Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone in Hunter Valley / Newcastle area ?? (NSW)

Anyone in Hunter Valley / Newcastle area ?? (NSW)

Old Dec 7th 2006, 3:14 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Anyone in Hunter Valley / Newcastle area ?? (NSW)

Hi everyone,

We are now the proud owners of a permanent visa. We're hoping to go to the Hunter Valley area, most likely Singleton, early in 2007.

My husband is a mining engineer and is hoping to get a job in one of the mines there. If anyone has any information on what the town or job situation is like I would love to hear it.

We have a 4 month old and almost 3 year old and I would most likely be staying at home for at least another year or two, so I'd love to meet up with some families with kids.

Haley
Old Dec 7th 2006, 9:19 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone in Hunter Valley / Newcastle area ?? (NSW)

bump
Old Dec 7th 2006, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
Hi everyone,

We are now the proud owners of a permanent visa. We're hoping to go to the Hunter Valley area, most likely Singleton, early in 2007.

My husband is a mining engineer and is hoping to get a job in one of the mines there. If anyone has any information on what the town or job situation is like I would love to hear it.

We have a 4 month old and almost 3 year old and I would most likely be staying at home for at least another year or two, so I'd love to meet up with some families with kids.

Haley
Hi Haley

Congrats on the visa and good look with the move!!

I am in Cessnock, Hunter Valley. I arrived here in September 2006. I would be delighted to meet up with you - I have met 2 other lovely ladies on this site, Sleeping Beauty and Macquarie who I could also introduce you to - believe me it is so nice to meet people who understand how you are feeling and what you are going through when you first arrive.

I have 3 children myself, 12, 8 and 6 - at the moment I am also at home. With regards to your questions regarding Jobs and Singleton, I cannot help right now - but my husband works in Singleton a couple of times a week so I can ask him for any info you might need. Jobs - I have put a link here, I know the mines pay excellent wages, but I believe it can be tricky getting in - but once you are in, no problem!!! Jobs would be likely to be advertised in the Newcastle Herald, but also do a search as websites may have info on employment.

I know there is one mine in Cessnock, but not sure of surrounding areas.

http://www.jobsguide.com.au

Feel free to ask any questions, would be happy to help where I can.

Nikki
Old Dec 8th 2006, 1:00 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Nikki (and iPom for the bump),

It's nice to know we would at least be able to meet a couple of families once we arrive. Once we have the job situation sorted out I may have a few more questions.

We expect to be living in Singleton as most of the mines are between Singleton and Musswellbrook (sp??). There are also mines on the West side of Lake Macquarie, but they are all underground which my husband has no experience with. So I'm quite certain we'll end up in Singleton.

Anyway, thanks for letting me know you are out there. Hopefully I will have some more definitive plans soon.

Haley