Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Process when applying for citizenship

Process when applying for citizenship

Old Feb 17th 2009, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default Process when applying for citizenship

Hi all,

Hubby and I can apply for citizenship at the end March.

We are based in Perth.

Hubby is also starting a university course this semester and if he is a citizen by August 31st he can get a greater reduction in his fees for semester 2.

I've heard a few people mention that they have taken the test and lodged the paperwork on the same day to speed up the application process. I wanted to book our tests asap but if it is better to wait until 30 March and do test and submit on the same day then I'll do that.

What does everyone think is the quickest way to do this. It looks like a very tight deadline of 31 August for processing and ceremony but worth a shot. Anyone else applied recently from Rockingham area??

Thanks in advance.

Poppet
Old Feb 17th 2009, 1:47 am
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Process when applying for citizenship

You can do your tests in advance, although there may be a waiting list to do them depending on where you are - so I would get them booked asap.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 1:55 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

As a citizen your OH is likely to be able to access HECS debt. That way can avoid paying any fees in advance but instead run up HECS then repay once on a certain salary.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 3:55 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I would call right away to arrange a time to book your test. I booked mine in Brisbane and it was a 2 month wait to get in.

So call now and hopefully you can get the date you want, or shortly after you are eligible. Also, make sure you get your dates exactly right, it might be a good idea to leave a couple of days extra so that you're sure you've got the required time in Oz.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 5:20 am
Just Joined

markmason is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Sorry if this is th wrong place for it you are are on the way in the process.
My question is,I am here on a sponsored 457 visa but some parts of my job I have found out I need a security licence for which I need to be a citizen.
Do you know how long you have to have been living in Oz for before you can applie.I live in Sydney if that makes a difference.

Thanks Mark
Old Feb 17th 2009, 5:28 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

If you are on a 457 now then you will have to become a Permanent Resident before you can become a citizen.

Under current rules, once you are PR you can become a citizen after 4 years. Up to 3 years of your time here on 457 can count towards that 4 year requirment.

As I say, you will have to find outhow to become PR first. There is no time limit as such between being here on 457 and applying for PR. PR however might have some timre related requirements depending on the specific visa you apply for.

Originally Posted by markmason
Hi

Sorry if this is th wrong place for it you are are on the way in the process.
My question is,I am here on a sponsored 457 visa but some parts of my job I have found out I need a security licence for which I need to be a citizen.
Do you know how long you have to have been living in Oz for before you can applie.I live in Sydney if that makes a difference.

Thanks Mark
Old Feb 17th 2009, 6:36 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Hi all,

Hubby and I can apply for citizenship at the end March.

We are based in Perth.

Hubby is also starting a university course this semester and if he is a citizen by August 31st he can get a greater reduction in his fees for semester 2.

I've heard a few people mention that they have taken the test and lodged the paperwork on the same day to speed up the application process. I wanted to book our tests asap but if it is better to wait until 30 March and do test and submit on the same day then I'll do that.

What does everyone think is the quickest way to do this. It looks like a very tight deadline of 31 August for processing and ceremony but worth a shot. Anyone else applied recently from Rockingham area??

Thanks in advance.

Poppet
Call to book your tests now, Poppet. There's about a 6 week wait to do the tests so you can ask to do them the first week of April. Be sure to bring all the paperwork on the forms and bring your kids' passports and longform birth certificates and your marriage certificate. You can apply straight away if you have passed the tests and have all the proper paperwork with you.

You should be able to get your interviews and a ceremony by August if you apply the day you do your tests. But, book soon!
Old Feb 17th 2009, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Call to book your tests now, Poppet. There's about a 6 week wait to do the tests so you can ask to do them the first week of April. Be sure to bring all the paperwork on the forms and bring your kids' passports and longform birth certificates and your marriage certificate. You can apply straight away if you have passed the tests and have all the proper paperwork with you.

You should be able to get your interviews and a ceremony by August if you apply the day you do your tests. But, book soon!
Thanks for the responses. I've booked for April 3rd.

I am going to get a new UK passport for my daughter now. Hubby also has a new one. Stamps will then be in the old passports.

Will they give us back our UK passports to travel with if we do it in person. Also can they put stamps in the news ones at this centre?

Sorry for all the questions. So far today I've found out I need to do much more paperwork before this baby drops than I had wanted.

1) new passport visa stamp in hubby's passport
2) new passport and new stamp for daugther
3) citizenship test
4) Police checks for citizenship tests
5) Citizenship application
6) Birth Certificate for new baby when it arrives
7) New Australian passport for baby when I have obtained birth certificate.

Does Australian baby need any visa to travel to the UK?

This is me trying to make a mental log of all the things I have to get sorted with a pregnant brain. Ahhhhhhhhhh! At least now I know what I'll be doing with a bit more time before baby arrives and kids are starting school and daycare!!!
Old Feb 17th 2009, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Shouldn't do, provided that you are a British Citizen by birth as the baby will be a British Citizen by descent - might be worth getting him/her a UK passport as well as an Aussie one, that's what I'm planning to do once mine arrives in May/June
Old Feb 17th 2009, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TillyG
Shouldn't do, provided that you are a British Citizen by birth as the baby will be a British Citizen by descent - might be worth getting him/her a UK passport as well as an Aussie one, that's what I'm planning to do once mine arrives in May/June
I'm not sure how long it will take to get the UK passport. We will be travelling at 7 weeks old. Would like to get passport but the cost is adding up very quickly for all these things. Ouch its hurting.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 12:28 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Not for a vacation.