Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help! On everything!

Help! On everything!

Old Jan 24th 2007, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

ScouserJohn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help! On everything!

Hi everybody, I'm wondering if you fine people can help me out on, well, everything!

The wife and I have been discussing moving to Oz over the past 4 - 5 months, and agreed we should do it. We started drawing up a 3 year plan for us and the kids to move over.

I recently left my own business, (directors fallout) and started looking for jobs using an agency I used for our recruitment and asked them what was available.

Anyway, long story short, the agency have fixed me up with 3 phone interviews with Oz companies starting tomorrow! (Melbourne tomorrow is the first, the others will be soon!) and other than bouncing around these boards a bit (and a lot more today!) I haven't got a jar of glue about moving over to Oz. my 3 year plan has been cut to now...

So, if you fine people can assist me in any way, or point me in the right direction, I would be eternally greatful.

1) The first job is based in the 'Knowledge Precient' in Melbourne. Where are the 'nice areas' to consider that are close enough to travel via public transport, but also raise kids!

2) How much difference will my UK Credit scoring have on opening a bank account, credit cards etc in Oz? Can I pick up where I left off? Does it count for anything at all?

3) Whats the deal with taxes in Aus? I found a website called 'gomatilda' or something similar, and I don't understand half of the terms on it, let alone if I pay them or claim them! It worked out that I would be paying 45% tax which cant be right can it?

4) Does having the company apply for a skilled visa make a difference on how long it will take to process the application? Whats the quickest visa to get that allows me to work in Oz? Do I or the company apply for a TFN?

5) What blatant things have I missed in my haste?

6) What are the average benefits while working in Oz? With regards to healthcare, pension, holiday entitlement etc? (so I can see if I'm getting a fair deal on any offer)

Sorry for the quick/curt message, it's just that from 9am this morning (when I found out about the interview!) I've been bouncing around the various expat sites getting half answers, or conflicting info depending on the territories or year when people applied!

I've now got an approximate 12 hours before the interview, and I need to sleep during some of that!

Cheers everybody!

John

Last edited by ScouserJohn; Jan 24th 2007 at 7:37 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Gaz & Sue is a jewel in the roughGaz & Sue is a jewel in the roughGaz & Sue is a jewel in the roughGaz & Sue is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Help! On everything!

Originally Posted by ScouserJohn
Hi everybody, I'm wondering if you fine people can help me out on, well, everything!

The wife and I have been discussing moving to Oz over the past 4 - 5 months, and agreed we should do it. We started drawing up a 3 year plan for us and the kids to move over.

I recently left my own business, (directors fallout) and started looking for jobs using an agency I used for our recruitment and asked them what was available.

Anyway, long story short, the agency have fixed me up with 3 phone interviews with Oz companies starting tomorrow! (Melbourne tomorrow is the first, the others will be soon!) and other than bouncing around these boards a bit (and a lot more today!) I haven't got a jar of glue about moving over to Oz. my 3 year plan has been cut to now...

So, if you fine people can assist me in any way, or point me in the right direction, I would be eternally greatful.

1) The first job is based in the 'Knowledge Precient' in Melbourne. Where are the 'nice areas' to consider that are close enough to travel via public transport, but also raise kids!

2) How much difference will my UK Credit scoring have on opening a bank account, credit cards etc in Oz? Can I pick up where I left off? Does it count for anything at all?

3) Whats the deal with taxes in Aus? I found a website called 'gomatilda' or something similar, and I don't understand half of the terms on it, let alone if I pay them or claim them! It worked out that I would be paying 45% tax which cant be right can it?

4) Does having the company apply for a skilled visa make a difference on how long it will take to process the application? Whats the quickest visa to get that allows me to work in Oz? Do I or the company apply for a TFN?

6) What are the average benefits while working in Oz? With regards to healthcare, pension, holiday entitlement etc? (so I can see if I'm getting a fair deal on any offer)

Sorry for the quick/curt message, it's just that from 9am this morning (when I found out about the interview!) I've been bouncing around the various expat sites getting half answers, or conflicting info depending on the territories or year when people applied!

I've now got an approximate 12 hours before the interview, and I need to sleep during some of that!

Cheers everybody!

John
Hi John

Can't really help but just wanted to wish you good luck with the interviews.
Fellow scousers
Gaz & Sue
Old Jan 24th 2007, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! On everything!

Welcome to the site John

I don't know where to start with your post but I'll have a go and then someone else will be able to help more probably.

Originally Posted by ScouserJohn

Cheers everybody!

John
1 - I have no idea about Melbourne, sorry

2 - None whatsoever.

3 - Depends what you earn, like the UK different tax bands for different pay scales. Government site is at www.ato.gov.au

4 - Quickest visa is a 457 but it's temporary, you ideally want a permanent one as on the temporary ones you'll have all sorts of other expenses like healthcare, maybe higher school fees etc. Depends on what you'll be doing and where you'll be living as to which permanent ones are available to you though.

TFN - you apply for that, it can be done online from the ATO website when you arrive. Takes about 10 days to get to you.

5 - Not sure

6 - There are no averages really. Lots of different variables there depending on what you do for a living etc.