Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

is anyone else scared?

is anyone else scared?

Old Jun 11th 2006, 2:59 pm
hjw
helenj

hjw has much to be proud ofhjw has much to be proud ofhjw has much to be proud ofhjw has much to be proud ofhjw has much to be proud ofhjw has much to be proud ofhjw has much to be proud ofhjw has much to be proud ofhjw has much to be proud ofhjw has much to be proud ofhjw has much to be proud of
Default is anyone else scared?

Hi we are going to Perth on 26th july 2006 (flights booked) and as its getting closer im really starting to panic, are we doing the right thing , will the kids(ages !4 and !8) hate us for taking them away from their friends, am i going to settle, will the dos be ok flying and in quarentine etc.
All these thoughts are going through my head it doesnt help cause hubby is working there already and he's only been back twice since new year im still working and i feel im doing everything on my own . God i can moan for Wales!!!! (well with a little help from the kids!!!)
Also 18 year old isnt flying down with me, hubby and daughter he following us on 26th Aug, cause he waiting for his A-level results and staying with my parents god help him..... (his flight is booked aswell so he cant escape he got to come) and im worried about him travelling alone (just being an over anxious mother i know, he still my little boy..haha)
It not all bad deep down i am looking forward to our new life and deep down i know we will all be fine it will be strange but i think it is the fear of the unknown
Is anyone else a few weeks away from their new life and do they feel the same??
Helenxx
Old Jun 11th 2006, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

joeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud of
Default Re: is anyone else scared?

Originally Posted by hjw
Hi we are going to Perth on 26th july 2006 (flights booked) and as its getting closer im really starting to panic, are we doing the right thing , will the kids(ages !4 and !8) hate us for taking them away from their friends, am i going to settle, will the dos be ok flying and in quarentine etc.
All these thoughts are going through my head it doesnt help cause hubby is working there already and he's only been back twice since new year im still working and i feel im doing everything on my own . God i can moan for Wales!!!! (well with a little help from the kids!!!)
Also 18 year old isnt flying down with me, hubby and daughter he following us on 26th Aug, cause he waiting for his A-level results and staying with my parents god help him..... (his flight is booked aswell so he cant escape he got to come) and im worried about him travelling alone (just being an over anxious mother i know, he still my little boy..haha)
It not all bad deep down i am looking forward to our new life and deep down i know we will all be fine it will be strange but i think it is the fear of the unknown
Helenxx
Helen,

Its only natural to worry especially at this stage. I have had plenty of nervous feelings and I haven't even got the visa yet!
Please try and chill and think of the new life ahead of you. You will probably look back in a few weeks time, when the kids have made new friends and you and them are enjoying yourselves, and wonder what you were worrying about.

All the best for your new life down under and keep us posted.

Cheers
Jo
Old Jun 11th 2006, 3:19 pm
hjw
helenj

hjw has much to be proud ofhjw has much to be proud ofhjw has much to be proud ofhjw has much to be proud ofhjw has much to be proud ofhjw has much to be proud ofhjw has much to be proud ofhjw has much to be proud ofhjw has much to be proud ofhjw has much to be proud ofhjw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by joeyb
Helen,

Its only natural to worry especially at this stage. I have had plenty of nervous feelings and I haven't even got the visa yet!
Please try and chill and think of the new life ahead of you. You will probably look back in a few weeks time, when the kids have made new friends and you and them are enjoying yourselves, and wonder what you were worrying about.

All the best for your new life down under and keep us posted.

Cheers
Jo

Thanks Jo,
I know everyone ges through it and i do know that it will be ok just me stressing and making amountain ouy of a mole hill, probably and i got pmt which dont help as hubby away and noone to take it out on HAHA.... I am looking forward to it and the kids are they just dont want toleave friends like us all..
Where are you hoping to head to?
Helen
Old Jun 11th 2006, 3:33 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

You will be fine just bring your jacket the rain is due soon
Old Jun 11th 2006, 4:17 pm
hjw
helenj

Originally Posted by Perthforme
You will be fine just bring your jacket the rain is due soon
Hi where in Perth are you living?
Hubby is down there already and said that it is lovely during the day but can be very cold at night, we are renting a house in Southern River near Canning Vale. i was down there at easter and it started to go a little cool in the evenings then, and the house has no heaters or reverse cycle air con !!
We are used to the rain as we in Wales cold and wet most of the time, although the weather is lovely at moment Iit probably not the same there though when you get rain it prbably still warm with it! .
Helen
Old Jun 11th 2006, 4:30 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hjw
Hi where in Perth are you living?
Hubby is down there already and said that it is lovely during the day but can be very cold at night, we are renting a house in Southern River near Canning Vale. i was down there at easter and it started to go a little cool in the evenings then, and the house has no heaters or reverse cycle air con !!
We are used to the rain as we in Wales cold and wet most of the time, although the weather is lovely at moment Iit probably not the same there though when you get rain it prbably still warm with it! .
Helen
Hi we are right up the other end from you , up in Clarkson .
Was down to 4 deg c last night , but not to bad in the house as bought some small heaters for bed rooms.
I hope it does rain soon as grass is going brown with the retic turned off ment to get some on mon/tues .
Old Jun 11th 2006, 4:36 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Helen,

You will be fine! Nerves are natural - I am returning to Australia in Nov after being away since 1999 and I am nervous! It is just the unknown!

You just go there, take each day at a time and make up your own mind. You will be fine!!!! I think that a group of Perth expats meet sometimes for coffee at Hillarys?! So maybe if that is the case, you could meet up.

I can't answer for your kids, my brother and I were 7 and 8 when we moved....he loves it and never wants to come back, it was me that missed England. (mind you, never returned till I was 23).

Anyway all the best!!!!!
Old Jun 11th 2006, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hjw
Helenxx

oooooooohhhhhh yes!!! i'm at the OMG stage, just got the visa, sold the house, but darent pack stage, just in case!!!!!!!

party booked though! prorities eh but then comes the thoughts,' bloody hell, its real, its going to happen, handing notice in,house move, to where, who knows!!goodbyes,,which of course are going to be painful!

my 18 year old isnt flying out until october, he wants to spend the summer with his mates and get his results too.

anyway helen, after being on BE for a couple of years, you get to know that EVERYONE goes through a rollercoaster of emotions and theyre all quite normal.

good luck with everything and have a happy new life

debbie
Old Jun 11th 2006, 4:59 pm
hjw
helenj

Originally Posted by debbiemc
oooooooohhhhhh yes!!! i'm at the OMG stage, just got the visa, sold the house, but darent pack stage, just in case!!!!!!!

debbie
Hi Debbie , thanks it does help when people in the same situation as you are having the same scary moments where are you heading too. i think the hardest part will be leaving James behind i know it for a short time but still.

helen
Old Jun 11th 2006, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

joeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud of

Hi Helen

I don't think you are making a mountain out of a molehill at all. I don't think it would be normal not to show any emotion at what you are doing. But I say go for it girl, you have only one life!

We are hoping to head for Brisbane, early next year, but still have our medicals, etc, to go through - I can see my nerves being shattered the day before that happens, never mind later on. :scared:

Good luck and keep smiling

Jo
Old Jun 11th 2006, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hjw
Hi Debbie , thanks it does help when people in the same situation as you are having the same scary moments where are you heading too. i think the hardest part will be leaving James behind i know it for a short time but still.

helen
heading to brisbane, i have a job at royal brisbane lined up.

i'm looking forward to having a break from ryan and his s*** tip of a room

we have a bit of a firey relationship so i think a little break will do us both good!!! but i am glad he's coming out in october so i can keep an eye on him well till he starts his travels that is.

it is scary helen, but i'm very excited too. we've had a bit of a rough couple of years so a fresh, clean new start is what were all looking forward too.

what about yourelves? where are you heading?
Old Jun 11th 2006, 5:49 pm
hjw
helenj

[QUOTE=debbiemc]heading to brisbane, i have a job at royal brisbane lined up.

Hi we are off to Perth we have rented a house just south of the city. I havn't got a job lined up just yet im a nursery nurse in a special needs class so hoping to try and get similar job eventually, we are going out with hubby's job and applying for a permentant visa. When James comes down he is hopefully going to Uni if not he either going to travel or look for work. I am looking forward to it as it will be nice to spend some time with hubby as eh works away quite alot, we have been to Oz a few times and i do love the place but i think it is packing up and saying goodbye that is scary. I think im excited though as every time i think about it i smile so that must be a good sign!!!!
I just wish that we had done this when kids were younger i dont think it would have been so hard for me i think as im worrying about them and i think they will adjust better thatn me and dean.
helen
Old Jun 11th 2006, 7:03 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hjw
Helenxx
the whole expat thing seems to go in stages:

stage 1) desperation to get somewhere other than the UK and general dislike of the UK in general

stage 2) elation of getting visa or job etc... absoloute euphoric atmosphere dreaming of the new life, checking house websites etccc

stage 3) utter depression with the sudden realisation at how many people you have to arrange to say "goodbye" to - and knowing you peobably wont see them again for a long, long while. Sudden plunge into the unknown makes things like leaving and packing the house terrifying and releasing unbridled affection for stupid inanimate object like the radiators and garden shed!

stage 4) arrival! overwhelming feeling of terror and excitement at the same time......

just be strong, be focused, get out there and be sociable with just about anyone you find and good friends will show through very quickly. I think in the early months if you can establish yourself socially and have a good busy life the pangs of homesickness (and they are strong in the 1st 6 months) are lessened.

Make it what you can - go for it - and you know that if it doesnt work out the UK is just a flight away. Its not a failure to return..... at least you know you've tried something new.
Old Jun 11th 2006, 7:16 pm
hjw
helenj

[QUOTE=islandmom]the whole expat thing seems to go in stages:

Everything everyone has said has helped to reasure me thank you.
I have reached every point of stages 1-3 (stage 4 here we come im sure it will be fun ...)
Im trying to think positive from now on, so many people have gone through the same emotions im sure and come out the other side so all the worrying must be worth it. Im determind to give it the best shot i can and make it work. As some one said earlier we only have one life so make the most of it, still im sure i will get a few more butterflys in the tummy untill we are there and living it. thanks Helen
Old Jun 11th 2006, 7:20 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=hjw]
Originally Posted by islandmom
the whole expat thing seems to go in stages:

Everything everyone has said has helped to reasure me thank you.
I have reached every point of stages 1-3 (stage 4 here we come im sure it will be fun ...)
Im trying to think positive from now on, so many people have gone through the same emotions im sure and come out the other side so all the worrying must be worth it. Im determind to give it the best shot i can and make it work. As some one said earlier we only have one life so make the most of it, still im sure i will get a few more butterflys in the tummy untill we are there and living it. thanks Helen
you will be just fine! if you adore your new life - GREAT!! if you return - GREAT!! this whole experience has taught me that I know what is best for our family and what makes us happiest - and its not in the UK. Had we not taken the chance we'd have been miserable od bags forever!!

good luck Helen, and all the family too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.