Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone flown with Malaysian Airlines & got increased baggage

Anyone flown with Malaysian Airlines & got increased baggage

Old Jan 23rd 2007, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

John Sharp is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone flown with Malaysian Airlines & got increased baggage

Finally sold house & booked to fly on 12th of next month to Brisbane, above question self explanitory if anyone has any relevant info. & particularly contact numbers it would be most appreciated.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Jim n Nic has a brilliant futureJim n Nic has a brilliant futureJim n Nic has a brilliant futureJim n Nic has a brilliant futureJim n Nic has a brilliant futureJim n Nic has a brilliant future
Default Re: Anyone flown with Malaysian Airlines & got increased baggage

HI

Yep we flew with Malaysian to Perth, we called them after we had booked the tickets to request extra allowance, they said no problem at all. Can't remember how much it was increased to!!. Look on their website it should give you a contact number. Hope that helps. Good Luck
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

We are flying with Malaysian and our baggage allowance is being bumped up to 30kg each. It's not as good as 40, but better than 20!
In fact we can't think what we will take to use up 60kg of allowance, seeing as most of our possessions are being shipped or air-freighted in advance of us!
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 8:51 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim n Nic
HI

Yep we flew with Malaysian to Perth, we called them after we had booked the tickets to request extra allowance, they said no problem at all. Can't remember how much it was increased to!!. Look on their website it should give you a contact number. Hope that helps. Good Luck
When did you travel? I know malaysian used to do it, but I haven't seen anyone get a 40kg out of them for a good while. Worth the OP trying, but it seems to be only Singapore and Emirates that do it regularly now.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 9:00 am
hand me a stubby

silver knight is just really nicesilver knight is just really nicesilver knight is just really nicesilver knight is just really nicesilver knight is just really nicesilver knight is just really nicesilver knight is just really nicesilver knight is just really nicesilver knight is just really nice

parents flew singapore and got 40kg each last year, we are booked with singapore for the 1st june 2007 and thompson sorted the extra allowance out for us, as well as 40kg they are letting me take my bike as well

ask the place you booked your flight to sort it for you, they will know how many seats are left on the flight as well
Old Jan 24th 2007, 9:02 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silver knight
parents flew singapore and got 40kg each last year, we are booked with singapore for the 1st june 2007 and thompson sorted the extra allowance out for us, as well as 40kg they are letting me take my bike as well

ask the place you booked your flight to sort it for you, they will know how many seats are left on the flight as well
i was told by an malaysian air rep (someone who i knew from the travel industry), that they dont do migrant baggage at all. sometimes, it can be increased to 30kg.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 10:46 am
Just Joined

sven is just really nicesven is just really nicesven is just really nicesven is just really nicesven is just really nicesven is just really nicesven is just really nicesven is just really nicesven is just really nice

I'm flying to Melbourne next Wednesday. I just phoned Malaysian Airlines if there were any consessions for migrants and there are none. You are limited to 20kg, anything over has to be payed for at £34/kg.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

woody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant future

We emigrated last July and flew with Malaysian. I was told by everyone (and I mean I phoned everyone) that there was no excess baggage allowance. Once the removal truck had left, we had too much in our bags but decided that we would pay if we had to.

When we got to the checkin, we had a very nice man. He did look at the weight of our bags then at the passports. He asked us if we were emigrating, smiled and then let it all go through.

Debs
Old Jan 24th 2007, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sven
I'm flying to Melbourne next Wednesday. I just phoned Malaysian Airlines if there were any consessions for migrants and there are none. You are limited to 20kg, anything over has to be payed for at £34/kg.
We are definitely getting 30kg allowance each. Don't know how we managed it, but it is happening! Keep trying, perhaps? I know in the past other people have had conflicting information and eventually succeeded.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

I flew malaysian last Sep from heathrow. Not a full plane (in fact most people had 2 seats) but when i phoned different people at different times was told no extra baggage whatsoever permitted unless I wanted to pay for it (and it was very pricey from what i remember). However, I rocked up with 25kg in my bag which went through just fine with no mention and just a "heavy" sticker slapped on and even managed to get on board with 15kg of hand luggage. I got my 40kg one way or the other!!
Old Jan 24th 2007, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

yolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparkley23
I flew malaysian last Sep from heathrow. Not a full plane (in fact most people had 2 seats) but when i phoned different people at different times was told no extra baggage whatsoever permitted unless I wanted to pay for it (and it was very pricey from what i remember). However, I rocked up with 25kg in my bag which went through just fine with no mention and just a "heavy" sticker slapped on and even managed to get on board with 15kg of hand luggage. I got my 40kg one way or the other!!
knowing me, we woulg hit for every last gram over!