Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone flown with Royal Brunei?

Anyone flown with Royal Brunei?

Old Aug 21st 2010, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone flown with Royal Brunei?

Malaysia airlines have decided to stop flying the plane with TV's from KUL to BNE...so thats not an option for us anymore....kids will go bananas...as would I
Wondered if anyone has flown with the above airline and what are your thoughts and experiences..as I have heard awful things about the airport and my travel agent has given me this one as one of our options

Many thanks

Old Aug 21st 2010, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

edie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Anyone flown with Royal Brunei?

Hi I have flown twice with Royal Brunei once UK to Bali return and once Oz to UK.

I think they are a really nice outfit although they are a dry airline, when I flew UK to Bali we were three young blokes and they said to us on the plane that if we brought some alcohol onto the plane and were discreet they would be ok with that. However on the Oz to UK no such luck. The food was excellent even my kids who don't really like airline food said it was good. the in-flight entertainment was a little dated but still acceptable. The stewards were very friendly and helpful.

The legroom was about normal from what I remember, nothing spectacular. All in all I would use them again if the price was right.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 10:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimtrish
Malaysia airlines have decided to stop flying the plane with TV's from KUL to BNE...so thats not an option for us anymore....kids will go bananas...as would I
Wondered if anyone has flown with the above airline and what are your thoughts and experiences..as I have heard awful things about the airport and my travel agent has given me this one as one of our options

Many thanks

They were brilliant. Flew with them two years ago and no complaints. Yes the airport at Bandar is not the most interesting airport but it's clean and rarely crowded (from what I've experienced and what I've been told from others). One small cafe and one gift shop but we were only there two hours at the most so no big deal.

The flight was good, my tv didn't work but I've had the same with Singapore. The food was good, the staff were excellent. Some people complain about lack of alcohol but I only drink water on flights so that didn't matter. The only other major complaint from people which I also couldn't give a monkey's about is that before each flight they do a short prayer. I figure I'm on a Muslim flight and if they want to pray for a couple of minutes, it's up to them. It's not like you have to get on your knees and join in, we just carried on reading or talking quietly to each other, no one minded.

Considering how much cheaper they are than the big ones, the service was on a par with them imo. It's still 24hours in a tin can at the end of the day.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 10:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Flew Perth to Dubai with them. From Perth to Brunei we had a smaller aircraft and only had the tv screens that dropped from the ceiling so my youngest couldn't actually see it. The food was good. Had three hours at Brunei airport, cheap coffee shop with free internet access to pass the time. Only one normal toilet in the ladies, all the rest were squats. The Boarding lounge is small and when we were there was chockers so had to find a space in the corner to sit on the floor because the kids were getting tired. From Brunei to Dubai had a better plane with individual tv screens which made life much more pleasant for my three kids.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
They were brilliant. Flew with them two years ago and no complaints. Yes the airport at Bandar is not the most interesting airport but it's clean and rarely crowded (from what I've experienced and what I've been told from others). One small cafe and one gift shop but we were only there two hours at the most so no big deal.

The flight was good, my tv didn't work but I've had the same with Singapore. The food was good, the staff were excellent. Some people complain about lack of alcohol but I only drink water on flights so that didn't matter. The only other major complaint from people which I also couldn't give a monkey's about is that before each flight they do a short prayer. I figure I'm on a Muslim flight and if they want to pray for a couple of minutes, it's up to them. It's not like you have to get on your knees and join in, we just carried on reading or talking quietly to each other, no one minded.

Considering how much cheaper they are than the big ones, the service was on a par with them imo. It's still 24hours in a tin can at the end of the day.
Couldn't agree more with you....if praying keeps you in the air then its all good with me! Im just concerned about the airport facilities to be honest, we would have @ 5hr stop...
Old Aug 21st 2010, 10:44 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Couldn't agree more with you....if praying keeps you in the air then its all good with me! Im just concerned about the airport facilities to be honest, we would have @ 5hr stop...
Gameboys or similar saved just for the stopover, battery should last that long. It was boring but then I find the whole flight thing boring. Found it far more relaxing than Dubai. I hate that airport, it's just too much for all senses. Couldn't wait to get back on the plane
Old Aug 21st 2010, 10:59 am
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

don't do it!!! will never fly with this airline again. Knew it was dry -not a problem though like a good g&t. No - problem was firstly the serious schedule changes at short notice, then the really crap plane on the Brunei to Sydney leg where my seat was faulty and no in flight entertainment, then my hubbys and other passengers stuff nicked at Dubai when we were told to leave everything onboard, then the nonsense at Dubai when we were taken off then put back on the plane, then the non response to my complaints.
Seriously don't do it

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/rba.htm

here are some other opinions
Old Aug 21st 2010, 11:58 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

From KUL to BNE, I'd be tempted to go via SIN on Singapore. The long sector SIN to BNE is on the A330-300 which is very nice indeed with the new seats and AVOD. Its only a 55 min flight to Singapore from KL and if you pick the days that too will be an A330, some flights are operated by Silk Air on that route so just check.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 12:41 pm
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

went with them in sept last year as they were cheapest flt availible for me at short notice. Just as comfortable/uncomfortable as all the other airlines. Food was absolutely fine (have never found airline food that I would rave over-its all just a bit of food in the middle of a boring journey to me!) The staff were lovely,very pleasant and friendly.
I had 4 hours in the airport, however they had someone in the airport who arranges trips for people with long stopovers so I paid approx $13AU and went for a 2hour bus trip into Brunei- facinating place, trip was totally worth the money as I reckon I may have been banging my head on the wall of I had to sit or walk around the airport for 4 hrs! Yes the airport is tiny make sure if you are taking kids that you have something to keep them occupied or it will be worse than normal as there are only 2 places you can look round and that will honestly take you 3-4 minutes.
No complaints with them at all.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Centurion
From KUL to BNE, I'd be tempted to go via SIN on Singapore. The long sector SIN to BNE is on the A330-300 which is very nice indeed with the new seats and AVOD. Its only a 55 min flight to Singapore from KL and if you pick the days that too will be an A330, some flights are operated by Silk Air on that route so just check.
Well for someone who hates flying, its not really something I would consider to be honest. We flew Malaysia airlines last time, and they were on the A330's then for the KUL to UK it was the jumbo...all lovely and the service and seating etc was superb...actually can't fault them at all hence choosing them again this time, only they have messed our plans up for the return journey
Old Aug 21st 2010, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scotty1
don't do it!!! will never fly with this airline again. Knew it was dry -not a problem though like a good g&t. No - problem was firstly the serious schedule changes at short notice, then the really crap plane on the Brunei to Sydney leg where my seat was faulty and no in flight entertainment, then my hubbys and other passengers stuff nicked at Dubai when we were told to leave everything onboard, then the nonsense at Dubai when we were taken off then put back on the plane, then the non response to my complaints.
Seriously don't do it

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/rba.htm

here are some other opinions

Haha read those reviews earlier....ummm thinking we may seek Singapore airlines....
Old Aug 21st 2010, 12:59 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

A couple of months before we flew the agent rang to say that RB had changed their schedule for our return trip but that they were offering to put us up in a hotel for a night and free food and a trip or two around the city. We had a great time, lovely hotel, good food and loved the place. A really nice place to break up that interminable flight that we probably wouldn't have experienced normally. Wouldn't mind going back again.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 1:38 pm
Wow 2yrs in Oz!

Location: Liverpool to Townsville via North America & the Middle East!
The_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud of

Haha read those reviews earlier....ummm thinking we may seek Singapore airlines....
We validated in March / April I gave the family (I have 2 older children and 1 teenager) the option of either spending the extra £500 each it would have cost the bank of Dad to fly on the Emirates flights or spending it on themselves in Australia. Needless to say they chose RB .

There were no complaints, food was good, although I still have not eaten rice since then as they serve it with every meal. This is a dry airline so no booze served on board (but you can take your own ) and as it is an airline from a Muslim country a prayer is played over the speakers before take off, some people will find the tone of the voice used off putting, for me and the rest of the Griswolds we didn't, as I work in the Middle East it's become the norm for us.

The airport is nothing more than a large room with windows a, couple of shops selling not a lot, a cafe and a money changer (all items purchased at the shops / cafe have to be paid for in local currency).

One final note on the way home from Brsibane we were mid flight on the leg from Bandar to Dubai when the flight turned around and headed back to Bandar, we were put into a 4* hotel and spent 6 days at RB's expense in Brunei, we were fed 3 times a day, and watching other people on TV stranded across Asia made us feel quite lucky. The staff were very friendly and accomodating we really could not fault the flights, but not all passengers have the same experience.

Ask anyone who flew with BA (what used to be the worlds favourite & mine) in 2005 with no catering during the Gate Gourmet strikes or during the opening of T5 when they arrived at their destination and their baggage didn't or during the recent spell of strikes when flights were cancelled / delayed etc .

If you do travel RB I would say after reading all the reviews, then prepare for the worst and then you may just be pleasantly surprised, you may even save yourself some money I know when offered the £500 each saving for 24 hours "hardship" what my kids chose.

Some people will only travel major airlines, some will only travel Easyjet / Ryannair, thats why there is room for both in the market place, its your money you make the choice, I wish you an enjoyable, safe and timely flight whoever you fly with.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Don_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really nice

Many thanks

If the TV is important then I would not use RB if I were you.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Don_Angel
If the TV is important then I would not use RB if I were you.
I really have a huge phobia of flying, so I can almost 'forget' abit when I watch a film...and the kids would be bored out of their heads with no films or games to play...they are 15,13 and 10....decisions, decisions. I would be gutted if I had to stay over due to last minute schedule rechanges as I have already booked our hotel in Sydney for a day and night to explore before coming back up to the tropics...plus we will have work to come back to and the kids school. Its good that RB sorted it out, but for me, it would be a nightmare..especially with 3 animals in kennels waiting on being collected...

Thanks all for your input, really appreciate it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.