Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Car crash advice

Car crash advice

Old Dec 8th 2006, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

wren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to all
Default Car crash advice

Am hoping there is somebody out there who can answer a few Q's...

A friend of mine was involved in a major crash yesterday, both cars involved are complete right-off's. Thankfully neither parties were seriously hurt.

She was in a state of shock and can only vaguely remember talking to the police. She may have been cautioned with not coming to a complete halt at a stop sign.

It gets worse in that she doesn't have insurance Nor did the other driver.

Does anyone know what she should do now? What are the implications of being charged? Could there be something else she may have been charged with? Is this likely to result in a fine, demerits, loss of licence or worse???? Will the police contact her?

With regards the other parties car, is she liable to replace it?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Last edited by wren; Dec 8th 2006 at 1:25 am.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 1:07 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Car crash advice

Without insurance I'm sure she could have been liable for all medical expences as well if it were her fault.

I really can't understand why people drive with no insurance.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 1:08 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by wren
Am hoping there is somebody out there who can answer a few Q's...

A friend of mine was involved in a major crash yesterday, both cars involved are complete right-off's. Thankfully neither parties were seriously hurt.

She was in a state of shock and can only vaguely remember talking to the police. She may have been cautioned with not coming to a complete halt at a stop sign.

It gets worse in that she doesn't have insurance Nor did the other driver.

Does anyone know what she should do now? What are the implications of being charged? Could there be someting else she may have been charged with? Is this likely to result in a fine, demerits, loss of licence or worse???? Will the police contact her?

With regards the other parties car, is she liable to replace it?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks
can't advise you on your rights but these people might...
this is specific for NSW, you'll need to find the relevant one for other states
Legal Aid NSW 1300 888 529 - free legal advice
www.legalaid.nsw.gov.au

make sure your friend has reported all the details to the police and received an inident number, the Police Assistance Line can help with this 131 444
also your friend needs to make suere they have all the details of the other driver, and collect evidence to suport their account of the accident.. draw it down on paper, write down everything.. location, direction of travel, time, weather, any little details

oh and another thing, get her to go to the docs and get checked out just in case, tell them what happened
Old Dec 8th 2006, 1:15 am
BE Enthusiast

wren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to all

Thanks. have to agree about the insurance too- it's so cheap here in comparison to the UK that I would never drive without it.... especially on the roads in WA :scared:

Feel really sad about it all coz I think my friend will throw the towel in and go back to the UK. She's had a run of bad luck and this is the icing on the cake. She's a very decent person and will sort this all out before she goes.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 1:16 am

Thanks. have to agree about the insurance too- it's so cheap here in comparison to the UK that I would never drive without it.... especially on the roads in WA :scared:

Feel really sad about it all coz I think my friend will throw the towel in and go back to the UK. She's had a run of bad luck and this is the icing on the cake. She's a very decent person and will sort this all out before she goes.
well for whatever reason, she will learn the lesson the hard way
hope it works out ok for her in the end
Old Dec 8th 2006, 1:26 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Well it would be a shame if she goes back because of some stuff that has happened, especially if it were stuff that could have happened in the UK. Driving without insurance has to rank pretty high in the list of bloody stupid things to do. I don't care how much the insurance is, if you can't afford it, you don't drive, simple

anyway hope your mate is ok and can sort it all out.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 1:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Well it would be a shame if she goes back because of some stuff that has happened, especially if it were stuff that could have happened in the UK. Driving without insurance has to rank pretty high in the list of bloody stupid things to do. I don't care how much the insurance is, if you can't afford it, you don't drive, simple

anyway hope your mate is ok and can sort it all out.
Maybe the insurance is better in the UK.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 1:48 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I had a smash last Friday and my bike was written off Other person insurance is taking care of it though.

Must be the season for it !
Old Dec 8th 2006, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Well it would be a shame if she goes back because of some stuff that has happened, especially if it were stuff that could have happened in the UK.

I agree, but I suppose when things like a major car crash happen, and you are shaken up badly, it makes you realise how far away from loved ones you are.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 1:54 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

She would have CTP, that's included in the registration fee (in QLD anyway).

Originally Posted by Bordy
Without insurance I'm sure she could have been liable for all medical expences as well if it were her fault.

I really can't understand why people drive with no insurance.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 1:54 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, but I suppose when things like a major car crash happen, and you are shaken up badly, it makes you realise how far away from loved ones you are.
Agreed, especially if you are already down. Unfortunately it might end up being the wrong reason to go back though. I don't know the girl obviously. Hope she makes the right decision.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 2:01 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by themerlin
She would have CTP, that's included in the registration fee (in QLD anyway).
True.

Maybe thats why a lot don't insure. Because they have that cover.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Excuse my ignorance, but what is CPT?
Old Dec 8th 2006, 2:19 am

Excuse my ignorance, but what is CPT?
CTP compulsory third party insurance
Old Dec 8th 2006, 2:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gedge
CTP compulsory third party insurance
Would that mean she has some level of insurance?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.