Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone from Ireland on here

Anyone from Ireland on here

Old Sep 12th 2007, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

brisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone from Ireland on here

Originally Posted by scrum
Hi there

We are family of 4 heading for Melbourne in Jan 08. Just wondering if there was anyone else on here from my neck of the woods.

Living in Laois at the moment after nearly 17 years in the UK we came back and it was the biggest mistake ever.

Hubby IT Manager, I'm at home and we have two girls 7 and 9.

Trish
I am from Waterford, living in Suffolk for the last 5 years or so.Application about to be lodged for the new 175 in the next couple of days.Can't wait!!! Then just sit back for the long wait.
We are hoping to head off to Brisbane, me, hubby and baby (bump at the moment).It is all very exciting and worrying aswell (can we afford to buy a home in Brisbane?)
Good luck to everyone!
Old Sep 12th 2007, 9:47 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Reckon for all the Brissie/Gold Coast people we will have to organise a meet somewhere - someday.........
What would be the earliest date?

Andrew
Old Sep 13th 2007, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough

Great to hear from you again. It looks like you have it all sorted out.

Melbourne as well eh? You following me again? LOL

Which agent did you use or did you go it alone and be big and brave. hee hee

Keep me updated.

Trish
Hi Trish
We are not using an agent as it looks straightforward enough for us (or so we think!). No problems so far anyway.
Not sure where we will head to in melbourne but have been looking at those places you recommended to me a couple of months back. We will probably rent for a while (maybe a year or two) to get a feel for the place and to give us time to check out the different areas.
We have family in sydney and they told us last week that houses prices are slowly coming down and are expected to come down a lot over the next year or two. Let's hope they are right cause we dont want them to keep rising at least untill we buy.
Whats going on over at the other forum, was down for a few days and now its all changed???? Have been so busy the last month or so havent really been on either site for a while.
How did it go telling your family of your plans?
I told my mum and dad. Mum was happy for us but dad was a bit peeved off. Havent told my sisters yet.
Good luck!
Old Sep 13th 2007, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

sandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to all

Originally Posted by storms
Hi Sandav

Arrived in Perth on 14th August, from Celbridge, just down the road from you!! Relatives who live in Lucan, and kids went to school in Leixlip.

So far so good, OH had couple of interviews, kids at school, and all is well, if not really windy and raining in Perth, need any info, just give us a shout.

Storms
Dont know yet when we will be arriving. Had Estate Agent around yesterday so will be back on Monday to do photos. When we get out there we are staying with a couple who are from Dublin while we look for a rental.
After the summer we have just had I am looking forward to a bit of sunshine, but having said that the last couple of weeks havent been too bad. Kids back in school wouldnt you know.
What part of Perth are you in. We are going to Warnbro when we arrive so will probably look around that way for rental. But while in rental will have a good look around to see where we will settle.
If I need to know anything I will definitly give you a shout.

Sandra
Old Sep 13th 2007, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

sandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dolly
Hello everyone

We're over in sunny Mayo at the moment but we have our visas and depending on the house sale, we are hoping to move to Melbourne sometime in November.

I'm originally from Richmond just outside London but OH is from Donegal, and we've been living in Mayo for the past seven years.

Can't wait to get to Melbourne, and I'm really looking forward to some sunshine

Hello Sandra by the way, when do you expect to be off?

Dolly
Hi Katie

Dont know when we will be off yet. House going on market next week. Estate Agent coming on Monday to do photos, you would think it was going into Hello mag the way I'm going on. But thank god they seem to be selling around us at the mo. So its keep the fingers crossed time and wait again. When are you thinking of heading off and has the house sale gone through yet.

Sandra
Old Sep 13th 2007, 12:05 pm
"At Home"

ekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really nice

Hey guys, two Dubs here in the central coast, got here in January and it is beautiful even if it has been raining a lot.What you'd call warm rain. There's no going back as kids are also very settled and happy here now. Best of luck to those on there way and embrace it with both arms. E.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

scrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ekiec
Hey guys, two Dubs here in the central coast, got here in January and it is beautiful even if it has been raining a lot.What you'd call warm rain. There's no going back as kids are also very settled and happy here now. Best of luck to those on there way and embrace it with both arms. E.
Cheers for that. It's always great to hear from those who have made the move already and love Oz.

What part of Dublin are you from? O/H is from Artane and I'm Cork heading for Melbourne.

Trish
Old Sep 14th 2007, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough

Anyone going to the downunder expo next month? Its on in the RDS.
Do you have to buy tickets online before you go or can you just buy it at the door?
Anyone there last year, whats was it like, was it worth it to go?
Old Sep 14th 2007, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sandav
Hi Katie

Dont know when we will be off yet. House going on market next week. Estate Agent coming on Monday to do photos, you would think it was going into Hello mag the way I'm going on. But thank god they seem to be selling around us at the mo. So its keep the fingers crossed time and wait again. When are you thinking of heading off and has the house sale gone through yet.

Sandra
Hi Sandra

We're hoping to get going in mid November. We've accepted an offer on our house and are just waiting for the buyers to sign the contracts, so we can't really book anything until that happens.

I was the same when our house was on the market, up early every day hoovering and mopping and putting white fluffy towels out but it seems to have worked because things are very slow here in Mayo at the moment so we were releaved to get a buyer.

Good luck with your own house, things do seem to be picking up a bit at last.

Katie
Old Sep 14th 2007, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by soulrebel
Do you have to buy tickets online before you go or can you just buy it at the door?
We went to the last 2 and just paid at the door. I found the first one good but last years not up to much. But having said that I am tempted to go to this one, don't know why maybe just to hear the accent. But think Dave (OH) might have something to say about that.

Sandra
Old Sep 14th 2007, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dolly
Hi Sandra

We're hoping to get going in mid November. We've accepted an offer on our house and are just waiting for the buyers to sign the contracts, so we can't really book anything until that happens.

I was the same when our house was on the market, up early every day hoovering and mopping and putting white fluffy towels out but it seems to have worked because things are very slow here in Mayo at the moment so we were releaved to get a buyer.

Good luck with your own house, things do seem to be picking up a bit at last.

Katie
Hi Katie

I have all the fluffy towels and nice duvet covers stored seperatly so no one gets there hands on them. They think I am losing the plot here. I know the cleaning is the killer but the Estate Agent said he will give me 1 days notice on viewings. Well if it goes quick I dont mind. One around the corner from me went in 15 hrs about 3 weeks ago. Now that is what I call luck, I could do with that.
Let us know when you get your defininite date to go. It woud be nice to hear how you are getting on.

Sandra
Old Sep 14th 2007, 10:29 am
"At Home"

ekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really nice

Cheers for that. It's always great to hear from those who have made the move already and love Oz.

What part of Dublin are you from? O/H is from Artane and I'm Cork heading for Melbourne.

Trish
Dundrum-Southside. Whats funny is our neighbours here are from corkaigh. No getting away from us. The other Aussies in the street will start selling up soon. E
Old Sep 14th 2007, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

scrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by soulrebel
We're considering going - will let you know if we do and we can meet for a beer. Buy tickets at the door - 10 quid each but kids get in free.

Trish
Old Sep 14th 2007, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ekiec
Dundrum-Southside. Whats funny is our neighbours here are from corkaigh. No getting away from us. The other Aussies in the street will start selling up soon. E
Hee hee You just can't get away from us can you? Know Dundrum but not very well.

Moved to Dublin back in 86 (went to UK in 89) and lived in Phibsboro and Fairview so not too familiar with the south side of the city.

Bet it's all changed since you last saw it.

Keep in touch.

Trish
Old Sep 14th 2007, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

We're considering going - will let you know if we do and we can meet for a beer. Buy tickets at the door - 10 quid each but kids get in free.

Trish
Hi Trish
We are not using an agent as it looks straightforward enough for us (or so we think!). No problems so far anyway.
Not sure where we will head to in melbourne but have been looking at those places you recommended to me a couple of months back. We will probably rent for a while (maybe a year or two) to get a feel for the place and to give us time to check out the different areas.
We have family in sydney and they told us last week that houses prices are slowly coming down and are expected to come down a lot over the next year or two. Let's hope they are right cause we dont want them to keep rising at least untill we buy.
Whats going on over at the other forum, was down for a few days and now its all changed???? Have been so busy the last month or so havent really been on either site for a while.
How did it go telling your family of your plans?
I told my mum and dad. Mum was happy for us but dad was a bit peeved off. Havent told my sisters yet.
Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.