Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone from Epping, Melbourne?

Anyone from Epping, Melbourne?

Old Sep 18th 2007, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough
Default Anyone from Epping, Melbourne?

Hi
We are moving to Melbourne next year and have been looking at moving to Epping, and from our research so far it looks like a nice area, good schools, great shopping centre-epping plaza(is this in the town or miles out?), great house prices, lots of free spaces, noce scenery etc..
Or can someone tell me different?
Any help appreciated?
Thanks
Old Sep 18th 2007, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone from Epping, Melbourne?

Anyone?
Old Sep 19th 2007, 12:08 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soulrebel
Hi
We are moving to Melbourne next year and have been looking at moving to Epping, and from our research so far it looks like a nice area, good schools, great shopping centre-epping plaza(is this in the town or miles out?), great house prices, lots of free spaces, noce scenery etc..
Or can someone tell me different?
Any help appreciated?
Thanks
North of the CBD by about 30km's it is ok, but not great. Quite a bit of new building estates, and some overspill from nearby Broadmeadows. Shopping centre can get a bit rough, as can nearby Thomastown and Broadmeadows itself, especially in the evenings at the weekend. It is also quite near Tullamarine, so it is handy for the airport, but quite close to some flight paths. I would personally not buy there before looking at the place, but then again I wouldn't do that anywhere.

Good luck
Old Sep 19th 2007, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Thats down and to the right from UK.
znaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to all

I went there last weekend and took some pictures. I went to see the new houses there but didn't get to see the shopping area which I know is being upgraded/made bigger.

House prices are from $180 - $275k with land adding another $180k on top. The 275k houses are huge (nearly 5000 sq/ft - about 3 times the size of a Uk 3-bed). Absolutely dead cheap houses.

Having only gone from the train station to that estate, it looked nice, but the train journey is about 50 minutes, and about 1.5 miles to the station, so a long walk.

In The Australian (national newspaper) this weekend, Epping was quoted as one of the 'Up and Coming' places to buy in Victoria.

Shazmac's post is most useful though - I don't know the area but speaking to people at work, the crime rate is high (for Australia), not seen as a desirable place.

I'm looking down the south east again this weekend - back to Elsternwick and Patterson Lakes/Carrum.

PM me if you want the link to the photos of there and other areas I've been.

Z
Old Sep 19th 2007, 6:57 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by znaylor1974
Shazmac's post is most useful though - I don't know the area but speaking to people at work, the crime rate is high (for Australia), not seen as a desirable place.
Cheers, but I'm not shazmac
Old Sep 20th 2007, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

znaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
Cheers, but I'm not shazmac
You all look the same to me
Old Sep 20th 2007, 9:54 am
Take it easy

Originally Posted by znaylor1974
You all look the same to me
I don't know whether she'd be more offended, or me
Old Sep 20th 2007, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
I don't know whether she'd be more offended, or me
:-)