Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone know what snake this is?

Anyone know what snake this is?

Old Apr 17th 2006, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

extrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really nice
Default Anyone know what snake this is?

We came across a snake in a park just outside Yea in Victoria. I was sort of expecting to see one because it had been a cold night and it was a quiet sunny morning. Oh, and there was a sign saying that dogs must be on a lead, and watch out for snakes.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/attac...id=27124&stc=1

This one is a close up of its head
http://britishexpats.com/forum/attac...id=27123&stc=1

this one shows more of its colour.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/attac...id=27122&stc=1

I would love to know if its a poisonous one. I reckon if you know snakes, the photos should be clear enough to identify it. I searched the internet because I thought it might be an eastern brown snake (well it was brown), but I think its belly is too light in colour.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone know what snake this is?-snake2.jpg   Anyone know what snake this is?-snake.jpg   Anyone know what snake this is?-sign.jpg  
Old Apr 17th 2006, 9:32 am
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone know what snake this is?

Originally Posted by extrameant
We came across a snake in a park just outside Yea in Victoria. I was sort of expecting to see one because it had been a cold night and it was a quiet sunny morning. Oh, and there was a sign saying that dogs must be on a lead, and watch out for snakes.

I would love to know if its a poisonous one. I reckon if you know snakes, the photos should be clear enough to identify it. I searched the internet because I thought it might be an eastern brown snake (well it was brown), but I think its belly is too light in colour.

I believe your right mate, it doesn't have the markings of a tiger snake. Defiantly poisonous.

ZX.....
Old Apr 17th 2006, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it is probably an Eastern brown. Tiger snakes hang out near water and sometimes their stripes aren't really visible but this looks more like an Eastern brown to me.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

extrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really nice

Originally Posted by Teliko21
Yes, it is probably an Eastern brown. Tiger snakes hang out near water and sometimes their stripes aren't really visible but this looks more like an Eastern brown to me.
I never thought about it being a tiger snake. Should have said, it was just over 1m long. Seemed a happy snake, didn't bother us, and wasn't in a hurry to get away either. It just kept spreading itself as flat as it could go, presumably cos it was cold and wanted the sun.

The things I read on the internet said brown snakes bellies are yellow~orangy yellow. This one had a slight green tinge to it, so made me think it might not be. I also read that visual identification can be hard. Seems the concensus so far is a brown snake then? Cheers for the replies.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to all

I can definately tell you one thing, the bloody thing is to close for my liking :scared: :scared: The only good snake that I know is a dead `un! :scared:
Old Apr 17th 2006, 10:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zx10r_aus
Defiantly poisonous.
And proud of it as well.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 11:00 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Spreading it self out ready to strike hope you had a long lense on... :scared: .
Old Apr 17th 2006, 11:00 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm with the others ... very pretty creature too.

I quite like it's confidence.... staying there to warm up while you took pics.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Ach, we liked the wee beastie. Watched it for about 5 mins and then it went into the grass and left just its tail in view. I then made a lot of noise and tramped about nearby to see if it would nip off smart like, but it just stayed there with its tail hanging out. I wouldn't bet on snakes getting out your way, best to keep out of long grass imo.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 11:19 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Ach, we liked the wee beastie. Watched it for about 5 mins and then it went into the grass and left just its tail in view. I then made a lot of noise and tramped about nearby to see if it would nip off smart like, but it just stayed there with its tail hanging out. I wouldn't bet on snakes getting out your way, best to keep out of long grass imo.
MMMMmmmm sure all the snake things recommend standing still not tramping around but liked your pics anyway and being into photography would probably have done the same... .
Old Apr 20th 2006, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

tony61 is an unknown quantity at this point

They go flat when they are pissed off - like cobra's do the hood thing. Watch out!!
Old Apr 20th 2006, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Poppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond repute

:scared:
Old Apr 21st 2006, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tony61
They go flat when they are pissed off - like cobra's do the hood thing. Watch out!!
Yeah but how could it bite me, it wasn't even raining, and everyone knows you are more likely to get hit by lightning than bitten by a snake.

Actually, it was indeed a tiger snake, according to the scales on its head. They are prone to be aggessive if provoked and can chase you especially at certain times of year. They can also bark as a sign of warning apparently. As if it needs to.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 12:34 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Originally Posted by Teliko21
Yes, it is probably an Eastern brown.
Agreed. I'm no expert, but have seen a few like that and always classed them as brown snakes. I've had at least 3 of them slither past me showing little interest in attacking, but one did come at me forcing a rapid retreat.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 2:17 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

This snake is definitely an Eastern Brown Snake Pseudonaja textilis.

There are other similar snakes in Victoria including the Lowland Copperhead and Black Whip Snake, but it's neither of these. The former has a coppery burnish to its flanks and is fatter in appearance; the Black Whip snake is smaller and slimmer, often with black around its eyes, which can make it resemble a young Eastern Brown. It certainly isn't an Eastern Tiger snake. They are much fatter, with a completely different shaped head. They usually also have stripes, except the melanistic ones.

Eastern Browns have that kind of 'frown' that you see on this one, and the cream-coloured underside is diagnostic, though they can be much darker, even black in colour. Your snake must have been pretty cold, because normally they are very nervous around people and may coil up and strike repeatedly if you get too close.

Thanks for the pics!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.