Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone know what snake this is?

Anyone know what snake this is?

Old Apr 21st 2006, 2:32 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone know what snake this is?

Originally Posted by extrameant
We came across a snake in a park just outside Yea in Victoria. I was sort of expecting to see one because it had been a cold night and it was a quiet sunny morning. Oh, and there was a sign saying that dogs must be on a lead, and watch out for snakes.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/attac...id=27124&stc=1

This one is a close up of its head
http://britishexpats.com/forum/attac...id=27123&stc=1

this one shows more of its colour.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/attac...id=27122&stc=1

I would love to know if its a poisonous one. I reckon if you know snakes, the photos should be clear enough to identify it. I searched the internet because I thought it might be an eastern brown snake (well it was brown), but I think its belly is too light in colour.
I think that this particular snake is called "Sid".

Personally, I think that the snake should be on a lead too.....

Last edited by DunRoaminTheUK; Apr 21st 2006 at 3:43 am.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

extrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really nice

Originally Posted by tonyk38
This snake is definitely an Eastern Brown Snake Pseudonaja textilis.

There are other similar snakes in Victoria including the Lowland Copperhead and Black Whip Snake, but it's neither of these. The former has a coppery burnish to its flanks and is fatter in appearance; the Black Whip snake is smaller and slimmer, often with black around its eyes, which can make it resemble a young Eastern Brown. It certainly isn't an Eastern Tiger snake. They are much fatter, with a completely different shaped head. They usually also have stripes, except the melanistic ones.

Eastern Browns have that kind of 'frown' that you see on this one, and the cream-coloured underside is diagnostic, though they can be much darker, even black in colour. Your snake must have been pretty cold, because normally they are very nervous around people and may coil up and strike repeatedly if you get too close.

Thanks for the pics!
I'm sure you know your snakes, but is there any chance you have this the wrong way round? I spent a couple of hours searching the internet on both tiger snakes and brown snakes and the best match I came up with was
http://www.australianfauna.com/tigersnake.php (top left piccy looks just like it to me)
and this, which is a gov factsheet so presumably has some authority behind it
http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/factshee...ife/Snakes.pdf
The scales on the head of the tiger snake seem to be a perfect match to the photo. I never saw a good picture of a brown snake's head but those that I could half make out seemed to be quite different, which made me wonder if you have it the wrong way round. Here's a big close up of its head again. http://britishexpats.com/forum/attac...id=27319&stc=1
Try comparing that to the fact sheet and see what you think. I know the fact sheet is for tasmanian tiger snakes, but they will be closer to mainland ones than brownsnakes and like I said, the piccies of brownsnakes I saw seemed a bit different. Im beginning to think everyone (including the gov factsheet) just makes it up cos its so hard to tell the difference.

Another thing is the snake was in a wetland area park and they all say brown snakes like dry areas but tiger snakes don't mind wet areas.

One thing seems to be apparent from the info I found after searching is that visual identification is very unreliable presumably cos they all just look brown and a bit snake like.

Something else I found out which I didn't know before is that the venom (preumably only the nuerotoxic part) travels in the lymphatic system just under the skin and not in the blood. Thats why it is best to apply a pressure bandage rather than a tourniquet if you get bitten.

I'll need to get a book out the library to convince myself yet, unless you've got some good photos of a brown snake head?
Attached Thumbnails Anyone know what snake this is?-snake4.jpg  
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 1:24 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

I see what you're saying about the head scales and it certainly is compelling. Yes, snakes can be very tricky to identify, and although I can normally spot the difference between these two species a mile off, occasional ones give cause for confusion. Normally, unbanded Eastern Tigers are largely confined to the Flinders Ranges, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility that they are found elsewhere. Having said that, the head scales can sometimes be variable on both species. The main thing I immediately noticed with yours is its overall girth, and the head size in relationship to the body. If you google a range of pics of Eastern Tigers, you'll notice how fat this snake usually is. So if it is a Tiger, it's an exceptionally thin one! That being said, without seeing the snake myself, I can only say I'm 95% certain it's an Eastern Brown, not a Tiger. So perhaps saying I was definite was a bit hasty. Sorry, but I can't be more conclusive than that.
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

I am not an expert on snakes but must say that i spotted a Tiger last year. It was much longer and fatter than this one in the picture. The one I saw was quite colourful compared to this one too, though that may have something to do with the weather as it was in the summer.
Luckily I was sat parked in my car when I saw it, and i can tell you now, thats where I stayed until it had gone in the opposite direction to where i was going.

We have seen a lot more snakes this year than the previous 2 summers, and I suppose it doesn't help when you are living on a block.

I have been told by the locals, that snakes can vary in colour by quite a bit.

Whisky :scared:
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

And....... The head was bigger - flatter and wider

whisky