Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

anyone in Melbourne?

anyone in Melbourne?

Old Nov 23rd 2011, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

timmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud of
Default anyone in Melbourne?

That's me got my flights and visa for march. what's Melbourne like at that time of year? I understand it will be coming into winter so will that make accommodation cheaper? where is the cheapest area of melbourne anyway? I was also wondering if anyone was in construction in the area and could give me a heads up as to what it is like at the moment for work ?

Thanks
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone in Melbourne?

Originally Posted by timmerman
That's me got my flights and visa for march. what's Melbourne like at that time of year? I understand it will be coming into winter so will that make accommodation cheaper? where is the cheapest area of melbourne anyway? I was also wondering if anyone was in construction in the area and could give me a heads up as to what it is like at the moment for work ?

Thanks
Hi, I'm not currently living in Melbourne, but did for 13 years up until 2 years ago. Melbourne weather, as not doubt others will tell you, is a matter of if you don't like it, wait 10 minutes That said, March is usually quite nice weatherwise, winter does get cold in Melbourne (but not as cold as NZ!).

Regarding accommodation, it all depends on your definition of cheap and what you are willing to put up with. Melbourne, overall, is not a cheap city housing-wise, but if you are on your own you could get a flat-share or a 1 bedroom. Have a look at www.domain.com.au or www.realestate.com.au for rentals. Generally speaking, the closer to the city you are the more expensive the property. Western suburbs tend to be cheaper than eastern suburbs on the whole. If you want to be close to the city maybe try Kensington, Flemington, Footscray, Sunhsine (bit further out). I always find it hard picking suburbs in a new city until I've been there and had a look around. Maybe try to find a furnished rental or serviced apartment short-term when you first get there to give yourself some time.

Sorry, can't help at all with the construction industry, but I'm sure someone will come along who can.

Best of luck with the move! You'll love Melbourne.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

timmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud of

I'll be arriving on the back of a Scottish winter so I'll prob only need to pack 7 pairs of shorts for the arrival

Is march a good time to go fruit picking? can you even go fruit picking in Melbourne

Also why do so many Brits pick perth over the rest of oz ??
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 8:21 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously have a look through the forum for threads labelled Melbourne v Perth, Sydney v Perth, Brisbane v Perth.....they usually end with people insulting each other cos most people think their own city is the best......
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana

Seriously have a look through the forum for threads labelled Melbourne v Perth, Sydney v Perth, Brisbane v Perth.....they usually end with people insulting each other cos most people think their own city is the best......

Look out for me joining in around mid-march then

Just hope I've picked the right city work wise
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 9:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I would not describe March as "coming into winter"
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I would not describe March as "coming into winter"
Coming out of summer?

Last edited by timmerman; Nov 23rd 2011 at 10:03 pm. Reason: Grammer
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 10:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Coming out of summer?
More like it, there is a whole season inbetween. March is nice.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 10:56 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: anyone in Melbourne?

Just hope I've picked the right city work wise
Not just workwise Melbourne has so much going for it in the lifestyle department too!

BB
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 11:19 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

That's me got my flights and visa for march. what's Melbourne like at that time of year?
If you're coming from scotland you will not consider that 'winter' will ever arrive. March will be warm (usually over 20C during the daytime) and some days will go over 30C. Daytime temps even in mid-'winter' allow you to go outside without a coat, although you'd never know it from the locals whining. Put it like this, the maximum ever, middle of the night, middle of winter temp is ......... -2 C.

Take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne#Climate for more info.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be arriving on the back of a Scottish winter so I'll prob only need to pack 7 pairs of shorts for the arrival

Is march a good time to go fruit picking? can you even go fruit picking in Melbourne

Re the fruit picking, you'll need to head up to the Goulburn Valley for work - its about 2 hours north of Melbourne by car. A friend of mine works for one of the big orchards up that way, so feel free to send me a PM and I can find out some more info about that type of work for you.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 11:22 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: anyone in Melbourne?

Originally Posted by GarryP
Put it like this, the maximum ever, middle of the night, middle of winter temp is ......... -2 C.
I think you mean minimum ever!!!

And in Bayside it never gets lower than 3 or 4 above, we didn't have a single frost this year.

BB
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I think you mean minimum ever!!!

And in Bayside it never gets lower than 3 or 4 above, we didn't have a single frost this year.

BB
If it drops below that temp, how do all these tropical spiders survive? ....... they don't start looking for warm houses do they ??
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 11:29 pm
Victorian Evangelist

If it drops below that temp, how do all these tropical spiders survive? ....... they don't start looking for warm houses do they ??
Not sure what you mean by "tropical" spiders? We find the most spiders come into the house in summer - probably to escape the heat? And those are Huntsmen which are big and scary but not poisonous and in fact they prey on the other insects and spiders so they are good to have inside!

BB
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

RichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of lightRichP is a glorious beacon of light

Winter in Melbourne is cold, dull and wet. jussayin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.