Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone lived in Oz over 5 years and intend to stay for good?

Anyone lived in Oz over 5 years and intend to stay for good?

Old Mar 2nd 2004, 7:40 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Harryh
The main thing that drives people back to Britain from Australia is work. In Australia we work long hours and the jobs are generally not that stable.
get off yer Arse ,and create yer own job , plenty of scope here , just ask Dotty .................... MM
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 7:46 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by mr mover
get off yer Arse ,and create yer own job , plenty of scope here , just ask Dotty .................... MM
I've got to agree with that.
I've started two businesses in OZ before, and if I had the enthusiasm to "get off my arse" (nicely worded, mr mover), I would really get going in starting another one.

But then, not everyone is able to start their own thing.

Old Mar 2nd 2004, 8:29 am
IOU
Just Joined

IOU is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all
I have lived here now for a year (so I'm still a newbie). In that time I have seperated from my wife etc etc etc....despite this I think coming here was the best move we ever made and this is despite the above and also issues like less pay and longer hours. I have looked on this forum a great deal particularly when I first arrived here and have found it very helpful really despite some posting from people who still seem to be struggling with the "oh god what have we done" thing. We fully intend to stay here permanently and fortunately have no desire to return to the UK. I think some people tend to get very homesick and miss the familiarity of the UK which leads to viewing the place with rose tinted glasses. Best thing to do I think is to go back for a short holiday there if this happens to remind yourself why you left in the first place...just my two pennies worth!
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

Thank you all for your replies, I got a buzz from reading them.

I sometimes read the posts on this site and get really fed up and even wonder what the hell we are doing. That is why I asked the question because I knew there MUST be some that have stayed and love Oz.

My husband has an uncle & auntie that came to NSW in the 70's and he has never once come back to England, he said he has no intention to either. He loves the place, his wife loves it aswell but has visited the U.K a few times to see family.

If I am as happy as they are after a few years in Oz then I know it will have been all worthwhile.

Mandy
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 3:09 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

As I said above Mandy I love Aus but sometimes I wonder why when like yesterday morning I went home after my nightshift to be met by a huge huntsman in the kitchen. Yes I'm a big wuss but boy I hate those things
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

Huntsman, yes I met one when we were visiting NSW.

I pointed out a small spider to my husband and his auntie but then she pointed to the huntsman (hadn't seen him!). My husband jumped over the bed and ran out of the room shouting that he was sleeping in the car! She explained that wasn't a good idea as they could get in there too (I don't know if that was just to scare him some more).

Anyhow, he slept in the bedroom after killing the huntsman but was very nervous.

How will he survive in Oz, that's the question!

Mandy
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 3:37 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Aren't us guys so brave. Its true about the car, Ive been lucky so far but my Mrs has had two drop down from behind the sunshade. I believe theres quite a few accidents caused in Aus because of Huntsmen. Don't want to put your hubby off.
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by invictia
We've been here 5 years in September and would never consider going back except for a visit in about 7 years when youngest child has finished Year 12. Family came to visit for Xmas, nice to see them but just as nice when they've gone, both of us have got jobs, eldest son is in the Australian Navy, other 2 settled in school, the grass is not greener - just a different shade! Really believe that you have to give it at least 3 years to settle, try to do things the "aussie" way and embrace the new culture.
You married an Aussie guy didn't you? Does it help with the settling process to have immediate family in Australia? Do the kids have grandparents in Oz?
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Bordy
my Mrs has had two drop down from behind the sunshade.
I had a spider drop down on me from the sunshade once too, lucky I didn't crash especially with my mum screaming and flailing about too - yes this was in the UK a few years ago. Hasn't happened here.....yet. Just to be sure, I never leave the car doors open, always use the aircon rather than open the windows, and never use the sunroof - important if you park under trees! Also in the UK I can remember more than once, having a wasp inside the car almost causing a crash. I was really paranoid about spiders when we first arrived here, but not so bad now, we're getting used to seeing Redbacks and we always have a can of spray handy to zap the little blighters. My sister, however lives out in the middle of nowhere, and she encountered five hunstmen last week alone! :scared: I'm not planning to visit her for a while, must be the hot weather bringing them out, luckily her partner thinks nothing of picking them up and disposing of them.