Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone had any quotes for a 20 foot container?

Anyone had any quotes for a 20 foot container?

Old Aug 29th 2008, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

geelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone had any quotes for a 20 foot container?

Thanks GeelongGent, and all the others, for your advice.

I think this could be a useful thread to keep going for reference to others.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

seansuperhoop is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by geelong
Just wondered if anyone had had any quotes for shipping a 20 foot container from the UK to Melbourne?
I have had PSS, John Masons, Bishops Move and Doree Bonner around to quote: Sutton to Melbourne. Went with PSS £3500 to fill a 20 foot reefer- around 900 cubic feet. Not moving till the 23rd so can't comment on their service yet... John Masons and Bishops Move were competitive- but DB's quote was way over the other 3- perhaps they didn't want the business or maybe they are as good as they think they are? As lots of others have suggested I rang Letton Perceival and the consultant I spoke to was excellent and took a lot of time to explain their insurance and what it didn't cover- definately going with them as well.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

geelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud of

Thanks, we have Doree Bonner coming tomorrow to give us a quote. I'll have to look up PSS.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

iainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura about

We are finally going to go with white and co who originally quoted £3,700 but i asked if they would match my lowest quote of £3,600 and they went for it. So definately ask if they will price match, some wouldn't but its worth a try! thank god that is sorted what a mine field all this shipping stuff is!!
Old Sep 8th 2008, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iainandsam
We are finally going to go with white and co who originally quoted £3,700 but i asked if they would match my lowest quote of £3,600 and they went for it. So definately ask if they will price match, some wouldn't but its worth a try! thank god that is sorted what a mine field all this shipping stuff is!!
For my little addition, having moved to Australia in 2000, moved back to the UK and 2202 and now looking at moving back to Aus early 2009, I have done both the shared container route going out, and the sole container route coming back.

From my experience, the shared route will save you money since you are not buying the whole thing, BUT you will have to wait for the container to be filled before it is released. This is pot luck - for example, if you happen to be the first of a new container to be filled, it will (most of the time) not be sent until it has been nearly filled by other customers. If this happens to be 3-4 weeks time, then that's additional time when your shipment is not going anywhere. I was fairly lucky - Essex to Melbourne took , door to door, about 15 weeks.

Coming back, with Australian Mrs in tow this time, we had a sole container and that took 12 weeks door to door, Melbourne to Surrey.

Now looking at doing it all over again. Am I a muppet?

Andy
Old Sep 8th 2008, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Dan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to all

Originally Posted by andyphilpott
For my little addition, having moved to Australia in 2000, moved back to the UK and 2202 and now looking at moving back to Aus early 2009, I have done both the shared container route going out, and the sole container route coming back.

From my experience, the shared route will save you money since you are not buying the whole thing, BUT you will have to wait for the container to be filled before it is released. This is pot luck - for example, if you happen to be the first of a new container to be filled, it will (most of the time) not be sent until it has been nearly filled by other customers. If this happens to be 3-4 weeks time, then that's additional time when your shipment is not going anywhere. I was fairly lucky - Essex to Melbourne took , door to door, about 15 weeks.

Coming back, with Australian Mrs in tow this time, we had a sole container and that took 12 weeks door to door, Melbourne to Surrey.

Now looking at doing it all over again. Am I a muppet?

Andy
No mat we are off early Dec for the 3rd time!!!! Just had on quote in for £3800.00 exc insurance - that is for sole use of container only 3/4 full!!!!!
For what its worth we have packed stuff ourselves each and every time and maybe due to luck never had a problem with customs. The last sales rep said they will definately check things like golf clubs, tools etc all stuff that could get dirty / contaminted - yet each time ours has never been touched!! (I know from the amount of bubble wrap I used for each club!!!)
As it is we have already packed approx half the house but both reps have said stop we will continue the packing.
Not sure anyone got any thoughts? I'm happy to pack everything up and load a container if it will save me a grand or so.....
Someone mentioned Lunar shipping a bit earlier - I tried to get a phone number but couldn't. Anyone know?
dtp
Old Sep 8th 2008, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

BATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to all

We have had 3 quotes for between £3,360 and £3,815 to Perth. Waiting for 2 more & expect Crown to be over £4,000.
Unlikely to do it ourselves as access for a container is a problem. Stuff will have to be sent to a depot to load into container.
Have also heard self packing can attract more attention from Customs and AQIS, but that might just be a rumour and depend on how busy the importing port is. Might also not get as generous an insurance quote if doing it independently. (1.6% if u insure separately from the removals company - Letton Percival).
Shipping a car quoted £1,750 for sole use 20ft container or an extra £1,400 to include with personal effects in sole use 40fter. Doesn't include all the costs at port of arrival (AQIS, Customs clearance, port fees, vehicle valuer etc etc) or the duty & GST (prob an extra £10,000 in my case!).
Old Sep 8th 2008, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Reading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dan the Plumber
No mat we are off early Dec for the 3rd time!!!! Just had on quote in for £3800.00 exc insurance - that is for sole use of container only 3/4 full!!!!!
For what its worth we have packed stuff ourselves each and every time and maybe due to luck never had a problem with customs. The last sales rep said they will definately check things like golf clubs, tools etc all stuff that could get dirty / contaminted - yet each time ours has never been touched!! (I know from the amount of bubble wrap I used for each club!!!)
As it is we have already packed approx half the house but both reps have said stop we will continue the packing.
Not sure anyone got any thoughts? I'm happy to pack everything up and load a container if it will save me a grand or so.....
Someone mentioned Lunar shipping a bit earlier - I tried to get a phone number but couldn't. Anyone know?
dtp
The whole self packing thing is a complete pain in the neck. We moved ourselves to Aus and back again absolutely no problem - both times we used a 20ft container. However, due to access probs we will have to use removals - had 3 quotes all about £3500.00 but all have said we have far too much stuff for a 20ft container. We are of the firm conclusion that the packers are not as efficient packers as we are - eg £2.00 plastic toy boxes - they want to wrap each box individually with packaging (apart from enviromentally wasteful all that packaging = lost space.
On both occasions the container was dropped on the drive for a week - we packed and then they came a collected. We had no breakages and probs with customs/quarantine.
We are packing stuff ourselves into boxes - I think you end up taking stuff you might have weeded out because the removals just pack everything.
Sorry can't help with Lunar I tried to find them as well.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Reading fan
The whole self packing thing is a complete pain in the neck. We moved ourselves to Aus and back again absolutely no problem - both times we used a 20ft container. However, due to access probs we will have to use removals - had 3 quotes all about £3500.00 but all have said we have far too much stuff for a 20ft container. We are of the firm conclusion that the packers are not as efficient packers as we are - eg £2.00 plastic toy boxes - they want to wrap each box individually with packaging (apart from enviromentally wasteful all that packaging = lost space.
On both occasions the container was dropped on the drive for a week - we packed and then they came a collected. We had no breakages and probs with customs/quarantine.
We are packing stuff ourselves into boxes - I think you end up taking stuff you might have weeded out because the removals just pack everything.
Sorry can't help with Lunar I tried to find them as well.
Yes I agree! Luckily we don't have access probs here - could you tell me what company you used last time from UK and what was the cost to do it yourself?
This is the first time we will use a container - each time we have sold everything off and just had boxes...
Thanks!
Old Sep 8th 2008, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Reading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to all

Yes I agree! Luckily we don't have access probs here - could you tell me what company you used last time from UK and what was the cost to do it yourself?
This is the first time we will use a container - each time we have sold everything off and just had boxes...
Thanks!
At work - I will try and get the paperwork out and let you know.I remember we saved about £1000.00. For us the first time it was saving the money, the second time preferred to do it ourselves - if you have the time to load efficiently it seemed a doddle. I think I will have to go out when the packers are here - I will p*ss them off too much thinking I could do it better ,loitering around
Old Sep 8th 2008, 4:08 pm
finally in melbourne

di90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura about

I have only had 1 quote so far from allied pickfords and it was for £2600 for everything, for a 430 cubic feet container. They said that it was about £100 cheaper to pack ourselves - was he right or was he telling me porkies?
Old Sep 8th 2008, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of

Must just mention we have taken out shipping ins. with Letton Percival. Its right, 1 and a half % instead of 3%. Really helpful people as well, no pressure or pushing and pointed out things I hadn't thought of. Thought it was worth mentioning.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

Chris N Lora will become famous soon enoughChris N Lora will become famous soon enough

dtp
Hi I have the number for Luna Shipping,

Tel: 0800 026 7028
site is www.lunashipping.co.uk

They quoted me a full 20 foot container £1600 door 2 door minus insurance .... also self load and a 3 hour window to do so.

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chris N Lora

They quoted me a full 20 foot container £1600 door 2 door minus insurance .... also self load and a 3 hour window to do so.

Hope this helps.
Brilliant thanks
Old Sep 9th 2008, 11:31 am
finally in melbourne

di90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Chris N Lora

Hope this helps.
Thankyou for that, have given them a call - he was very friendly on the phone and said he will call me back today with a quote.
I wonder how they can be so cheap to offer a quote of £1600 for a full container? I hope my quote is that cheap. Does that include any boxes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.