Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone know the costs involved with transferring savings to Australia?

Old Feb 17th 2009, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

BeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really nice
Default Anyone know the costs involved with transferring savings to Australia?

are there any taxes involved? Usually only profits are taxed but anyone have any problem transferring their personal savings to oz?
Old Feb 17th 2009, 10:20 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Anyone know the costs involved with transferring savings to Australia?

The bank charged me £10. HSBC to HSBC.

No tax of course, as there was no profits.

Old Feb 17th 2009, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone know the costs involved with transferring savings to Australia?

Transfered large wedge from Lloyds to ANZ account,£25 but exchange rate as good as HiFx.Very surprised,No drama,And a text message later in the day to confirm transfer.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 11:43 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by skinnygeorge
Transfered large wedge from Lloyds to ANZ account,£25 but exchange rate as good as HiFx.Very surprised,No drama,And a text message later in the day to confirm transfer.
I got phone call for mine, from HSBC, but he didn't realise I was in Australia, he rang at about 2am in the morning !!

It is a call I will never forget, as I wasn't too awake when I got the call, and I jumped for joy when I heard how much I had received, and my hand was hit by the revolving ceiling fan!

Old Feb 17th 2009, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

BeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really nice

thanks guys. how can you profit from transfer of savings? so they will tax you?

what about paying stamp tax on the transfer?
Old Feb 17th 2009, 11:56 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by BeachBassist
thanks guys. how can you profit from transfer of savings? so they will tax you?

what about paying stamp tax on the transfer?
Can't help on that, I am allergic to finding ways that cause tax to be paid.

No stamp tax on transfer.

Old Feb 18th 2009, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Can't help on that, I am allergic to finding ways that cause tax to be paid.

No stamp tax on transfer.

cool. thanks.

just was asking cause a friend of mine moved to the UK and he said he had to pay stamp tax of transfer of his savings to the UK. thought it might be the same to Australia.