Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone from Ireland on here

Anyone from Ireland on here

Old Sep 11th 2007, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

scrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone from Ireland on here

Originally Posted by CynOpt
oohh you'll wish you hadnt asked that....

Originally hoped to be there this year, but visa dragged out, had agency issues ( that were FULLY resolved - but did cause delays ) and a friend who was going to provide stat decs who managed to drag it out for 6 weeks before NOT turning up with the goods. ( 70 year old MIL managed it in 2 days flat ).
So when the agent asked in the middle of July, shall we wait til sept, I said, no - go ahead, its already 3 months behind where we wanted to be, and that will only drag it out for another month, plus who knows what delays might happen with the new ones.
So I've been chuffed to bits for the last 6 weeks that my application was in, but just found out today, the onlines are all going through ahead of us now. So a bit miffed(understatement of the year).

Anyway, as for house sales, that side is all sorted, moved in with OH two years ago and kept my house, then sold it this year when we decided to emigrate, so that's all done and dusted.
Been clearing out wardrobes for last month. I know every area of Melbourne I want to live in, how much it costs, whats the best airline to go with and where to apply for jobs, i just need to GET THERE. <KABOOM>

So still to do: Meds/PCCS, oh yes, and get the old Irish passport renewed and sent off, thought there was PLENTY of time on it, but not at the rate things are going.
Sorry to say I'm one of the post Sept applications and being done online. Things are going faster but not by much. We all still have to do the same med process. Mine went in on Sept 2nd and I dont have a co. Payment is faster cause you pay when you submit your application but you still have to attached all the docs etc.

They give you 14 days to upload everything or else your not processed/refused.

I did get new passport and got our pccs done in July so I only have meds to do - when they request them.

Trish
Old Sep 11th 2007, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

scrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud of

ME TOO, I'm thinking I'll tell her when I'm in the airport.
Or that the new somerset area code is 0061. She'll never know!!

I told mine last weekend and his the weekend before and was plesantly surprised. I think their just glad to be getting rid of us.

Trish
Old Sep 11th 2007, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by scrum
Congrats on having your visas.
Thanks

Where abouts in Melbourne are you headed?
Long term no idea. Gonna drive around and get a feel for the place. Staying first 4 weeks near the mornigton pennisula.

What about kids?
One child and he is 8.

Do you have a job yet?
No. Will start applying from October. My wife is keeping her job working from home (we hope).

God I must sound really nosy to eveyone but am desperate to find out as much as possible about everything.
Not at all. Been there, done that Trish. Best of luck.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of

Or that the new somerset area code is 0061. She'll never know!!
LMFAO

Wish I'd thought of that!! Telling my mum was a nightmare!!
Old Sep 11th 2007, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mornington is beautiful. We've been over twice but it was only on the last trip that we got a proper feel for the place. Your son will love it there.

Updates gratefully received.

Trish
Old Sep 11th 2007, 6:37 pm
CynOpt

CynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry to say I'm one of the post Sept applications and being done online.
Trish
Hey no worries Trish, I had just found out ( shouldnt have been on t'internet at work anyway - my own fault ) and I was just a bit shell shocked.
Fair duece to anyone who applied post sept1 and is having a pleasant surprise. Dont let anyone else's whinging ( specially not mine - I just do it for entertainment ) make you feel anything less than chuffed to bits that you're visa is now on its way too.
NOTE: I reserve the right to whinge if it will get my Visa through faster.

I'm now at home, with a bottle of bulmers ( oh alright - magners in the UK ), and a choccy bar and feeling much much better.

Plus +++ fair play to my OH, of all days for my birthday present to arrive, today was the right day, was here waiting when I got home.
Now we won't talk about the fact that my birthday was in APRIL too much, the compound interest I applied will stop him from trying that little trick again

Ev
Old Sep 11th 2007, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hey no worries Trish, I had just found out ( shouldnt have been on t'internet at work anyway - my own fault ) and I was just a bit shell shocked.
Fair duece to anyone who applied post sept1 and is having a pleasant surprise. Dont let anyone else's whinging ( specially not mine - I just do it for entertainment ) make you feel anything less than chuffed to bits that you're visa is now on its way too.
NOTE: I reserve the right to whinge if it will get my Visa through faster.

I'm now at home, with a bottle of bulmers ( oh alright - magners in the UK ), and a choccy bar and feeling much much better.

Plus +++ fair play to my OH, of all days for my birthday present to arrive, today was the right day, was here waiting when I got home.
Now we won't talk about the fact that my birthday was in APRIL too much, the compound interest I applied will stop him from trying that little trick again

Ev
Ev you can whine all you want girl - I'd do the exact same if I were you.

We were trying to get ours in pre Sept as then we wouldn't have needed a sponsor but the luck of the Irish didn't prevail on that count.

Agent told me the exact same thing happened last time there were major changes. At the moment there are only 4 of us on here who have managed to complete the application online - 2 with agents help and 2 without so massive learning curve.

It would be brill to get it through early - we were all set for a 9 month wait but if it comes earlier I'll be shouting from the rooftops.

When are you expecting to get yours? Have you been waiting long? Good luck.

Trish
Old Sep 11th 2007, 7:00 pm
CynOpt

CynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of light

Ours went in on the 3rd of August, so only waiting 5 weeks really.
Applying for meds and pccs early Nov, so they should be all in by feb/March at a guess, hoping the visa grant wont be much later than May/June, although I dont know if I will be able to resist handing in my notice much beyond April.
I have to give 3 months notice, so I figure that should be OK, I can afford to have a couple of months off if I have to.

And hey, don't take the last IT manager job in melbourne, I just said goodbye to a guy from northampton on his way to melbourne do that too.
But I reckon I fancy going back to contracting development for a bit, my visa requires me to have 12 months work in 2 years, so contracting would fit in nicely with that, and getting to see some of the country.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 8:07 pm
CynOpt

I know this many posts in one thread doesnt really constitute a trend, but it looks like we're mostly going to Melbourne??

Is it the climate? family? other?
We loved it there - only decided to emigrate when we went there on hols to family wedding in feb, and we were blown away.

Couldn't imagine living anywhere else now.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 8:22 pm
Dublin to Sunshine Coast

goat eyes has a brilliant futuregoat eyes has a brilliant futuregoat eyes has a brilliant futuregoat eyes has a brilliant futuregoat eyes has a brilliant futuregoat eyes has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Anyone from Ireland on here

Hi there

We are family of 4 heading for Melbourne in Jan 08. Just wondering if there was anyone else on here from my neck of the woods.

Living in Laois at the moment after nearly 17 years in the UK we came back and it was the biggest mistake ever.

Hubby IT Manager, I'm at home and we have two girls 7 and 9.

Trish

Hi !

My family are from Ballyroan - just up the road ! We were in Abbeyleix with family last weekend!

I am 'London Irish' - living in Dublin (5yrs) with the Mrs (from Co Mayo)-both 33 yrs old. Mrs is a primary teacher, I am an auctioneer .....

No doubt we will have a few friends in common !!

We are hopefully off to Brisbane before Xmas.

Just waiting on the visa (hopefully!) we have sent the medicals in on the
28th August - that was all that the case officer asked for - - should be there by now........

Waiting is the killer !! Would be up for a pint & a chat one day if you like....Morrissey's is nice, or PM us and we could meet one day when you are in (South)Dublin if that suits you?

Best of luck with the visas everyone!!

Mr & Mrs Goat eyes..........
Old Sep 11th 2007, 8:39 pm
Dublin to Sunshine Coast

goat eyes has a brilliant futuregoat eyes has a brilliant futuregoat eyes has a brilliant futuregoat eyes has a brilliant futuregoat eyes has a brilliant futuregoat eyes has a brilliant future
Talking Irish Mammies on SKYPE -- who'd a thunk it? eh?!

We have skype here but when I tried to explain it to my parents it went completely over their heads. I think I'll have to set the whole thing up for them and do a demo before we go. LOL

We're expecting it to take roughly 2 years before we feel really settled but are def looking forward to the whole thing. Just have to wait for out meds and then the visa which shouldn't be too long and Aussie here we come.

Trish
Tell us about it !!
We have 'Mayo mammy' up and running on email & Skype - webcam and all - she is 70!
'London Irish Mammy' - 68yrs old and 'getting there' with it !! - she rings me everytime she sends an email to tell me what it says!

I set both of them up - they were so amazed they could talk & see us for free - it took the sting out of the news that we are going !!

PM if I can help with anything !!

Goat Eyes..........
Old Sep 11th 2007, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

I know this many posts in one thread doesnt really constitute a trend, but it looks like we're mostly going to Melbourne??

Is it the climate? family? other?
We loved it there - only decided to emigrate when we went there on hols to family wedding in feb, and we were blown away.

Couldn't imagine living anywhere else now.
Think its the best city, cooler than brissie, nicer than sydney, less remote then perth or darwin and not as dry as adelaide

Trish
Old Sep 11th 2007, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

Well begorrah an Irish thread!! Hi all

Living in Leixlip at the mo - heading over next Monday on a student visa with husband and 2 children (11 and 8, girl and boy) to Brisbane. Bricking it now as the packers are coming on Thursday and we're upside down to say the least!

Glad to hear the ones that are there are settling / settled in well!!

cheers
shears
Old Sep 11th 2007, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by shears
Well begorrah an Irish thread!! Hi all

Living in Leixlip at the mo - heading over next Monday on a student visa with husband and 2 children (11 and 8, girl and boy) to Brisbane. Bricking it now as the packers are coming on Thursday and we're upside down to say the least!

Glad to hear the ones that are there are settling / settled in well!!

cheers
shears
great news for you. When do you go?

Trish
Old Sep 11th 2007, 9:18 pm

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

We don't have a clue where is best to rent / live. We were hoping to rent for a while before we buy as we want to be sure of the area we eventually settle in.
Yes - you absolutely, definately, most positively, totally want to do that !!! We rented for the first 2 years before we bought (very glad we did). It takes at least 2 years to settle in properly here and really get to know the place, the mindset, the culture etc.

Mark is an IT Manager with BearingPoint over here but has his second interview with SMS at the end of this month (date to be decided).
One of the guys in my paragliding club is an Account Director at SMS here in Mellie if that's any help.

Whats the IT situation over there? Good, bad, middling. Have heard that it's the usual - it's easier to get a job if you already have a job and they like you to have aussie experience.
Without a doubt, Melbourne is a much bigger challenge than SYdney when it comes to IT. Think of Cork compared to Dublin for frame of reference.....
I found my previous 10 years in IT was not much help and effectively had to start again, taking a pretty low paid, poor conditions System Engineer role for the first year.
Once I got in the door at HP , all my previous experience was magically recognised again though !
Now I am at ANZ, I am probably back to the same equivalent earnings I was making when I left Ireland, so it took me 4 years to get back to that level. The first year is the struggle jobwise, but you can be lucky with your first job here and avoid that whole phase.

When we moved here, we had never been before, knew nobody here, had not lined up any jobs or prospects, had not sussed out places to live etc. We just came here with an open mind and no unrealistic expectations. I suspect it had a large part to play in how well we have become absorbed here.

Any recommendations on areas to move to initially. He expects to be working in Southbank so would want something ideally within 30 to 45 mins of there. Any advise greatfully accepted.
I absolutely love where we are in Rosanna (adjoins Heidelberg, Viewbank). It is a green belt area, surrounded by parklands and cycle tracks. We have a 30 minute train ride into the CBD.
It is an established neighborhood with lots of great schools and a great feel to the place. It is most definately home for us now.

When you find yourself no longer saying to people..."At home in Ireland...", then you know you have really settled and become Australian ;-)

Good luck with the move.

Regards

Barney

Last edited by @boy; Sep 11th 2007 at 9:57 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.