Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone living in Yeronga, Brisbane?

Anyone living in Yeronga, Brisbane?

Old Jun 20th 2006, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

justinehelen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone living in Yeronga, Brisbane?

Me, my husband and 2 small children are moving to Brisbane in 7 weeks (getting scary now) and would love some advice on the suburb of Yeronga if anybody out there has any. It looks ideal for families and seems to have lots of facilities. Can anybody offer any assistance please. Thanks
Old Jun 20th 2006, 3:18 pm
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone living in Yeronga, Brisbane?

Originally Posted by justinehelen
Me, my husband and 2 small children are moving to Brisbane in 7 weeks (getting scary now) and would love some advice on the suburb of Yeronga if anybody out there has any. It looks ideal for families and seems to have lots of facilities. Can anybody offer any assistance please. Thanks
I don't live in Yeronga specifically (in fact I'm in the UK at the moment ) but I have lived in the general area previously and will be returning to that area later this year.

Yeronga is great for families - quick transport links to the city via train and bus. There are any number of reasonable schools in the area, and from memory about half the population of Yeronga is made up of families with children. Being a slightly older area, there are well-established parks and lots of trees, so it is quite green and plesant looking. There are also less housing developments (apartments / townhouses) than you might find in other areas. Because it is so close to the city and also on the river it has seen a sharp increase in house prices in the past few years but there are still bargains to be had, particularly if you don't mind doing some renovation work. There is a "green bridge" (pedestrian) development proposed for Dutton Park (just up the road) and the old Tennyson power station (2 mins drie) is being redeveloped into an international tennis complex and luxury riverfront housing development and these will undoubtedly have an impact on house prices in the coming 12 - 24 months.

One drawback to Yeronga is that there isn't a major shopping centre, but there are several in easy reach - one on Fairfield Road (2 mins) and others in Annerley (5 mins) and Indooroopilly (10 mins). Good discount / outlet shopping for clothes and homewares in Stone's Corner, which is only a 5 minute drive away. Yeronga is also close to the Pricess Alexandra hospital (which has A&E). There is a good hairdresser (Bossy Hair) and butcher at the local Yeronga shops, and plenty of good restaurants in the surrounding areas.

Having mentioned shopping on Fairfield Road, I have to say that this is a fairly busy road, which detracts from Yeronga's appeal but as long as you don't live directly on it you will be fine. The plus point to Fairfield Road is that it gives you access to the Ipswich Motorway and other "back door" routes to getting around Brisbane without having to go via the City for motorway access.

Personally I think Yeronga is a great area and one of the few "inner city" suburbs that hasn't been overrun by commerical development. Guess that's why I'm moving back to that area!

Check out http://www.ourbrisbane.com/living/suburbs/yeronga/home/

Good luck with your move!
Alicia
Old Jun 20th 2006, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

justinehelen is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the information Alicia, we will definitely consider Yeronga as a place to rent in. Justine
Old Jun 20th 2006, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

Hi there, Yeronga is great but getting very sought after now as the Green Bridge nears completion (supposed to be Feb next year but I was speaking to a crane driver the other day and he said they will be finished by September!). Make sure you're not too near the railway line as it can be noisy but it's very handy to have for travelling. Be aware that the rental market is very tight now with 5 or 6 applications in for every property coming up so prices are rising. Parts of Yeronga are getting more town house developments on older blocks now but as the previous poster said, it is a very nice area with lots of facilities.

Sue