Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone made the move and had a total change of career?

Anyone made the move and had a total change of career?

Old Jun 27th 2007, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Wandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud of
Default Anyone made the move and had a total change of career?

Hi

My partner has general management skills over here but no formal education/qualifications.

He wants to be able to do something completely differnet (he wants to be a kept man but thats not happening!!).

Is it possible to move and do something completley different???

Claire x
Old Jun 27th 2007, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

maisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone made the move and had a total change of career?

Hi there
I have a friend who emigrated who is a nurse, she has been in Oz for 3 years and is now a working artist something she dabbled with previously. She now has a website and is doing quite well! Now theres a change!
Good luck.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wandathecat
Hi

My partner has general management skills over here but no formal education/qualifications.

He wants to be able to do something completely differnet (he wants to be a kept man but thats not happening!!).

Claire x
Yes i have, 22yrs in the Royal Navy (Submariner) now self employed wall and floor tiler. Never worked so hard in all my life not enough hrs in the day or days in the week. Been practically non-stop for the past year. I now know i can sleep at night knowing i have earn't my money

John
Old Jun 27th 2007, 2:09 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Claire x
Staring this in the face (civil servant)

Sigh..
Old Jun 27th 2007, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to behold

The world is his to take, does he have any dreams?

I have two friends who were in the police in the UK, both sold there houses and used the proceeds to learn to fly commercially. One fixed wing and one helicopter. Both have now left the police and one flys tourists over the grand canyon and the other flys helicopters around Miami.

I myself have had a mongrel career (bits of everything) and I am selling up to go back to uni in Oz at the age of 40 and when I have my degree I hope to get work as a park ranger in one of the national parks.

Life without dreams or adventure isn't worth having

Both of you should follow your dreams

Olias
Old Jun 27th 2007, 6:08 pm
DJC
Forum Regular

DJC has a spectacular aura aboutDJC has a spectacular aura aboutDJC has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
Yes i have, 22yrs in the Royal Navy (Submariner) now self employed wall and floor tiler. Never worked so hard in all my life not enough hrs in the day or days in the week. Been practically non-stop for the past year. I now know i can sleep at night knowing i have earn't my money

John
Hi John,

We are moving to Perth in November.
Very interested in how you got into doing tiling over there. My OH is in engineering but for the last umpteen years has been rennovating properties in his spare time. He loves tiling and plumbing (and is very good at it) but I've heard that for plumbing you have to have a license. I hope you don't mind me asking you, but do you have to get a license for tiling? If so, what's involved please?
It's great to hear of people heading to the other side of the world and having a change of career. It gives me hope. I'm desperate to get out of I.T!!!

Cheers
Debs
Old Jun 27th 2007, 8:19 pm
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DJC
Hi John,

Very interested in how you got into doing tiling over there. My OH is in engineering but for the last umpteen years has been rennovating properties in his spare time. He loves tiling and plumbing (and is very good at it) but I've heard that for plumbing you have to have a license. I hope you don't mind me asking you, but do you have to get a license for tiling? If so, what's involved please?
It's great to hear of people heading to the other side of the world and having a change of career. It gives me hope. I'm desperate to get out of I.T!!!

Cheers
Debs

i hope to have a change of career............i hopefully am going to enjoy my career
Old Jun 27th 2007, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

I have been in catering for 20+ years and whilst i will still have to work in the trade to keep a roof over my head I am seriously contemplating training to be a teacher once in Oz
Old Jun 28th 2007, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DJC
Hi John,

Cheers
Debs
Hi Debs,

Will get John to send you PM when he gets home from work.

Nicky
Old Jun 28th 2007, 7:28 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

My wife worked in advertising for a subsiduary of Satchi Satchi. She worked hard and earned good money. But when we moved from Thailand to Sydney. She was happy to get out of that field. She first worked in a dentist and hated that. She now works in an old folks home as nurse while doing a nursing course which her company paid for. Loves her job and earns a good wage.

Last edited by Jockstar; Jun 28th 2007 at 8:22 am.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 8:04 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Claire x
Life is what you make it Claire. The only boundaries are your own inibitions.

I'll never be a school teacha
Old Jun 28th 2007, 9:29 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Last 10 years in the UK ... London cabbie!

Last 15 months in Oz ... training to be a hairdresser!
Old Jun 28th 2007, 12:41 pm
HMG
Just Joined

HMG is an unknown quantity at this point

Chartered accountant now .. and plan to set up my own alternative therapy practice when we arrive. can't wait to leave the corporate world behind!
Old Jul 1st 2007, 8:04 pm
Taupo, NZ, soon...?!?

taupo adventurers will become famous soon enoughtaupo adventurers will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
Last 10 years in the UK ... London cabbie!

Last 15 months in Oz ... training to be a hairdresser!
how much did the hairdressing course cost you and what route got you in ?
Old Jul 1st 2007, 8:18 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a production engineer/fitter at the mo' but i really don't fancy doing that when we get to aussie.I'll do anything to be honest....postie,roadsweeper,deck chair attendant....not fussed really
The missus is really career minded so i've told her to get on with it

Lee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.