts you won't want to commute far and if you are keen to live with other nurses then perhaps your employers can help advise, otherwise gumtree has been my main source. There is plenty on there but it is hugely competitive. Maybe that's because it's the high season at the moment but if you are employed and shared before you may find it easier in May when there are not so many travellers. I am looking at house shares in the Fitzroy area as it reminds me alot of Brighton where I used to live, lots of quirky shops, a bit trendy without being in your face and plenty of bars/cafe. Otherwise, I would look at areas around Albert Park, Middle Park, Elwood and East St Kilda as they are near the beach. St Kilda has a bit of a reputation for a party town so it may not suit shift work.

Anyhow, good luck, I am happy to have made the move and I am sure you will like it out here, it's hard not too!!

Oh, one last thing, I have used meetup.com to meet others and it's pretty good, lots of choice on activities and so far I have met some decent people.
Cheers
Old Feb 7th 2013, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

Hi, thanks so much for all your info, this has been a great help. i will defintley try the websites you advise. hope your enjoying melbourne. jess x
Old Feb 7th 2013, 9:10 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

For accom, you may have to take what you get on gumtree.com or summit similar until your here. I work in a large public hospital in Melbourne and every notice board (and outside most lifts), are other health staff looking for people to share their place or rent their place.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

Great, thanks for info margaret, good to know hospitals in melbourne have notice boards for flat shares etc. Jess
Old Feb 7th 2013, 10:53 pm
Account Closed

Great, thanks for info margaret, good to know hospitals in melbourne have notice boards for flat shares etc. Jess
Please be careful about your contract as there are HUGE health care cuts going on in the hospitals. I worked in the NHS for 25 years and this is much worse than i ever experienced there. Make sure your contract is permanent. However your young and more adaptable than me, so am sure all will be well jobwise. I mean by this incase you get a permanent contract for one area and then they offer you redeployment to another (as is happening).
Old Mar 7th 2013, 2:13 am
Just Joined

JP05 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there
Not too sure in regards to accommodation to be honest.
I'm a paramedic down here and know that I really struggled with public transport and the random shift times and finish times to the point I couldn't do it without a car. I suppose it would be easier with a hospital placement as they are all fairly centrally located in terms of bus/tram/train lines unlike our poor ambulance station in the middle of nowhere.

Melbourne is a great city once you get here and as for the not knowing a soul - I'd love to arrange a meetup when you get here!!
Hope all goes well.
Josh
Old Mar 7th 2013, 3:55 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JP05
Hi there
Not too sure in regards to accommodation to be honest.
I'm a paramedic down here and know that I really struggled with public transport and the random shift times and finish times to the point I couldn't do it without a car. I suppose it would be easier with a hospital placement as they are all fairly centrally located in terms of bus/tram/train lines unlike our poor ambulance station in the middle of nowhere.

Melbourne is a great city once you get here and as for the not knowing a soul - I'd love to arrange a meetup when you get here!!
Hope all goes well.
Josh
Goodlu k josh. Hope all works out for you and I HOPE YOU GET YOUR PAYRISE!
Old Mar 7th 2013, 4:51 am
Just Joined

JP05 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you - no idea whats happening now with the new premier but it can't get much worse