Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone had any quotes for a 20 foot container?

Anyone had any quotes for a 20 foot container?

Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

BATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to all
Default Re: Anyone had any quotes for a 20 foot container?

Originally Posted by shellynelly
hi ya we have just paid 3800.00 for a full 20ft container including insurance, we had several quotes but decided to go with john mason, they wernt the cheapest but not the dearest either, they have been brill so far just hope it all arrives in perth ok, it left our house yesterday and due to arrive in fremantle 31st oct,
we have been quoted £3,800 Bristol-Perth, but this EXCLUDES insurance @ 3%. Are you sure yours includes it? Will have to get back to them if you have a cheaper quote !! :curse:
Old Aug 29th 2008, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

BATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by steveandlesley
Its if Australia choose to check your container. I haven't looked to it in depth but if customs want to inspect your container you have to pay something like $400, Crown just choose to include this in the price!! So I guess that if customs don't want to check the container then Crown make more profit!!
Your container WILL be checked by AQIS. This is not a customs check, AQIS is the quarantine service and they are looking for untreated wood, fur, feathers, seeds etc etc. There is little to no chance of you avoiding this unless they are certain that your 20 fter doesn't contain this stuff. It will mean a full unpack of the 20fter, hence the charge. You will also be charged for disposal of any unacceptable stuff. So don't stick it in if you're not sure, on the basis that if they won't let it in, "we will just bin it". If your container was professionally packed in the UK they are much more likely to accept box contents as stated by the removal company. If you did it yourself, they are likely to go thru the lot, just to make sure. This will add to your DIY costs.

I'm currently checking on taking feather duvets and pillows. As stated above, John Mason say that you can't, but UNLESS it is goose down. Goose down is apparently larger than duck feather and down and so very unlikely to leak from the cotton cover. Any signs of leakage and they won't let it in. Bonner, on the other hand, say that all UK duvets and pillows are heat treated in manufacture, so are not a risk. If in doubt, I would suggest that you contact AQIS by email (I intend to on this, and one other, issue) and ask them and keep a printed copy of the reply.
Mason's gave me some outrageously inaccurate info re shipping a car. If I had followed their advice, (as someone is currently doing) it could have cost me an extra £40,000 in duty and GST.

AQIS and Customs will take 7-14 days to reply to email enquiries.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Burkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura about

We have had a quote of £1600 for a 20ft container but we have to load ourselves and sort insurance out which is approx 3% of value of container and pay to get it out at the other end we have been quoted approx $400 dollars.

A question for anyone who has done this already did you label boxes individually or just provide one big list?

Dolphin Freight in Sheffield.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Burkins
We have had a quote of £1600 for a 20ft container but we have to load ourselves and sort insurance out which is approx 3% of value of container and pay to get it out at the other end we have been quoted approx $400 dollars.

A question for anyone who has done this already did you label boxes individually or just provide one big list?

Dolphin Freight in Sheffield.
You have to do both. Each box has to be individually labelled with box no. & contents and then a full customs declaration listing all boxes.
you should be able to get insurance for less than 3% but that may be if the container is professionally packed. 1.6% is about right. Try Basil Fry or Letton Percival (LP = cheaper).
Old Aug 29th 2008, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Burkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura about

Thanks I will give them a call for a quote.

Forgive me if a silly question but on the itemised list do I have to say 4 x short sleeved t-shirts or 1 short sleeved t-shirt from Debenhams, 1 x short sleeved T-shirt from Next etc.

Thanks
Old Aug 29th 2008, 7:22 pm
finally in melbourne

di90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by steveandlesley
despite waiting for a decision on the visa
we have had the international removers round to give us some quotes and this is what we have. The service is from Stoke on Trent to Robina (Queensland) door to door, all wrapping+unwrapping etc Doesn't include marine insurance. It is for sole use of a 20ft container.

Crown £3800 including aqis fees
Dorree Bonner £3800 not including aqis fees
Anglo Pacific £4200 not including aqis fees
Eardleys of Crewe £3200 with no aqis fees

As we are still waiting for a visa I haven't booked any of them yet and also haven't negiotated a better price.

Our gut instinct though is to go with Eardleys as they are a smaller company who seem to care, and the guy Keith is really approachable and sounds really 'normal', but hey we still have no visa........ so......

Hope this helps

Lesley xx
I had a quote today for 430 cubic square from allied pickford and they charged £2600 for everything including aqis. Thats less than half a container and only just over £1000 less than a full container - how come??
Old Aug 29th 2008, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

When we received our quotes for shipping it looked like it is better to take 20 - 30 boxes and no large items or get a 20ft crate and pack it full of as much stuff as you can find as the price difference wasn't worth it.

We have decided to take everything in a crate and use for rented and then as and when we buy a house we will sort out what we actually want - after shipping it across the world!
Old Aug 29th 2008, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Burkins
Thanks I will give them a call for a quote.

Forgive me if a silly question but on the itemised list do I have to say 4 x short sleeved t-shirts or 1 short sleeved t-shirt from Debenhams, 1 x short sleeved T-shirt from Next etc.

Thanks
I understand from speaking to various removals companies that all you need to put on each individual box is roughly what is inside, e.g. Box 1 - clothes, box 2 - books, box 3- magazines, crockery, cutlery etc etc. Same for the customs declaration (itemised list). AQIS will use this to pinpoint any suspect boxes e.g. "tools" could mean "garden tools" which is bound to attract their attention.

On a separate note. I checked the response I got from AQIS to specific question about quarantine procedures and all I got was an emailed link to their website. NOT very helpful and they didn't answer any questions.
Like I didn't think of looking at the website first !! Derr.....
Old Aug 29th 2008, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to all

We've just had a quote from PSS Eastbourne to Brisbane £3500 for 20ft container including packing and unpacking, insurance is 2.8% of value on top. Thought this was very reasonable.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beccie
We've just had a quote from PSS Eastbourne to Brisbane £3500 for 20ft container including packing and unpacking, insurance is 2.8% of value on top. Thought this was very reasonable.
I think that's about right. We are getting £3,400 - 3,600 Bristol to Perth, tho Crown quoted, off the cuff, £4,300.
I would look at doing insurance separately tho. Should get it down to 1.6%.
Try Letton Percival.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by di90
I had a quote today for 430 cubic square from allied pickford and they charged £2600 for everything including aqis. Thats less than half a container and only just over £1000 less than a full container - how come??
If you don't have a container to youself it's called groupage and you are sharing it with other people. That adds to the cost per person as there's more paperwork, bureaucracy, man power etc. You can't simply divide the cost of a whole container by the amount you will be using.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, this might help: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=493637

Also, I have just had an email from a friend saying that if you are a Westpac customer you can get a good deal from Anglo Pacific where they are offering £1000 of insurance for free.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

iainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura about

I have had the following quotes for a 20ft container, going from Beds to phillip Is near melbourne so would be the 100 mile distance, door to door. Includes packing, unpacking etc no ins
PSS £3,948 no negotiation have asked!
Simpsons £4,000
Fletcher & Newhouse £3,650 Best so far
Crown £4,723!!!!!!!!
John Masons £3,898
Still waiting White & Co and a company called ATO shipping
Good luck
Old Aug 29th 2008, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to allBeccie is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BATS666
I think that's about right. We are getting £3,400 - 3,600 Bristol to Perth, tho Crown quoted, off the cuff, £4,300.
I would look at doing insurance separately tho. Should get it down to 1.6%.
Try Letton Percival.
Thanks for the info will into that
Old Aug 29th 2008, 9:48 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geelong
Our first quote as mentioned above was door to door (within 100 miles of Melbourne), including all packing and unpacking.
For what its worth now these were our main points on shipping:

Invest more in getting a decent packing team UK side

Watch out for insurance cost - this takes time to think about. ie Do we incur the cost of insurance or risk the loss? the cost can add up - we incurred £1500. So in comparison to people worrying about £3800 to £4200 ???

The guy coming out to quote is not the person packing. Think about it. (salesmen lie when they open their mouths).

Make sure they deal with Kents on the Melbourne side (makes life so much easier when you arrive)

Do not go down share container route if possible - its more expensive, takes far more time.

Ensure the carrier is going the fast route and not using a shipping company that transits through the panama canal- difference in time can equate to months not weeks in difference.

The actual time on the ship is only about 5 weeks but where they cannot be exact is not due to weather or tides etc. It is because of time slots at places like Singapore. You should however be safe with an estimate of 6 to 8 weeks. Stuff in Melbourne clears quite quickly - and they let you know with about a weeks notice - the cost of storage this side is cheap so dont stress if you have not found a place to move into, when you stuff has cleared customs.

Last edited by Geelong Gent; Aug 29th 2008 at 9:51 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.