Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone gone as a Welfare worker?

Anyone gone as a Welfare worker?

Old Mar 29th 2007, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

WILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud of
Default Anyone gone as a Welfare worker?

We are the Wilkinson family and have our residency visas, just waiting to sell the house....
Our sister and family also want to try and get out there and was wondering if anyone has had their skills,qualifications assessed to go as a Welfare/Social worker. If so can you tell us how strict they are with the qualifications? Do courses, NVQ,s and general training certificates count? I think they don,t want to waste their money if their qualifications count for nothing. It does state on the skills application form that you don,t have to have a degree and other qualificaions are recognised. What would these be? Hope somone can help.
Kindest regards
Jane
Old Mar 29th 2007, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone gone as a Welfare worker?

You can go over with social work qualifacations but wouldn't be able to work as a social worker until you re did the social law aspect of your degree. although despite this you couldpractice as a guidence sort of person for instance supporting people who had been victims of rape etc which would use your social work training just not the law bits of it. Hope this helps a bit
Old Mar 29th 2007, 4:46 pm
Professional Dreamer!

Big Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really nice

Hello,
I have been through this process and it isn't an easy one but if they have a British Social work qualification (CQSW,CSS,DipSW), they should have no problem being assessed as a Welfare Worker. You need a degree in social work and substantial experience to be approved as a Social Worker and even with this you may have to do additional study.

Originally I was assessed as a Welfare Worker and obtained PR, moved to Brisbane and couldn't find any work. Most of the jobs I could apply for were really poorly paid. I have since done an MA in Social Work, have been reassessed and finally I am now classed as a Social Worker!!!

If they have experience in child protection they may find decent employment in some states as a Welfare Worker. Queensland Department of Child Safety insist on a degree! Victoria, ACT, NSW do accept Bristh social work qualifications. I think that Victoria are recruiting again and they offer really good relocation packages.

BS
Old Mar 30th 2007, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

WILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Big Sky
Hello,
I have been through this process and it isn't an easy one but if they have a British Social work qualification (CQSW,CSS,DipSW), they should have no problem being assessed as a Welfare Worker. You need a degree in social work and substantial experience to be approved as a Social Worker and even with this you may have to do additional study.

Originally I was assessed as a Welfare Worker and obtained PR, moved to Brisbane and couldn't find any work. Most of the jobs I could apply for were really poorly paid. I have since done an MA in Social Work, have been reassessed and finally I am now classed as a Social Worker!!!

If they have experience in child protection they may find decent employment in some states as a Welfare Worker. Queensland Department of Child Safety insist on a degree! Victoria, ACT, NSW do accept Bristh social work qualifications. I think that Victoria are recruiting again and they offer really good relocation packages.

BS
Thank you so much for replying.
Do you know what qualifications are needed to apply as a Welfare worker, and not a Social worker. Any information is greatly appreciated.
Thank you again and hope to speak soon.
Kindest Regards
Jane x
Old Mar 31st 2007, 10:52 am
Professional Dreamer!

Big Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really niceBig Sky is just really nice

Originally Posted by WILKINSONS
Thank you so much for replying.
Do you know what qualifications are needed to apply as a Welfare worker, and not a Social worker. Any information is greatly appreciated.
Thank you again and hope to speak soon.
Kindest Regards
Jane x
Hi Jane,
They need to look at the Australian Institute of Welfare Workers website for further info: http://www.aiwcw.org.au/

Send me a PM if they need any further info.

BS
Old Mar 31st 2007, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Hello BS
Thanks again for getting back to me. I have forwarded the website details to my inlaws to sort it out for themselves, it is very difficult when you are the inbetween.
By the way how long have you been in Oz? We are hoping to be out by July this year, we have someone interested in our house and thats the only thing holding us back at the moment. We are initially thinking of going to Upper Coomera because of the location, close to Gold coast and not too far from Brisbane cbd. Do you know anyone who lives there, or have you been there yourself? Upper Coomera State College looks great for my 7 year old and I also have a 19 year old who will need to find work when we get there. He is currently working in the UK as a Buyer. Hubby already has his job lined up in Rocklea.
Speak soon, thanks again
Janex
Old Mar 31st 2007, 3:28 pm
Professional Dreamer!

Hello BS
Thanks again for getting back to me. I have forwarded the website details to my inlaws to sort it out for themselves, it is very difficult when you are the inbetween.
By the way how long have you been in Oz? We are hoping to be out by July this year, we have someone interested in our house and thats the only thing holding us back at the moment. We are initially thinking of going to Upper Coomera because of the location, close to Gold coast and not too far from Brisbane cbd. Do you know anyone who lives there, or have you been there yourself? Upper Coomera State College looks great for my 7 year old and I also have a 19 year old who will need to find work when we get there. He is currently working in the UK as a Buyer. Hubby already has his job lined up in Rocklea.
Speak soon, thanks again
Janex
Hi Jane,
I'm in the UK, planning to return to Brisbane next year. I used to live in North Brisbane and don't know the areas that you are interested in but I'm sure there will be people on this site that do. Good luck with your house sale and move. I will be visiting Brisbane in August for a holiday with my family, we are planning a trip to the Gold Coast, if you are there then we could meet up?
BS
Old May 11th 2007, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

minibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud of

We are the Wilkinson family and have our residency visas, just waiting to sell the house....
Our sister and family also want to try and get out there and was wondering if anyone has had their skills,qualifications assessed to go as a Welfare/Social worker. If so can you tell us how strict they are with the qualifications? Do courses, NVQ,s and general training certificates count? I think they don,t want to waste their money if their qualifications count for nothing. It does state on the skills application form that you don,t have to have a degree and other qualificaions are recognised. What would these be? Hope somone can help.
Kindest regards
Jane
Hi jane

I have just found your thread whilst doing a search, i am in the process of applying as a Welfare Worker, i found it useful to complete an on line assessment with a migration company most will give her a yes or no straight away as it adds up the points for you, it gave me a list of the qualification to choose from.

Thanks minibelle
Old May 15th 2007, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Anyone gone as a Welfare worker?

Hello minibelle,

Thank you for the reply!!!!!
Could you tell me the name of the migration company that you used for the assessment for Welfare worker so I can pass the details over to my in-laws.They want to avoid wasting the money for the trade assessment if they can. Also was the on-line assessment free?
Any help on this one is appreciated.
Thank you so much
Janex
Old May 16th 2007, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

minibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud of

Hello minibelle,

Thank you for the reply!!!!!
Could you tell me the name of the migration company that you used for the assessment for Welfare worker so I can pass the details over to my in-laws.They want to avoid wasting the money for the trade assessment if they can. Also was the on-line assessment free?
Any help on this one is appreciated.
Thank you so much
Janex
Hi Jane

We are still having my skills assessed, we are using the Visa bureau, but there are plenty around, if you google them you can do the 'test' on line its free and it adds all of the points up for you, when you submit the form it tells you if they think you have enough points or not, its the 136 independent skilled visa. If you google most migration agents they have a similar 'test' but some dont give you the result straight away.

We have been really pleased with them but some people on this site have paid less with other agents.

I am sure there are other people on here who have filled in similar on line forms, they might be able to point you to different sites.

I will let you know how it goes so you can pass it on,

Thanks Julie