Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone else notice all the US sailors in Perth?

Anyone else notice all the US sailors in Perth?

Old Aug 15th 2006, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

amanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Anyone else notice all the US sailors in Perth?

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Bulls**t!!!!

Never read so much twaddle in my life!!!

I have WORKED with these people - US Marines, Navy Seals, Airborne.....they are more interested in looking good than being professional!

If the seppo navy win any battle it is always through sheer strength of numbers and firepower, NEVER professionalism and skill!!!!

Grrrrrrr.............can feel that steam coming off the keyboard.

It is though, its just they have a higher proportion of numpties who could do nothing to earn a crust but join the military so they have a huge number. Dont really think they have any skill, intelligence or professionalism about them (just look at the whole computer game attitude in Iraq and the whole 'kill them all, wasnt it great')

Oh whoever mentioned the para's....that kind fo explains a lot, dated one, just couldnt get my head around what planet exactly he came from.....obviously they have their own planet where they are Gods...makes perfect sense. Seeing one have a paddy is better than fireworks night...never seen hissy fits like it.....
Old Aug 15th 2006, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amanda34

Oh whoever mentioned the para's....that kind fo explains a lot, dated one, just couldnt get my head around what planet exactly he came from.....obviously they have their own planet where they are Gods...makes perfect sense. Seeing one have a paddy is better than fireworks night...never seen hissy fits like it.....
They think they're Gods because compared to the rest of the army they are.
It's called esprit de corps. It does go to their heads though.

They have far higher standards so have a right to feel good about it.

Last edited by thatsnotquiteright; Aug 15th 2006 at 10:13 am.
Old Aug 15th 2006, 11:09 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

If the seppo navy win any battle it is always through sheer strength of numbers and firepower, NEVER professionalism and skill!!!!

I don't know if you were/are in the military & what country but when I was in the military, strength in numbers & firepower is the way you want it. This notion of a fair fight is bullshit. You want to completely outnumber, overwhelm & dominate your enemy. This way means that more of them die than you do. Agree skill is important too.

In naval warfare, the US Navy would be unassailable. Technology plays such a big part in naval power & they are way in front.

BTW I have been in combat & know a little bit about what I am saying.
Old Aug 15th 2006, 11:27 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Matelot bastards! (You have to say that with a Cornish accent)

Nothing but trouble the lot of 'em.
Old Aug 15th 2006, 11:55 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just glad they're all off the boat!
Otherwise one of them might jump in their plane and blow my favourite pub to bits because they were only told 17 times not to!!!
Old Aug 15th 2006, 12:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I don't know if you were/are in the military & what country but when I was in the military, strength in numbers & firepower is the way you want it. This notion of a fair fight is bullshit. You want to completely outnumber, overwhelm & dominate your enemy. This way means that more of them die than you do. Agree skill is important too.

In naval warfare, the US Navy would be unassailable. Technology plays such a big part in naval power & they are way in front.

Think in Naval and Air warfare technology superiority is important. When it comes to ground warfare, there is still room for skill and professionalism at the infantry tactical level - right up until a Yank calls in the Giant Vipers. Then they win again.

When it comes to insurgency etc then the professional skilled armies have a chance - look at the Brit SAS in Malaya. There's no way the Yanks could do an Ireland the way the British army does.

Look at tanks though, in the Gulf 1991/2003 the Yanks and the Brits were shooting fish in a barrel.
Old Aug 15th 2006, 12:43 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
Think in Naval and Air warfare technology superiority is important. When it comes to ground warfare, there is still room for skill and professionalism at the infantry tactical level - right up until a Yank calls in the Giant Vipers. Then they win again.

When it comes to insurgency etc then the professional skilled armies have a chance - look at the Brit SAS in Malaya. There's no way the Yanks could do an Ireland the way the British army does.

Look at tanks though, in the Gulf 1991/2003 the Yanks and the Brits were shooting fish in a barrel.
The American doctrine of using massive firepower to defeat an enemy will always win at a tactical & even strategic level. As we know though, the final outcome is always political & at this level the Americans always seem to fail. Hence we see what happened in Vietnam, Iraq etc.

No other nation on earth has the ability to project their power globally like the US does, hence the Kittyhawk. Technology has always won through in naval warfare. Britain ruled the waves in the 19th century because they had bigger & better battleships. The new concept of naval air power won at Pearl Harbour & Midway. The U-boats were defeated by the Royal Navy because of the latest electronic warfare & stand-off weapons. Today the US navy has that technological edge. It does not matter if their people are not the best, they will still win.
Old Aug 15th 2006, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The American doctrine of using massive firepower to defeat an enemy will always win at a tactical & even strategic level. As we know though, the final outcome is always political & at this level the Americans always seem to fail. Hence we see what happened in Vietnam, Iraq etc.

No other nation on earth has the ability to project their power globally like the US does, hence the Kittyhawk. Technology has always won through in naval warfare. Britain ruled the waves in the 19th century because they had bigger & better battleships. The new concept of naval air power won at Pearl Harbour & Midway. The U-boats were defeated by the Royal Navy because of the latest electronic warfare & stand-off weapons. Today the US navy has that technological edge. It does not matter if their people are not the best, they will still win.
Force projection - a nice word.

People used to point at the Russians and how they outnumbered NATO. People used to wonder if the maneovre warfare could outgun the Soviet Divisions. But the first Gulf War pointed to how technology could redress the balance.

And many commanders know that it's not just the troops available to you in a war, it's the force and punch you can amass in key areas to fight that decisive battle. I'm talking non-use of nuclear now! The Yanks can do that.

Wars of Attrition (huge attrition)- do pollies still want to fight these?
Having said that the Soviets would probably fight to the last man - a kind of cultural legacy from WW2 but you wonder if after key decisive battles they would lose the heart with all the infrastructure problems. We'll never know now.

Question now is, how would the Koreans and the Chinks etc go.
Old Aug 15th 2006, 3:42 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
Force projection - a nice word.
Think you'll find that's two words mate.
Old Aug 15th 2006, 4:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Hutch
Think you'll find that's two words mate.
So it is.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 4:50 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Ditto & likewise my friend!!

3rd Battalion, The Parachute Regiment, thats the British Army, in case you were wondering. 8 years served, rank of corporal achieved, service (active by the way) seen in NI x2, Former Yugoslavia x2, Sierra Leone and The Balkans (Macedonia), so yes, I feel that perhaps it is I who am qualified to judge and pass comment!

You say the way to win a battle is to outnumber, overwhelm and dominate your enemy.......yes, that is one way, the American way, however, reminds me of a time I stood toe to toe in a pub with 4 blokes and beat the lot of em up!! Kinda blows your theory apart really!! The way we used to do it in the Parachute Regiment was by using the skills we had been taught and practised a million times and by being PROFESSIONAL!! We could do the job of an entire US battalion, with 10 well trained professional Paras!

Last edited by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer; Aug 17th 2006 at 4:54 am.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by amanda34

That's why I got out in the end....the mentality of the average para is a wonderous thing!

As for the hissy fits, seen a few colourful ones over the years My missus will tell ya
Old Aug 17th 2006, 5:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

That's why I got out in the end....the mentality of the average para is a wonderous thing!

As for the hissy fits, seen a few colourful ones over the years My missus will tell ya
I use to work in a Pub in Aldershot, that belonged to Two Para, full of stuff brought back from the Faulklands, wild Boy's alright, but I loved working there
Old Aug 17th 2006, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by britvic
I use to work in a Pub in Aldershot, that belonged to Two Para, full of stuff brought back from the Faulklands, wild Boy's alright, but I loved working there
Blimey, that was brave of you!!!
Dare I ask which one? Sounds like it could have been 'The Fives'? The more classier of the para pubs in Aldershit! They used to drop their beer bottles on the floor without throwing it at the wall (or someones head) to smash it first (memories of the 'Rat Pit' come flooding back)!!!
Old Aug 17th 2006, 5:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey, that was brave of you!!!
Dare I ask which one? Sounds like it could have been 'The Fives'? The more classier of the para pubs in Aldershit! They used to drop their beer bottles on the floor without throwing it at the wall (or someones head) to smash it first (memories of the 'Rat Pit' come flooding back)!!!
It Was the Trafalgar in the Town center long ago in 83, was part of my training at the time, LOL use to hear all sorts about the Rat Pit, but nice young Lady's did not go there Still it's nice to meet ya, alot of respect for those Paras

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.