Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

anyone in GEELONG ?

anyone in GEELONG ?

Old Apr 7th 2008, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

dalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to all
Default Re: anyone in GEELONG ?

First thing I would say that the Geelong Advertiser is on a bit of a crusade about crime in Geelong. Secondly I would like to mention that the Geelong Advertiser tends to write it's articles in such a way to emphasise their crusade. (The Geelong Advertiser has recently been on many "crusades" circulation must be falling)

It also seems strange that the two "alleged" attackers did not hurriedly leave the scene of the crime, but were still there when the police arrive.

I have a god daughter who is prosecuter with the local Geeong Police and I have discussed with her in the past the supposed crime rate in Geelong. She says that Saturday nights after the night clubs empty can be a bit of a problem and that there are some "dickheads" outhere, but Geelong is about the same as any other city.

I'd hate people to think that Geelong is a violent city, it's no worse or better than any other city in Australia. The unemployed young people hang about the city mall. I have walked through the areas where they congretate and I have never felt intimidated or threatened. I wonder if anyone has thought that the young people may feel intimidated and threatened by middle class fully employed adults?
Old Apr 7th 2008, 2:40 am

dazah is an unknown quantity at this point

dalhousie exactly i have never felt so safe walking passed a gang they just say hi how ya going when i look at them or they just look the other way

unlike in the uk geelong is a safe place to live i seen worse things on the news about gold coast but thats the minority

imho geelong is a nice city to live cheap gr8 views and nice people
Old Apr 7th 2008, 4:48 am
Permanent Resident

Laights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Dazah,

We were in Geelong last year and have to say we liked the city, yes we did see groups of people/teens but were not concerned, they didn't seem threatening to us, just moved out of the way or said Hello and it didn't seem oppressive not like some of the shopping centres here.

I read the Geelong Advertiser on the net and I can honestly say that the crime thats reported is nothing like what we have on a daily basis here.

Look forward to any meetups later in the year

Lisa
Old Apr 8th 2008, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

dalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to all

Sorry to bring this up again, and I must declare that I have a "thing" about tabloid reporting either on TV or in the papers. It drives me mad, locally and worldwide I reckon its the cause of most of the mistrust and fear in the world and it's actually the "antichrist"

The continuing story of the "attack"

The young women in question were not strangers to each other, they had a long "history" of disputes. The alleged attack was not really unprovoked.

Only one woman has been charged. Two other women MAY be charged, but they will be the "victim" and the mother. It is to be considered that the mother may have broken her toe while kicking something or somebody.

So I am sure tomorrow the "Addie" will print a front page story explaining the situation and that people need not be afraid that young strangers are going to attack them in the street for apparently no reason. And really that Geelong is quite safe. Aye right!!!!

Feel better after that wee rant.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dalhousie
Sorry to bring this up again, and I must declare that I have a "thing" about tabloid reporting either on TV or in the papers. It drives me mad, locally and worldwide I reckon its the cause of most of the mistrust and fear in the world and it's actually the "antichrist"

The continuing story of the "attack"

The young women in question were not strangers to each other, they had a long "history" of disputes. The alleged attack was not really unprovoked.

Only one woman has been charged. Two other women MAY be charged, but they will be the "victim" and the mother. It is to be considered that the mother may have broken her toe while kicking something or somebody.

So I am sure tomorrow the "Addie" will print a front page story explaining the situation and that people need not be afraid that young strangers are going to attack them in the street for apparently no reason. And really that Geelong is quite safe. Aye right!!!!

Feel better after that wee rant.
LOL

That's OK.

The Addy is full of trash

I knew that there'd be more to the story
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:20 am

dazah is an unknown quantity at this point

i dont even buy the addy cause it has more crap in it then my toilet
Old Apr 9th 2008, 12:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dazah
i dont even buy the addy cause it has more crap in it then my toilet
So true!

Doesn't stop me keeping an online eye on what's supposedly happening though.

Old Sep 27th 2008, 9:44 pm
Happy where I am

wiltsgurl is just really nicewiltsgurl is just really nicewiltsgurl is just really nicewiltsgurl is just really nicewiltsgurl is just really nicewiltsgurl is just really nicewiltsgurl is just really nicewiltsgurl is just really nicewiltsgurl is just really nice

HI All

Weve finally made it to Oz, have made our home in Geelong, and looking to rent in the Highton area within the next couple of weeks when our furniture arrives.

Hubby starts work tomorrow so I am with the 3 kids while he goes off, feeling a bit nervous about that but I am sure the kids will be occupied with the bird sanctuary (my eldest son loves it there) and one of the many parks/beaches.

We are a couple in our 30's, and have 3 children 8, 6 and 1. Are there any expat families out there who would like to meet up at some point? DOesnt seem to be many people settling in this area at all.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 11:12 pm
Permanent Resident

Laights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

We will be arriving in Geelong around the 27th October, although we are in our 40's, would love to meet up at some point.

Lisa
Old Sep 28th 2008, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wiltsgurl
HI All

Weve finally made it to Oz, have made our home in Geelong, and looking to rent in the Highton area within the next couple of weeks when our furniture arrives.

Hubby starts work tomorrow so I am with the 3 kids while he goes off, feeling a bit nervous about that but I am sure the kids will be occupied with the bird sanctuary (my eldest son loves it there) and one of the many parks/beaches.

We are a couple in our 30's, and have 3 children 8, 6 and 1. Are there any expat families out there who would like to meet up at some point? DOesnt seem to be many people settling in this area at all.
Originally Posted by Laights
Hi,

We will be arriving in Geelong around the 27th October, although we are in our 40's, would love to meet up at some point.

Lisa
Welcome to the Geelong area Wiltsgurl and Laights. I'm sure you will love it here. Geelong is set nicely between Melbourne and the Surf Beaches, the best of both worlds.

Though I don't live in the Geelong city area (I'm in Lorne about hours drive south west) I'd would be happy to meet up with anyone who makes the drive down the Great Ocean Road and visits Lorne . PM me if you are heading this way and would like to meet up. To warn you though that I am quite a bit older than most people here. A "young" late 60's could best describe my husband and myself.

Cheers

Dalhousie
Old Oct 1st 2008, 7:03 pm
Permanent Resident

Hi Dalhousie,

We visited Lorne last year on our reccie trip, had a lovely cup of coffee there, no doubt we will travel down the GOR at some point as we are having about a month off before we start looking for jobs etc, also to show our sons around, would love to meet up for a coffee.

Wiltsgirl sent you a pm but its playing up at the moment so I don't know if you have received it.

Lisa x x x
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Laights
Hi Dalhousie,

We visited Lorne last year on our reccie trip, had a lovely cup of coffee there, no doubt we will travel down the GOR at some point as we are having about a month off before we start looking for jobs etc, also to show our sons around, would love to meet up for a coffee.

Wiltsgirl sent you a pm but its playing up at the moment so I don't know if you have received it.

Lisa x x x
Thanks for your post Lisa, I did not receive a PM. I have PM'd you and Wiltsgurl. I hope it gets through OK

Cheers
Dalhousie
Old Oct 4th 2008, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

geelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud of

Hi everyone,
We arrived last Sunday night, 28th. We think we have secured a rental in Highton and hope to find out early next week if we have it.

We would be interested in meeting up too.

@wiltsgirl, have you thought about schools yet? We have 6 and 8 year old boys and hope to get them into Bellaire. Montpelier and Highton Primary are also very good by all accounts.

Regards.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

karensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to all

Originally Posted by geelong
Hi everyone,
We arrived last Sunday night, 28th. We think we have secured a rental in Highton and hope to find out early next week if we have it.

We would be interested in meeting up too.

@wiltsgirl, have you thought about schools yet? We have 6 and 8 year old boys and hope to get them into Bellaire. Montpelier and Highton Primary are also very good by all accounts.

Regards.
Hi we arrive dec 2nd and hope to rent in highton after a couple of months (as staying with my sister to start with)
good luck hope everything works out for you
karen x
Old Oct 5th 2008, 9:45 am
Happy where I am

wiltsgurl is just really nicewiltsgurl is just really nicewiltsgurl is just really nicewiltsgurl is just really nicewiltsgurl is just really nicewiltsgurl is just really nicewiltsgurl is just really nicewiltsgurl is just really nicewiltsgurl is just really nice

Hi all sorry about not posting replies, we have limited internet access at mo. Have replied to you all through PMs I think, @ Geelong re schools in particular as Im hoping to get my eldest two children into same schools this week (please god help me if I dont they are driving me )

Had a nice stroll along the beachfront today with the monthly craft market. What a lovely day it was!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.