Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone managed to bring cat to Australia? Many questions. AQIS don't help.

Anyone managed to bring cat to Australia? Many questions. AQIS don't help.

Old Jan 4th 2006, 3:12 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone managed to bring cat to Australia? Many questions. AQIS don't help.

Originally Posted by CKramer
Hello,

We have two show cats and plan to immigrate.

We are terrified of requirement that animal must be transported in cargo container. We heard a lot of stories of animals freeze to death, suffoceate , gone crazy or permanently scared after cargo flight.
Especially that flight from Europe to Australia is longest ever possible, more than 12 hours.
Our cats are show cats and very delicate. You just can't put them in cargo.

On the contrary there are rumours that it's possible to bring cat with you as hand lugagge into passenger compartment. Anyone can confirm that? what is the procedure? You have to beg airline to allow you ? Buy extra seat? Bribe flight attendant? All of the above?

And there is not-very-clear AQIS requirement that animal must be flown only from one of approved airports (Singapore, Copenhagen, ...), where it would be sealed in the container by veterinary service and put into cardgo. Is that true? Does that mean that you're not able to take it with you into passenger seat after all?

Anyone have experience dealing with AQIS?
Among other requirements (vaccinations) AQIS require proof that animal was living last 6 months in "approved country". What can be such "evidence", our apartment rent bills? Or should I bring animal to Australian embassy so they would acknowledge that it's living here?

AQIS is quite unhelpful. They only reply "read out instructions on site". No special cases or exceptions.

Thank you.
Stop and think logically for a minute. Apart from anything else, how on earth do you think you'd be able to deal with the food / kitty loo issues. Can you imagine how the person in the seat next to you would feel with your kitty pooing, meowing or growling in the seat next to them for 24 hours plus, and that's assuming they don't have a cat allergy, in which case I dread to think how awful the flight would be for all involved.

I've got 2 cats myself and I'm just going to leave them in the very capable hands of those who deal with this for a living. They'll be much happier in a container left to have a long cat nap than being stuck under a chair.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 6:10 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone managed to bring cat to Australia? Many questions. AQIS don't help.

I think Air France allow cats/dogs in the cabin provided they stay in the vented bag for the duration of the flight.

I cut and pasted the text below from their website......

Want to bring your pet along when you travel? To find out if your pet can travel with you in the cabin, please call Air France Reservations when booking your flight.

In the cabin In the hold As cargo
The Washington Convention

In the cabin
limited to dogs and cats weighing less than 5 kg

service animals, such as seeing-eye dogs, regardless of weight

some small mammals and birds (please ask when reserving your flight)

Restrictions: your pet must be carried in a vented bag that remains on the floor near your seat.
To ensure the comfort and safety of the other passengers, your pet must remain in its bag during the flight.

Practical information:
to avoid potential problems (vaccinations, quarantine), find out about the current regulations in the countries you are flying from and to.
For additional information or questions, please contact the Air France reservations department or contact directly at France Embassy/Consulate or the French Ministry of Agriculture (www.agriculture.gouv.fr).

In the hold
The captain will be informed that your pet is in the hold and will take the necessary steps to ensure its comfort during the flight (lighting, heating).
Dogs and cats weighing more than 5 kg must be transported in the hold.

Preparation: The passenger must prepare the animal for the trip and follow the requirements for transport: size of kennel, materials, etc.
Restrictions: for their own safety, pets may not be brought on board if their kennel does not comply with requirements.
Suggestions: to help you locate a suitable kennel, we recommend that you contact an Air France travel agent prior to departure. You may also want to ask the advice of your veterinarian.
Practical information: DonĀ“t forget to find out about the current regulations (vaccinations, quarantine, etc.) in the countries you will be flying from and to.

As cargo
All other animals must travel as freight with Air France Cargo.
To learn more about the types of animals accepted, methods of transport, and fares , please contact Air France Cargo. Air France Cargo
Old Jan 4th 2006, 6:25 pm
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CKramer
Hello,

We have two show cats and plan to immigrate.

We are terrified of requirement that animal must be transported in cargo container. We heard a lot of stories of animals freeze to death, suffoceate , gone crazy or permanently scared after cargo flight.
Especially that flight from Europe to Australia is longest ever possible, more than 12 hours.
Our cats are show cats and very delicate. You just can't put them in cargo.

On the contrary there are rumours that it's possible to bring cat with you as hand lugagge into passenger compartment. Anyone can confirm that? what is the procedure? You have to beg airline to allow you ? Buy extra seat? Bribe flight attendant? All of the above?

And there is not-very-clear AQIS requirement that animal must be flown only from one of approved airports (Singapore, Copenhagen, ...), where it would be sealed in the container by veterinary service and put into cardgo. Is that true? Does that mean that you're not able to take it with you into passenger seat after all?

Anyone have experience dealing with AQIS?
Among other requirements (vaccinations) AQIS require proof that animal was living last 6 months in "approved country". What can be such "evidence", our apartment rent bills? Or should I bring animal to Australian embassy so they would acknowledge that it's living here?

AQIS is quite unhelpful. They only reply "read out instructions on site". No special cases or exceptions.

Thank you.
Firstly, I'm loving your post!!

Don't fret, ring a reputable pet shipper and they'll be only too happy to answer your queries etc. A pet shipper is less hassle than doing it yourself. Do a search for pet shippers here. There have been heaps of posts about this.

My dog is going Friday with Golden Arrow and they have been superb so far. There are several things you must do before your pet goes but the shipper will inform you of all the requirements beforehand etc.

The moggies will definitely NOT be allowed in the cabin with you. At the airport animal reception centre they are seen by a vet before they fly and given the ok and then sealed in their container. That container will not be opened until they reach their destination. Trust me, my labrador is the most delicated, spoilt, pampered pet and I would never put him through that if I knew he wasn't going to get the best care and attention.

Good luck!

Rachel
Old Jan 4th 2006, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

bri.thomson will become famous soon enough

I think AQIS state that any animal entering into Australia MUST COME IN AS CARGO. full stop, no exceptions.

If the cargo area is 65C I guess then the chinese will find a better use for them than you will, I guess they will serve them up a "Pussy chow mein" or something like that.

About the freezing issue, not since the planes were developed with just a single wing and some jet engines has this problem been overcame. But I guess it must be a worry for us all taking our pets down with us.

If the cats are so fickle, drug them and drape them around your neck and see if anyone notices that they are still breathing on arrival. There is probably more chance of them freezing in economy than there is for them freezing in the cargo hold. :scared: