Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone got any experiences on the creepy crawly out there?

Anyone got any experiences on the creepy crawly out there?

Old Jul 28th 2006, 8:11 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone got any experiences on the creepy crawly out there?

Originally Posted by JenJen
Oh hell Steve Irwin doesn't jump out form under your bed aswell does he ????
If Steve Irwin jumped out from under my bed, I'd swat him with a sledgehammer.
Old Jul 28th 2006, 9:18 am
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

When I was in Cairns a long time ago every time it rained all the cane toads used to try and get in the house for shelter we also used to get green tree frogs in the bathroom and enormous huntsman spiders.
I wouldn't go in the pool for ages cos some joker had put a rubber crocodile in there and I convinced myself it was real :
Old Jul 28th 2006, 10:10 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Holy shit

I'm scared now.... :scared:

My husband must really hate me to want to take me out there to live (sorry)

What nasties are there in Melbourne ???? Just out of curiosity cause the co. has just agreed to pay for us to have a permanent visa so prob by the end of the year beginning of next year we'll be splattign spiders adn checkign the car and bed every 5 minutes????

Oh hell Steve Irwin doesn't jump out form under your bed aswell does he ????
Actually that would prob make my kids day they think he's great

Jenxx
Advoid the river Yarra area, crocs come out of the water and attack people walking nearby.
Old Jul 28th 2006, 12:53 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
Advoid the river Yarra area, crocs come out of the water and attack people walking nearby.

Indeed. This is why the population of Melbourne is so small.
Old Jul 28th 2006, 2:32 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Nice - what sort is he then?
its a golden orb weaver very common not heard of any in houses and they really dont seem to leave thier webs
Old Jul 28th 2006, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

What nasties are there in Melbourne ???? Just out of curiosity cause the co. has just agreed to pay for us to have a permanent visa so prob by the end of the year beginning of next year we'll be splattign spiders adn checkign the car and bed every 5 minutes????
Snakes and spiders (snakes mostly in the parks ) but don't worry you will soon adjust to having to check your bed for whitetails before you get in
Old Jul 28th 2006, 7:53 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Teliko21
Snakes and spiders (snakes mostly in the parks ) but don't worry you will soon adjust to having to check your bed for whitetails before you get in

You're all kidding right ????

aren't you ?

Oh shit you'll know when I arrive then cause teh screams will travel for miles around if I find anything with more than 2 legs in my bed.

We have friends on the east side of Melbourne, they're kids tend to run round the garden barefoot? IS it safe to do that ? My kids do that here??? I'm just worried i'll have to be shoutign put your shoes on all the time, OMG and prior to that am i going to be checking shoes and clothign before each use to make sure there's not a nasty in there???

THe east side seems a bit more green than the west but I hear Huntsmen like areas with trees and brush would it be better to move to teh east or west side??? Cause i'm imaginign the east may have more creep crawlies

OMG i'm really freaking out. You'll have my husband on here later asking why you've pursuaded me not to move out there, he won't be impressed as he's about to lose his job here
I dont' know if i can move the 3 kids keep me busy enough without havign to check everyones beds each night before tehy get in - and then what amn i gonna do scare it away by screaming at it i'm petrified of the buggers.

What if i get bitten ????? Oh god do ppl die ????? :scared:

Jenxx
Old Jul 28th 2006, 8:57 pm
Account Closed

You're all kidding right ????

aren't you ?

Oh shit you'll know when I arrive then cause teh screams will travel for miles around if I find anything with more than 2 legs in my bed.

We have friends on the east side of Melbourne, they're kids tend to run round the garden barefoot? IS it safe to do that ? My kids do that here??? I'm just worried i'll have to be shoutign put your shoes on all the time, OMG and prior to that am i going to be checking shoes and clothign before each use to make sure there's not a nasty in there???

THe east side seems a bit more green than the west but I hear Huntsmen like areas with trees and brush would it be better to move to teh east or west side??? Cause i'm imaginign the east may have more creep crawlies

OMG i'm really freaking out. You'll have my husband on here later asking why you've pursuaded me not to move out there, he won't be impressed as he's about to lose his job here
I dont' know if i can move the 3 kids keep me busy enough without havign to check everyones beds each night before tehy get in - and then what amn i gonna do scare it away by screaming at it i'm petrified of the buggers.

What if i get bitten ????? Oh god do ppl die ????? :scared:

Jenxx
Jen... my dear girl...

http://www.bagmakersinc.com/_2006%20...0-lb_brown.jpg

Here's a nice brown bag to breath into. Now calm down.

Right, for a start, when you visit a park or play around in your garden, there aren't hundreds of snakes hissing around that you'll have to step in between. They're actually incredibly shy and dont' like people very much. I'd be impressed if you see one in your first year. As for spiders, so what, you see the odd one here and there but it's ok. They're just spiders and they squash exactly like any other spider.
In theory, all spiders bite, including UK ones, it's just you don't think about it because they don't normally bite you. They bite insects and caterpillars.

I'd be cautious about the kids having bare feet in the garden because they might get a bindi which is painful (it's a seed which gets stuck in your skin if you step on one.

I got bitten the other week... felt headachy and sick for a day but that's because I've never been bitten the doc said. Next time, he said, I'd be fine. Not planning on there being a next time but never mind. Anyway, I'm still alive - most spiders aren't life threatening, just the odd one or two here and there. If you do get bitten, you go to the hospital and get anti venom and you'll be fine.

If you read up this thread, I think I mentioned how you are on alert for a while, but that's normal. Then you start to relax a bit and before you know it, you're Steve Irwin's evil twin.

Now stop freaking out and relax.

20 million people can't be wrong, can they?
Old Jul 28th 2006, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iPom
Jen... my dear girl...

Right, for a start, when you visit a park or play around in your garden, there aren't hundreds of snakes hissing around that you'll have to step in between. They're actually incredibly shy and dont' like people very much. I'd be impressed if you see one in your first year. As for spiders, so what, you see the odd one here and there but it's ok. They're just spiders and they squash exactly like any other spider.
In theory, all spiders bite, including UK ones, it's just you don't think about it because they don't normally bite you. They bite insects and caterpillars.

I'd be cautious about the kids having bare feet in the garden because they might get a bindi which is painful (it's a seed which gets stuck in your skin if you step on one.

I got bitten the other week... felt headachy and sick for a day but that's because I've never been bitten the doc said. Next time, he said, I'd be fine. Not planning on there being a next time but never mind. Anyway, I'm still alive - most spiders aren't life threatening, just the odd one or two here and there. If you do get bitten, you go to the hospital and get anti venom and you'll be fine.

If you read up this thread, I think I mentioned how you are on alert for a while, but that's normal. Then you start to relax a bit and before you know it, you're Steve Irwin's evil twin.

Now stop freaking out and relax.

20 million people can't be wrong, can they?
Can you come live with us once we get out there to squish the beasties for me???????????

Sorry

I think snakes i'd be ok but its the spiders. I can't cope with them here and tht's withign a mile radius lol

Jenxx
Old Jul 28th 2006, 9:06 pm
Account Closed

Can you come live with us once we get out there to squish the beasties for me???????????

Sorry

I think snakes i'd be ok but its the spiders. I can't cope with them here and tht's withign a mile radius lol

Jenxx

You'll be fine. I suggest you get yourself a cricket bat because that's the best squashing tool I've found so far. Even angled to get into corners.

You'll be fine Jen. Don't worry about it.

PS - If you're coming to the Blue Mountains, I can squash beasties for you, for a price.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
Jen... my dear girl...

Right, for a start, when you visit a park or play around in your garden, there
Well you may be please to know IPOM that I took your advise and I have calmed a little. I have ensured the garage etc is cleared of clutter, but the best laugh up to date.

My 8 year old Georgia was standing near the bush this afternoon and shouts, "mum, dad there is a hissing noise in the bush", now my 4 year old was there as well and also heard a hissing noise, so Stuart said stand back and got a long stick and had a poke, now after about 5 minutes or so of poking and brushing of leaves of the very large bush I may add, he proclaims, I have found it, it was nothing more than a cricket. It was so loud I would have sworn it was a snake also, even so I was very prooud of our girls to let us know rather than go and investigate themselves!!
Old Jul 29th 2006, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

wintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to all

the do is live here the dont is dont worrie about it its sharks i worrie about
Old Jul 29th 2006, 12:34 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julie hilton
I'm just interested if anyone who has had any experiences on the wildlife out there. i.e Crocodiles and the poisonous snakes e.t.c

Can anyone give some good advice on the DO's and DON'Ts

Cheers
Watch where you go swimming - make sure there are plenty of others around who you can out swim

If your going to stand on a snake, stand on the head and do it with big boots.

Crocs can outrun you so don't think its ever far enough.

Used to get lots of Weta's and other things running over us when we used to go bush. Sleeping in damp Bivouacs with sleeping bags is not going to shield you so you just take up snoring - that seems to keep them away

Personally I'd be more worried about the bloody jellyfish or getting sunburnt.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 12:37 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wintersgills
the do is live here the dont is dont worrie about it its sharks i worrie about
You seen what a Mako can do to the back of your boat? When the line goes dead thats the time to worry because he's heading straight for the boat

Won't catch me diving in the Western Bay
Old Jul 29th 2006, 12:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by manxfamily
Well you may be please to know IPOM that I took your advise and I have calmed a little. I have ensured the garage etc is cleared of clutter, but the best laugh up to date.

My 8 year old Georgia was standing near the bush this afternoon and shouts, "mum, dad there is a hissing noise in the bush", now my 4 year old was there as well and also heard a hissing noise, so Stuart said stand back and got a long stick and had a poke, now after about 5 minutes or so of poking and brushing of leaves of the very large bush I may add, he proclaims, I have found it, it was nothing more than a cricket. It was so loud I would have sworn it was a snake also, even so I was very prooud of our girls to let us know rather than go and investigate themselves!!

LOL - that's great. No snakes around in the winter - too cold.