Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dyson from uk or wait

Dyson from uk or wait

Old Mar 4th 2013, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default Dyson from uk or wait

I am leaving my cheap used hoover here in the uk and will probably need to buy another when we move to oz,i have never owned a dyson and see they are very expensive over there is it worth buying one here and take over and would its still be under warranty,or would it be better to import one when over there,i can get one at a pretty good price and not sure if to get one ir what
Old Mar 4th 2013, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dyson from uk or wait

Originally Posted by brian.w
I am leaving my cheap used hoover here in the uk and will probably need to buy another when we move to oz,i have never owned a dyson and see they are very expensive over there is it worth buying one here and take over and would its still be under warranty,or would it be better to import one when over there,i can get one at a pretty good price and not sure if to get one ir what
I don't know how much they are in UK but its around $850 upwards here, I'm sure it must be cheaper than here.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Depends what model your after , just bought a DC 33 for $440 - same model in UK "appeared to be " priced $390 to $420 depending on sales.
( not sure if the current £100 Dyson rebate applies to this model )

At a guess buy it there - freight wise it has to be cheaper.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

abi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud of

Bear in mind potential import taxes on importing goods under 12 months. Don't know for sure but suspect shipping it half way round the world might invalidate the warranty (though happy to be proven wrong)

Also, we have a dyson animal and it's...not good. Ask around before committing that much cash on one.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

coldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nice

Look at prices in both places, if you're shipping stuff in a container anyway its not going to cost you any more to ship it.

We brought heaps of new stuff and customs didn't bother to charge us, so long as its not actually boxed and you've used it a couple of times they'll never know.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 12:13 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
I don't know how much they are in UK but its around $850 upwards here, I'm sure it must be cheaper than here.
I paid half of that for ours
Old Mar 5th 2013, 12:17 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mulben
Depends what model your after , just bought a DC 33 for $440 - same model in UK "appeared to be " priced $390 to $420 depending on sales.
( not sure if the current £100 Dyson rebate applies to this model )

At a guess buy it there - freight wise it has to be cheaper.
I paid around that for ours ,(DC 33) , worth every cent. I love it.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 12:38 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Dyson DC41
UK : £270+ = $400
Oz : $600+

Therefore if I were shipping things anyway, I'd buy in the UK and ship with the rest after taking it out of packing and making it look like it had been used, then cleaned. Warranty would be worthless, but they are fairly worthless anyway. Oh, and you are more likely to get the new model (DC50?) in the UK than in Oz.

Saying that, much of the technology has been successfully reverse engineered by the competitors - and they are usually at a more reasonable price. I might well look around to see if there are more cost effective options.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice

Ours died after 8 years recently and was shocked by cost here - ended up buying second hand -so cheaper online on uk. Take it out of box to ship and dont use as you have to clean them before you come . Though the dishwasher did that well I remember. Alot of our container was new stuff - we declared some eg bedding lamps etc but left the big stuff!!
Old Mar 6th 2013, 5:03 am
Just Joined

Graham M will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Dyson from uk or wait

Do NOT buy a Dyson !!!! Ever !!!

I have used all kinds of vacuum cleaners / Hoovers over the years. As a tradie, working at peoples' houses, on cleaning up, they often said to just use their hoover instead of bringing in mine from the van. Dysons are just not as good as some other models available. The plastic is not that robust and you might think that whole bagless feature is great, but its not. They still have filters and need emptying regularly to maintain any decent suction. The design is totally poor. The uprights are particuarly cumbersome.

in my humble but fairly wel educated opinion, look at a Miele. Solid German engineering and the bags are not that expensive. Also, sold in Oz so maybe check prices online and compare for yourself. No need to worry about customs / AQUIS clearance. Remove bag and filters and give the inside a wipe with Jeyes fluid and they will be happy. Also, they will never check on the age of such an appliance. They have better things to do like looking for soil on bike tyres etc.

One other thing to consider is whether you are near the imit on your container. If it meant leaving other stuff you waqnted to bring out, for example.

Good luck
Old Mar 6th 2013, 8:45 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Graham M

I have used all kinds of vacuum cleaners / Hoovers over the years. As a tradie, working at peoples' houses, on cleaning up, they often said to just use their hoover instead of bringing in mine from the van. Dysons are just not as good as some other models available. The plastic is not that robust and you might think that whole bagless feature is great, but its not. They still have filters and need emptying regularly to maintain any decent suction. The design is totally poor. The uprights are particuarly cumbersome.

in my humble but fairly wel educated opinion, look at a Miele. Solid German engineering and the bags are not that expensive. Also, sold in Oz so maybe check prices online and compare for yourself. No need to worry about customs / AQUIS clearance. Remove bag and filters and give the inside a wipe with Jeyes fluid and they will be happy. Also, they will never check on the age of such an appliance. They have better things to do like looking for soil on bike tyres etc.

One other thing to consider is whether you are near the imit on your container. If it meant leaving other stuff you waqnted to bring out, for example.

Good luck

Well that's me educated
Old Mar 6th 2013, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Graham M

Good luck
+1, hate my Dyson, wouldn't buy one but got it for free. Hubby until recently was somehow involved with Dyson. They are too heavy and cumbersome. He empties the bloody thing and cleans it. I would prefer bags.

By the way, there are DC33 and DC33 and DC33, meaning more than one model.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

here is a link to check the price against GBP,

http://www.getprice.com.au/dyson-vacuums.htm
Old Mar 7th 2013, 5:18 am
Mav
Forum Regular

Mav is an unknown quantity at this point

get a uk one then you can buy spares from england and have then sent over,dyson Aus wont sell motors or any other electric part to you but dyson uk will , uk price is cheaper for parts too,
i know this as my motor packed up and dyson aus said they wont sell me a motor,as it needs an electrician to fit it, it was as hard as wiring a plug to fit,so i got one from dyson uk no problem