Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone know how to reduce Webcam file?

Anyone know how to reduce Webcam file?

Old Jun 20th 2005, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone know how to reduce Webcam file?

Sorry,
I'm sure there's somewhere more suitable for this thread but you are all so knowledgeable that I thought I would try here first!
We are managing to 'connect live' with family back home using said webcam, however, children aren't always compliant so it's easier for us to record a message and then send it.
Problem is the file is massive, and when I go to the 'compress' option it gives me so many choices e.g.

WMVideo Encoder DMO
MSScreen Encoder DMO
MJPEG Compressor

Why is my 70 year old Father-in-Law having no problem with this?

My software came with instructions but I can't see it anywhere

Thanks all for your patience!
Old Jun 20th 2005, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

Coulterk will become famous soon enoughCoulterk will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone know how to reduce Webcam file?

Most webcams come with a pretty good capture and compression codec. It depends on what you are expecting in file size reduction. The main thing that is quick is to reduce the resolution on the image and the audio quality depending on what your software allows you to do.

Getting a little more complicated, you can run it through an additional piece of software that produces a smaller file. These can also degrade the picture, but sometimes they can be very good in stripping out the stuff that you do not normally see.

Example of some good software is TMPGEnc which I use for video editing compression and conversion of files.

There are heaps of conversion utilities but the one I have suggested is one of the best. You can also try it and see if it does what you want.

This will be a bit of trial and error for you because different programs cope with different source files differently (!).

You can go to www.download.com and select the Audio & Video section and then the sections on either encoders, or video to see software in the areas you will be interested in - you want a video encoder. Search for TMPGEnc or go to their website (http://www.tmpgenc.net) to download it. This one is free.

If you have not used download.com before then you will see a mixture of free, trial and pay software. You can also see how people rate it.

You may have to try a few before you find one that does what you want.