Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone got over homesickness?

Anyone got over homesickness?

Old Aug 9th 2007, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone got over homesickness?

Originally Posted by liverpool girl
We moved out to Sydney in June 06 and love it out here - the weather, beaches, food etc. However, these last few months I have felt quite homesick. I find myself missing silly things like UK super markets and NEXT and not so silly things like the english countryside. I also really miss my sister and her little boy as we saw them very often when we lived in the UK. I find myself feeling quite stressed and tight in the chest and sometimes I just go to bed to feel better and forget about it all. The strange thing is that life here is very good and I do love Sydney and on the face of it, we would be better off staying here but emotionally I am struggling to leave the UK behind. I am expecting another baby in Jan and therefore I think that has been partly responsible for the way I am feeling - it is not going to be go easy to get back to the UK on a financial as well as a practical level.
We have sold our house in the UK which in some ways is not a problem since we would not have gone back to live in the same area anyway. However, it does mean that we need to get back onthe property ladder somewhere, whether it be in Sydney or the SE of England so I feel that we need to come to some sort of decision.
Anyway, sorry for the rambling - I just had to get it off my chest. Would love to hear from people in the same situation or those that have overcome the whole homesickness thing.
I can't speak from homesickness point of view just yet but I can tell you I have 2 little ones and those pregnancy hormones do funny tricks as well. My best advice to any pregnant women would be to try not to make any big decisions whilst pregnant and also for some whilst breast feeding. I first came to Oz when I was pregnant with my 2nd and hated it. We are now living her and I feel more positive about it. I had a feeling that it was the hormones playing funny tricks back then. This may not be the case and everyone is different but for me I definately won't be makings any decisions during these hormonal times. Good luck. Hope it passes soon.

By the way I only seemed to work all this out once I was through the otherside and had finished breast feeding. The problem was I was pregnant or breasting feeding on the bounce for nearly 3 years!!! I see a lot of my friends behave quite differently as well so I think we don't give ourselves enough credit for how hard it all can be.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 5:18 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by terriefarrell
Not over in Oz yet but i have heard a lot of people who were homesick hankering for the UK but as soon as they went over for a holiday they realised that the grass isn't always greener so to speak.
Exact opposite for me, both times I've been to England I've come back to Aus thinking "what if we moved back?" and being homesick for a few weeks. I snap out of it in the end though.

It would be really depressing to not be able to go back for a visit every year or so.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 5:23 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
I can't speak from homesickness point of view just yet but I can tell you I have 2 little ones and those pregnancy hormones do funny tricks as well. My best advice to any pregnant women would be to try not to make any big decisions whilst pregnant and also for some whilst breast feeding. I first came to Oz when I was pregnant with my 2nd and hated it. We are now living her and I feel more positive about it. I had a feeling that it was the hormones playing funny tricks back then. This may not be the case and everyone is different but for me I definately won't be makings any decisions during these hormonal times. Good luck. Hope it passes soon.

By the way I only seemed to work all this out once I was through the otherside and had finished breast feeding. The problem was I was pregnant or breasting feeding on the bounce for nearly 3 years!!! I see a lot of my friends behave quite differently as well so I think we don't give ourselves enough credit for how hard it all can be.
Im 38 weeks pregnant and ive been feeling really postive i hope this carries on after to ive tried not to dwell on things so much and look on the bright side i miss the support of my family and i think it will be hard when i have my baby and there is no family coming too see me in hostipal but i know they will be thinking of me and i have to stay postive.

Last edited by kez81; Aug 9th 2007 at 5:26 am.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 5:25 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by renth
Exact opposite for me, both times I've been to England I've come back to Aus thinking "what if we moved back?" and being homesick for a few weeks. I snap out of it in the end though.

It would be really depressing to not be able to go back for a visit every year or so.
I get that feeling when family/ friends come over then go back i feel sad for about 2 weeks after they leave really down in the dumps but then you pick yourself up again.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

we have been here 7 years and I was homesick for first 2 years, OK after that until I was pregnant with our first child last year- I kept yearning for family around me- esp for the support when our baby appeared.

However, we booked a trip back to UK for June-hubby had a 3 week hol with us, and me and bub stayed until last week.
It was lovely to see everyone and the occasional ability to pop out and leave bub in bed was great, BUT everyone else's life has moved on (along with ours) . People made a big effort for us, as we were visiting, otherwise we would still be relying on our own resources 90pct of the time, if we lived there permentantly.

So I suppose in a nutshell, I am glad I went back for so long, but everyone is doing there own thing, without us there.

When you have your baby here, the local Child and Maternal Health Nurse will put you in touch with a mother's group- these are life savers. All of my group are Aussies with family around (bar me) but they also find the group to be a sanity saver.

Good luck!
Old Aug 9th 2007, 10:38 am
Account Closed

p l d k is an unknown quantity at this point

We moved out to Sydney in June 06 and love it out here - the weather, beaches, food etc. However, these last few months I have felt quite homesick. I find myself missing silly things like UK super markets and NEXT and not so silly things like the english countryside. I also really miss my sister and her little boy as we saw them very often when we lived in the UK. I find myself feeling quite stressed and tight in the chest and sometimes I just go to bed to feel better and forget about it all. The strange thing is that life here is very good and I do love Sydney and on the face of it, we would be better off staying here but emotionally I am struggling to leave the UK behind. I am expecting another baby in Jan and therefore I think that has been partly responsible for the way I am feeling - it is not going to be go easy to get back to the UK on a financial as well as a practical level.
We have sold our house in the UK which in some ways is not a problem since we would not have gone back to live in the same area anyway. However, it does mean that we need to get back onthe property ladder somewhere, whether it be in Sydney or the SE of England so I feel that we need to come to some sort of decision.
Anyway, sorry for the rambling - I just had to get it off my chest. Would love to hear from people in the same situation or those that have overcome the whole homesickness thing.
Lots of people, try the moving back to the UK forum.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

charb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant future

For me, when I was in the UK (there for 9 years, parents, sis & bil here) I was homesick for here (grew up out here, dual citizenship, lived all my adult life so far in England.), now I'm back here, I am finding myself homesick for England - To be honest, in both cases for me it was the sense of feeling & thought that I was/am missing out on something, but truth is, I'm not/wasn't. As Pomster said, your life moves on, as does everyone elses. I don't think that feeling ever goes away, but as with anything it just takes time to adjust.

Oh & btw, I am missing Next also (the sales esp!!)
Old Aug 10th 2007, 8:27 am
Just Joined

adeleakid is an unknown quantity at this point

I too feel homesick all the time. Yes for the shit hole that peolpe keep calling it. It pisses me off when peolpe say that. I think they just get on the band waggon with everyone else. I come from cheshire and find it a great place. Just been back for holiday to help us make our mind up. Yes we will be going home soon. I think Aus a beautiful place and the people great too, but i know now that the ausssie culture does not suit us. I think as i am getting older the sun and beach does not grab me like it used to do. It does not matter where you live as long as you are happy. After 7 yrs now that is what i have realized. They say the same shit in a different place. Houses prices etc you cant escape. To me health, family and friends is what is important.

Last edited by adeleakid; Aug 10th 2007 at 8:29 am.
Old Aug 11th 2007, 10:57 am
Banned

Dom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud of

If it's Liverpool you're missing darlin, I'd see a shrink before booking your flights.
Old Aug 11th 2007, 11:22 am
Just Joined

Rich_Lyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
For what it is worth, we have been here for 18 months. We went back to the UK for a holiday in June and came back in July. We were more homesick for a month after coming back than we were when we got here! I agree with a lot of others comments but ultimately, we believe it too be a better / safer place to live / kids to grow up, albeit more expensive than what we left in the UK - thats probably cos we are in Syd North Shore. It takes time to adjust and the feeling of being so far away does not help. It is not like you can get on the plane for 2 hours to get back to UK as you could if you were in Spain. For us we have commited to stay, at least in the short term, by buying a place to knock down and build, and i am going to look at buying a small boat next week so i can live the lifestyle, rather than feeling homesick. The main thing we miss is the social culture, but again that may be due to where we are renting. So live for today, and worry about tomorrow when it comes.