Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone with experience of Temping (Office Clerical/Secretarial) in Australia

Anyone with experience of Temping (Office Clerical/Secretarial) in Australia

Old Feb 1st 2008, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

chequer is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone with experience of Temping (Office Clerical/Secretarial) in Australia

Hi everyone

We're applying for a visa on my wife's nursing job but I've heard that teachers like me aren't 'in demand' (in QLD) so I'm trying to make an interim plan for working around my wife's shifts when we first arrive.

I have done quite a lot of secretarial temping in my past and thought that this might give me the flexibility that I will need to be able to work when I can but still be about to get us settled in to our new life.

Has anyone had any experience of temping in Australia? Does it work the same as in the UK? Any information gratefully received.

Robert
Old Feb 1st 2008, 7:00 pm

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone with experience of Temping (Office Clerical/Secretarial) in Australia

More likely to be called "casual" in Australia..ie "part-time casual" or "full time casual"...

Casuals get an extra % in there wages because they get no Holiday/sick allowance..most recruitment agencies deal on a casual basis
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 12:12 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone with experience of Temping (Office Clerical/Secretarial) in Australia

I used to work for a temp agency in Adelaide when we first arrived. Lots of people do temp/contract work here. If you can type and have a professional manner you should be fine.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

chequer is on a distinguished road

Thanks for that information. I think the money from the extra hours I can cram in around my wife's shifts will help to make a difference to how our settling in goes.

What is a ballpark hourly rate for secretarial temping?
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

shella_n is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Back in 2000 I had a working holiday visa and temped for about 6 months in Sydney as a Legal Secretary. I was never out of work and I was paid $21 per hour but bear in mind that was 8 years ago so Im not sure what the current situation is.

Michelle
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 8:42 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chequer
Thanks for that information. I think the money from the extra hours I can cram in around my wife's shifts will help to make a difference to how our settling in goes.

What is a ballpark hourly rate for secretarial temping?
You can expect anywhere from about $18 to $22 per hour for admin temp work.