Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone got this months Australian News?

Anyone got this months Australian News?

Old Sep 29th 2005, 10:24 am
HAM
Forum Regular

Location: on the opposite side of the world to where I want to be...
HAM has a spectacular aura aboutHAM has a spectacular aura aboutHAM has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Anyone got this months Australian News?

Hi Bridie

I'm fairly new to this site, but just wanted to say I've just read your article which my nice postman delivered this morning It's great and so nice to put a face to someones name Good Luck...
Old Sep 29th 2005, 3:52 pm
Shaz

Shazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by HAM
Hi Bridie

I'm fairly new to this site, but just wanted to say I've just read your article which my nice postman delivered this morning It's great and so nice to put a face to someones name Good Luck...
But I haven't seen it
Old Sep 29th 2005, 4:51 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Here as promised is the article. I had probs scanning a legible properly sized sample even with the help of the computer help desk, so here is the article laboriously typed out by me! Apologies for any typos. If anyone complains about it being here, I will remove it without hesitation. I can't say fairer than that.

If only it was as easy as on TV!

Watching all those relocations programmes on television, you'd think emigrating was so easy, writes Bridie Jenner.

You wake up one morning, turn to your husband and say, "I've got an idea, let's move to Australia". You sort the visa, book your flights, wave goodbye to friends and family and within three weeks of making the decision you've arrived at an airport Down Under.

Sadly, the process isn't quite as straightforward (or quick) as this.

As we, my husband Malc and I, have no close family in Australia the only option we really had open to us was to get a skilled visa.

My Mum spotted an article in The Times last Summer about South Australia offering a visa which meant that you didn't need as many points to qualify - ideal for us as we fell short of the 120 points needed for a Skilled-Independent visa but had more than enough for the 70-point State/Territory Nominated Independent (STNI) visa.

So, after lots of thinking, talking, a little bit more thinking, a couple of changes of mind here and there (we couldn't really do this, could we?) and some more talking, Malc and I decided to go for it.

On the 6th August 2004 we sent off our Trades Recognition Australia (TRA) application, full of excitement about the prospect of moving to Adelaide in Spring 2005.

Sixteen long, torturous weeks followed during which I scoured the Internet and TV schedules for any tiny thing that might be Australia-related.

Then, finally, one cold November morning we got the news we had dreaded most: failed.

This ws made even more gutting due to the fact that we'd used the services of a reputedly good agent to help us dor the i's and cross the t's.

Luckily a friend who I 'met' through a chat forum put me in touch with a fantastic agent who basically said "No worries, it'll be touch and go but we'll get you to Oz somehow!"

He looked at what we'd sent off for our first TRA assessment, and pointed out where we'd gone wrong, before advising us to add a lot more detail to our application.

It took several weeks to do, mainly as we were both so utterly fed up of the whole process, and the thought of giving up was never far from out minds.

By the time our second application was submitted at the end of January 2005 there was nothing more we could add. It was just a case of sit, wait and cross our fingers.

We were expecting another long wait, so were gobsmacked when an email arrived from our agent advising us that not only had we passed out TRA (in less than six weeks this time) but Malc's occupation had been added to the Migration Occupation in Demand List (MODL) meaning that we could apply for a 136 Skilled Independent visa, rather than the STNI visa sponsored by South Australia.

Fantastic, since I'd fallen in love with the idea of moving to Western Australia, plus with the 136 it meant that if things didn't work out in one state we could move wherever we liked.

On the 6th April 2005 our visa application was submitted to the Department of Immigration and Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs (DIMIA). This was followed by, you've guesses it, yet more waiting.

The initial excitement of passing the TRA and moving onto the next step soon turned into frustration as weeks turned into months. Most of our spare time was spent getting the house decorated and tidied up so it was ready to go on the market, plus Malc was studying for an electrician's qualification at night classes with lots of homework. All in all it was a very stressful time.

We expected to get our medicals requested around the 12 week mark, so booked them, had them sent off - we had still heard no word from DIMIA.

We put the house on the market at the end of July and accepted a full asking price offer four days later. I had visions of us being homeless and having no visa!

Finally, 17 weeks after sending our application, we had an email, from our agent - medicals requested, along with a 'change of circumstances' form which was duly filled in and sent back via DHL.

Our agent checked with our Case Officer who confirmed that our medicals were in fact received and cleared, so he was just awaiting this final form.

A nail-biting two weeks ensued until we got the email we'd been waiting 13 months to receive - visa granted!

It was like a physical weight had been taken off our shoulders. We exchanged contracts on the house in September and, all being well, will fly into Perth later this month, ready to start our new life in the sun...
Old Sep 29th 2005, 6:39 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

tony38, thanks so much for putting all that effort into typing Bridie's story. I have to confess that I got the paper today, but I am sure that loads of other people will be grateful that you took the time to copy it all out.

Bridie, it was soooo nice to see your face I kept thinking, there's my friend Bridie
Old Sep 29th 2005, 7:20 pm
nursey

mandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of light

It was a great article Bridie, didn't realise you'd written it yourself, Professional Princess has got some competition

Mandi
Old Sep 29th 2005, 7:25 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Tony, Anne & Mandi
Old Sep 29th 2005, 7:32 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

He just summed up over 6000 posts in one post
Good reading too
Old Sep 29th 2005, 7:43 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Perthforme
PMSL!
Old Sep 29th 2005, 7:44 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Good reading too
That was copied from the article that Bridie had published in this month's Australian News.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 7:44 pm
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Oh well done Bridie...it's a happy ending....has made my day!
Old Sep 29th 2005, 7:47 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
That was copied from the article that Bridie had published in this month's Australian News.
Yeah i know
Hows your extra info comming ? Also can you 2 make it to the next meet
Old Sep 29th 2005, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Jempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to all

Would you belive it !! the paper came today and ,I spoted it staight away but she looks so young!!! I ALWAYS THOUGHT HER BIKINI LINE WAS GREY
Old Sep 29th 2005, 9:27 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jempower
Would you belive it !! the paper came today and ,I spoted it staight away but she looks so young!!! I ALWAYS THOUGHT HER BIKINI LINE WAS GREY
Did you imagine she had a sugar daddy???...
Old Sep 30th 2005, 7:50 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridiej
Thanks Tony, Anne & Mandi
No worries!
Old Sep 30th 2005, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Good reading too
But there was no mention of the whingeing!

Good article. Well done Tony for typing it up. Mind you - I'd have thought Bridie you could have just pasted your copy (unless the whingeing was edited out by Australian News that is!).

Have the tabloids headhunted you yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.