Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone made the move and had a total change of career?

Anyone made the move and had a total change of career?

Old Jul 1st 2007, 9:06 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future
Default Re: Anyone made the move and had a total change of career?

Originally Posted by taupo adventurers
how much did the hairdressing course cost you and what route got you in ?
$17k

Still working on the other bit!
Old Jul 1st 2007, 9:34 pm
Taupo, NZ, soon...?!?

taupo adventurers will become famous soon enoughtaupo adventurers will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
$17k

Still working on the other bit!
the reason I ask is I am a practicing hairdresser without paperwork so did consider re training but hope I wont have to now after being in touch with hairdressing coucil of britain thanks to joining this site its absol amazing!so helpful!
Old Jul 1st 2007, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

minibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud of

Me and my OH are migrating on my skilled visa, my other half is planning a change of career when we arrive in oz, he might go back to uni. But he is keeping his options open, he earns good money in the UK, but the pay in Oz for his job is poor. So we cant see much choice.

minibelle
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Olias
The world is his to take, does he have any dreams?

I have two friends who were in the police in the UK, both sold there houses and used the proceeds to learn to fly commercially. One fixed wing and one helicopter. Both have now left the police and one flys tourists over the grand canyon and the other flys helicopters around Miami.

I myself have had a mongrel career (bits of everything) and I am selling up to go back to uni in Oz at the age of 40 and when I have my degree I hope to get work as a park ranger in one of the national parks.

Life without dreams or adventure isn't worth having

Both of you should follow your dreams

Olias
Good for you, I had one major career change when I moved from Uk to Melbourne, then another when I moved to Queensland ( age 42) . Follow your dream you will get there , I did
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

My OH was a self-employed plumber/bathroom fitter in the UK - due to not having a licence to plumb over here, he's now assistant manager at a self-storage company.
The money is rubbish (he earned in day or two in the UK about what he earns in a week here), but it's kind of been forced on him due to not feeling inclined to go through the hassle of getting a plumbing licence (he has no quals or formal training, and would probably need to go to college to learn the other parts of plumbing which he didn't do in the UK).
He's still not sure what he wants to do - maybe buying a business will be an option in the next year or so.
I still do the same thing I've been doing for years (sub-editor) as I'm sponsored so have no choice!
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 2:12 am
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DianneH68
My OH was a self-employed plumber/bathroom fitter in the UK - due to not having a licence to plumb over here, he's now assistant manager at a self-storage company.
The money is rubbish (he earned in day or two in the UK about what he earns in a week here), but it's kind of been forced on him due to not feeling inclined to go through the hassle of getting a plumbing licence (he has no quals or formal training, and would probably need to go to college to learn the other parts of plumbing which he didn't do in the UK).
He's still not sure what he wants to do - maybe buying a business will be an option in the next year or so.
I still do the same thing I've been doing for years (sub-editor) as I'm sponsored so have no choice!
a good mate of mine was in the same predicament, a qualified builder in the UK for years, he got his building licence here by studying online, it drove him up the wall, but he got there in the end. ( You could always help him out if it is online, he sounds very disillusioned, my mate was too, he never thought he could do it.)
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

SKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud of

Been in hospitality for yrs, and self employed in hospitality for 2yrs now in belgium, when i return to OZ( born and bred in syd, move to europe late teens). We'll be just looking for a small business to buy in hospitality again, but something mon to friday daytime and hopefully a more relaxed lifestyle, just something to earns some money live and enjoy oz again.
Something everyone going there ould wish for i'd guess.
If that don't work then thinking of going back to uni and doing something else!

Good luck to all the others
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

maisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to behold
Red face Re: Anyone made the move and had a total change of career?

Originally Posted by SKIPPI79
Been in hospitality for yrs, and self employed in hospitality for 2yrs now in belgium, when i return to OZ( born and bred in syd, move to europe late teens). We'll be just looking for a small business to buy in hospitality again, but something mon to friday daytime and hopefully a more relaxed lifestyle, just something to earns some money live and enjoy oz again.
Something everyone going there ould wish for i'd guess.
If that don't work then thinking of going back to uni and doing something else!

Good luck to all the others
Hi I feel it we be lovele
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 5:37 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

My OH is having a change of career in Australia.
I'll be working full time as a nurse and he'll be going to TAFE. Not completely sure what he'll be doing yet.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

surreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Wandathecat
Hi

My partner has general management skills over here but no formal education/qualifications.

He wants to be able to do something completely differnet (he wants to be a kept man but thats not happening!!).

Is it possible to move and do something completley different???

Claire x
Hello Claire

I read your mail and the memories came flooding back. We have had our visa's for about two years, but the prospect of my OH going and doing his present job wasn't just a NO No. He hates it here so why di it in Aus. We considered buying a business for both of us to work, that didn't work out so my husband has been re-training for the last 7 months as a "Energy Assessor" for HIP, his 25 years building knowledge has made this quite easy for him. He has been offered some opportunities here once completed, but hoping that his training/knowlege can be transferred to Aus. He will I'm sure have to do more training once in Aus for their standards, but we are hoping that this will open some different doors for him within Real Estate etc..be interesting to hear from anyone in similar situation or someone who could advise us.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

scottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nice

Originally Posted by HMG
Chartered accountant now .. and plan to set up my own alternative therapy practice when we arrive. can't wait to leave the corporate world behind!
My OH has started training and practicing in alternative/holistice therapies.
Indian Head, Reiki, Reflexology, Hopi, Scandinavian Massage and stuff.
She is a qualified Graphic Designer, Visual Merchandiser and most recently
worked as an Interior Designer but she's never been happier doing what
she is learning/doing now.
She intends to do this in Aus.

I hope to do the same thing I do now but I indend working for myself instead
of for the man.

Good luck to everyone else.

Last edited by scottyboy; Jul 3rd 2007 at 11:33 am. Reason: I still can't spell fings rite.