Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oh god - it's all beginning to happen...

Oh god - it's all beginning to happen...

Old Jan 4th 2006, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

Matt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to behold
Default Oh god - it's all beginning to happen...

Think we've spent the last 6 months in denial, saying "yeah, we're going to work in Melbourne - should be great" and now Xmas and New Year are over, everything seems to be going mad. We leave on the 2nd Feb and there's just so much to do. Wine and beer...beer and wine

BTW does anyone know how long things take to clear customs. We've booked a container with EMS Hansard. They say they will collect from us on 27th Jan and the ship will leave on the 7th Feb, arriving "mid-late March". But then how long does it take? I've heard nightmare stories of things taking forever to clear customs. I've got some family coming to stay for a week or two at the beginning of April and would really like to have our stuff by then...
Old Jan 4th 2006, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oh god - it's all beginning to happen...

Originally Posted by Matt Sabin
Think we've spent the last 6 months in denial, saying "yeah, we're going to work in Melbourne - should be great" and now Xmas and New Year are over, everything seems to be going mad. We leave on the 2nd Feb and there's just so much to do. Wine and beer...beer and wine

BTW does anyone know how long things take to clear customs. We've booked a container with EMS Hansard. They say they will collect from us on 27th Jan and the ship will leave on the 7th Feb, arriving "mid-late March". But then how long does it take? I've heard nightmare stories of things taking forever to clear customs. I've got some family coming to stay for a week or two at the beginning of April and would really like to have our stuff by then...
Hi,
I think ours took 7 weeks all in. About 5 weeks on the sea, then 2 weeks to clear customs and quarintine. You're brave having people to stay that quickly, hope you find somewhere to live and get settled in easily (it won't be as bad as Haggis - honest!!) Whereabouts will you be working?
Ruth
Old Jan 4th 2006, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Matt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to behold

Hi Ruth
I'll be working at the Children's hospital and my wife will be at the Royal Women's. We're both docs. Just been looking at houses to rent. Would love to be by the sea rather than in the middle of the city like Carlton. We're wondering about St Kilda's or Elwood. They're easily commutable aren't they? Not gonna do anything til we get there - got hospital accommodation sorted for the first few weeks. Just been looking at houses to rent in Mornington Peninsula - seems you get a mansion with pool, spa etc for the same price as a small house in the city...
Old Jan 4th 2006, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ruth
I'll be working at the Children's hospital and my wife will be at the Royal Women's. We're both docs. Just been looking at houses to rent. Would love to be by the sea rather than in the middle of the city like Carlton. We're wondering about St Kilda's or Elwood. They're easily commutable aren't they? Not gonna do anything til we get there - got hospital accommodation sorted for the first few weeks. Just been looking at houses to rent in Mornington Peninsula - seems you get a mansion with pool, spa etc for the same price as a small house in the city...
Hi,
Yes but you'd have a long commute from the mornington peninsula!! St Kilda or Elwood or somewhere on the bay would be closer but very busy traffic to get through the city. When we first arrived last Jan we were staying in the city and had to take my daughter to the childrens hospital. Nightmare! Not because of the traffic (it was about 8 at night) but because we hadn't a clue where to go and the doc was trying to give us directions! Thankfully she was fine. Both hospitals are on the northern side of the city but it depends what times you would need to travel.
Do you have kids? When do you arrive? Give a shout if you want any info or help from this end!
Ruth
Old Jan 4th 2006, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Ruth - might take you up on the offer of help if we get stuck at any stage. Really appreciate this.
No kids as yet - just got married about 18 months ago. Louise will be on a shift system so will be doing normal days (9-5), long days (9-9) and nights (9-9). My work at the kids will be predominantly research based so will be mainly 9-5 during the week only with some time spent out at Werribee. I suppose we'd kinda like to live by the sea and one of the guys who offered me the job said the trams were pretty good from Elwood/St Kilda's. I think we'll get there first and then start to look around. See how long it all takes to travel etc. Anything's gotta be better than here - 2 degrees, raining and dark all day. We leave on the 2nd Feb, stop in Hong Kong for 3 days of immense noodle and seafood eating and then arrive in Melbs on the 6th. We don't start work until the 20th so gives us a good couple of weeks to get sorted...
Old Jan 4th 2006, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Ruth - might take you up on the offer of help if we get stuck at any stage. Really appreciate this.
No kids as yet - just got married about 18 months ago. Louise will be on a shift system so will be doing normal days (9-5), long days (9-9) and nights (9-9). My work at the kids will be predominantly research based so will be mainly 9-5 during the week only with some time spent out at Werribee. I suppose we'd kinda like to live by the sea and one of the guys who offered me the job said the trams were pretty good from Elwood/St Kilda's. I think we'll get there first and then start to look around. See how long it all takes to travel etc. Anything's gotta be better than here - 2 degrees, raining and dark all day. We leave on the 2nd Feb, stop in Hong Kong for 3 days of immense noodle and seafood eating and then arrive in Melbs on the 6th. We don't start work until the 20th so gives us a good couple of weeks to get sorted...
Hey - not long to go then!! (and yes its loads better than Bristol!) The weather should be nice and hot in Feb and you'll be here for the commonwealth games in March. Good luck with your trip!
Ruth
Old Jan 4th 2006, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Ruth - how long you been over there? Are you staying?
Old Jan 4th 2006, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Ruth - how long you been over there? Are you staying?
Did you not just read my thread - a year in Melbourne!!! We've been here a year this week and love it, just got our permanent residency in October and are going to stay for the foreseeable future..... can't say forever cos you never know whats round the corner. We still have our house back in the uk (we didn't sell because we hadn't been here before and came on temporary visas) but will probably sell it this year - if the market picks up!
Ruth
Old Jan 4th 2006, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Oops - bad boy. Very bad boy. Must spend more hours reading threads on expats. Apologies+++

A year - that's cool. Where were you in the UK?

Off to read your thread - if I can find it...beginner nonce...
Old Jan 4th 2006, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Oh my god - that's it. I'm finally losing it. Found your thread - read through it. Like it. Looked down the list and found I'd replied already. Which meant I must have read it. Which means I must be losing it...off for wine...
Old Jan 4th 2006, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh my god - that's it. I'm finally losing it. Found your thread - read through it. Like it. Looked down the list and found I'd replied already. Which meant I must have read it. Which means I must be losing it...off for wine...
That's what I meant - I knew you'd read it cos you'd replied!!
Don't worry, you'll lose it alot in the coming months!!
Old Jan 4th 2006, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Blo**dy Nora - now you think I'm mad as well. Jeeps - off to calm down and pack a few boxes...with wine...

this forum - it's like a madhouse...who's a nut and who's a healer...?
Old Jan 4th 2006, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Blo**dy Nora - now you think I'm mad as well. Jeeps - off to calm down and pack a few boxes...with wine...

this forum - it's like a madhouse...who's a nut and who's a healer...?
You can get some lovely (cheap) wine here!
We were from Wiltshire.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

Good - will definitely need it. Cheers - talk soon...

take care