Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone else having problems finding work on 457?

Anyone else having problems finding work on 457?

Old Oct 14th 2008, 2:59 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone else having problems finding work on 457?

Originally Posted by Lookin2Oz
Depends on what kind of executive bonuses you are expecting

Sorry couldn’t resist
with the way the finance sector is performing at the moment, I wouldn't hold his breath
Old Oct 14th 2008, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MTPockets
Hi Mikey,

I'm currently looking for a position in banking/finance. Is there any chance I could send you a copy of my resume re. layout/format. I wouldn't expect any specific feedback about experience/position nor for you to pass it one to anybody else. But a general perspective from somebody who actually works in the banking industry in Sydney would be great.

No worries if you'd rather not.

Jason
Sent you a PM.

Mikey
Old Oct 14th 2008, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
with the way the finance sector is performing at the moment, I wouldn't hold his breath
Depends on the position though. Financial Institutions are still looking for people across the board on all levels, and some.... are being let go.

Mikey
Old Oct 14th 2008, 3:08 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeyc
Depends on the position though. Financial Institutions are still looking for people across the board on all levels, and some.... are being let go.

Mikey
It sure aint a picnic in finance at the mo tho and once the dust has settled heads will roll for this

Good luck in your case
Old Oct 14th 2008, 3:35 am

MTPockets is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
It sure aint a picnic in finance at the mo tho and once the dust has settled heads will roll for this

Good luck in your case
Thanks. All your points are fair and I know the timing could be a great deal better. I'm also not sure the title 'derivatives trader' on my resume is helping much either (not at all the sort of 'derivatives' or 'executive bonuses' making headlines by the way, although I know I won't get much sympathy)...

Mikey - replied to your pm
Old Oct 14th 2008, 3:53 am

Thanks. All your points are fair and I know the timing could be a great deal better. I'm also not sure the title 'derivatives trader' on my resume is helping much either (not at all the sort of 'derivatives' or 'executive bonuses' making headlines by the way, although I know I won't get much sympathy)...

Unless you're one of the policy makers in banking, you're just like the rest of us i.e a small fish in a big sea. The current situ is born out of bad banking practices and even worse policies that got us all where we are today. It's not your fault...

Good luck with the job hunting and all the very best
Old Oct 14th 2008, 4:51 am
Banned

Lookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to all

just my POMMIE ( Scottish ) S O H

Good luck & no harm ment
Old Oct 14th 2008, 5:08 am

MTPockets is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lookin2Oz
just my POMMIE ( Scottish ) S O H

Good luck & no harm ment
Thanks and don't worry - I'd take the p!ss too if I were you. Good luck with whatever you're up to
Old Oct 14th 2008, 7:53 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
They don't "think" it - it happens to be the truth if you are a secondary 457 holder. An employer is naturally going to be reluctant to offer a permanent post to someone who could be forced to leave Australia within 28 days if the spouse gets fired, sick etc.

Can this employer sponsor for permanent residence? Just because you are a secondary 457 holder doesn't stop you going for ENS yourself if otherwise eligible. So you can start work on the 457 and simultaneously kick-off an ENS application to stay. All assumes you are ENS/RSMS eligible of course.
Yes it is the truth but TBH, if The Geek loses his job we'll have far more to worry about than mine. I'm a few days short of 46 and not a graduate so I really do depend on him. (My best career move to date, marrying an intellectual ten years younger than me.)

Originally Posted by quoll
Good luck with that!

Both the DH and I work in the charity sector and the slow down of donations has been mindblowing. His job has gone and mine is tenuous. Philanthropy is not a favoured option at the moment methinks. Good luck though!
Hey quoll I just noticed earlier that you said you were in this sector. TBH, I need something to make me get out of bed on a morning, having had nearly seven years of almost constant leisure. I've done some voluntary work after 20 years of working in commerce and I'd like to continue doing something that feeds my soul rather than somebody else's bank balance, but I know it might be easier said than done. Worth a try before I sell out again, though.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

when we came over on my 457 visa, my hubby went to temp agencies. He worked in reinsurance in City of London, and ended up processing motor claims here.
Still his 2 week assignment became an 18month assignment, and after that it was OK as he had Aus experience

He is now training as a plumber!
Old Oct 14th 2008, 11:11 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
I'm about to start job-hunting and I'm the trailing spouse on a 457 too. I'm finalising my CV, and have so far put:
  • British Citizen
  • Eligible to work in Australia
  • Singapore Permanent Resident

- what do you guys think of that as a term? Ta.
Get rid of it all. Recruitment agencies don't care if you are a British citizen, Singapore resident or eligible to work in Australia. If they want to know the answers to those questions they will ask you in the interview.
Well a lot of you are talking about what you are putting on your CV, maybe that is the problem... in Australia we don’t use CV’s, it’s a resume!

Secondly, make sure your Resume is done to the Australian format, with your employment history and qualifications in the right place.

Don’t put down that you are a British Citizen, perm resident of another country etc, no one cares and it just makes you look like you are going to be a hassle.

Just dont put down any citizenship/work right’s at all (you don’t normally put that on a resume anyway) as when you get called for you interview they ask “have you the right to work in Australia” and that is when you answer “Yes”

If you really want to put something on your resume, then just say, “Eligible to work in Australia”

Oh and PS: never put on your resume “references available upon request” it goes straight into the bin, have you’re references listed (don’t worry they can’t call without asking first). And never put a picture of yourself on it (seen this done a lot in the UK), it looks odd and tacky.

Mikey
Agree with everything you say here, Mikey. Although I wouldn't even bother to say you are eligible to work in Australia. If an employer wants to know they will ask.

When I worked at the recruitment agency in Adelaide we did a large intake for Centrelink. When applications came in the first question we asked potential interviewees was "are you eligible to work for Centrlink? Are you a citizen or are you eligible to apply for citizenship?" When I got my job with the hospital here in WA they asked me in the interview what my immigration status here was...PR, TR or citizen.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

I disagree. I work in HR and see a lot of CVs on my desk every day. If a person only has foreign experience, I particularly want to see on their CV that they have the right to work in Australia. We have a lot of people who apply for jobs who don't have the right and whilst we will sponsor some, they have to be very good. I will make that call there and then as to whether I have the time to spare to find out if you have the right to work in Australia or not and I will usually only bother to do this if I think there is a good chance we will sponsor you if you don't. If you are one of many, your CV is more likely to find the bin as it creates extra work for me.

And as for calling CVs Resumes in Australia, both terms are used as frequently as the other. I'd probably actually say at a push that CV is more commonly used.

As per a previous poster, I agree, don't bother putting citizenship of other countries on. It makes no odds to me and just distracts me from reading the information about your skills and experience that you want me to read to get you the job.

Good luck job hunters!
Old Oct 14th 2008, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sparkley23
I disagree. I work in HR and see a lot of CVs on my desk every day. If a person only has foreign experience, I particularly want to see on their CV that they have the right to work in Australia. We have a lot of people who apply for jobs who don't have the right and whilst we will sponsor some, they have to be very good. I will make that call there and then as to whether I have the time to spare to find out if you have the right to work in Australia or not and I will usually only bother to do this if I think there is a good chance we will sponsor you if you don't. If you are one of many, your CV is more likely to find the bin as it creates extra work for me.
But when applying for a job in Australia, it is assumed you are allowed to work it (otherwise why would you be applying), so no need to state you are allowed to work here.

If you are applying and don’t have permission to work here and want a sponsor, that information would be stated in your covering letter to the company (You don't type on your resume that you are looking to be sponsored).

No need to put your visa status on your resume, if you want to talk about that then it should also be in the cover letter. As Dorthy stated also, they always ask you that anyway at the interview or when they call, that’s when you tell them.

Mikey
Old Oct 14th 2008, 2:20 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

For info for those not here yet - many jobs here, especially government ones, have their own cover sheet which they wish to have included in the application. As well as basic information about name, address etc, they also include the question "Do you have the right to work in Australia?" or "What is your status in Australia, citizen, PR, temporary resident". If they have that sheet then you should make sure you answer it honestly, as often its asked when there are restrictions on the position - only open to citizens, for example.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 9:09 am
Mikey82

Mike82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well a lot of you are talking about what you are putting on your CV, maybe that is the problem... in Australia we don’t use CV’s, it’s a resume!

Secondly, make sure your Resume is done to the Australian format, with your employment history and qualifications in the right place.

Don’t put down that you are a British Citizen, perm resident of another country etc, no one cares and it just makes you look like you are going to be a hassle.

Just dont put down any citizenship/work right’s at all (you don’t normally put that on a resume anyway) as when you get called for you interview they ask “have you the right to work in Australia” and that is when you answer “Yes”

If you really want to put something on your resume, then just say, “Eligible to work in Australia”

Oh and PS: never put on your resume “references available upon request” it goes straight into the bin, have you’re references listed (don’t worry they can’t call without asking first). And never put a picture of yourself on it (seen this done a lot in the UK), it looks odd and tacky.

Mikey
Hi Mikey

My oh is looking for positions within banking...... would you mind if she PM with resume and you could comment on whats good or bad with it, would really appreciate your thoughts. Or can you PM me with the australian format for a resume?

Claire (my oh) is beginning to get a bit concerned now after reading this thread, as she was hoping to be set up with an interview or at least have had some telephone interviews and feedback from the applications she has made prior to us leaving in Jabuary for Brisbane. I know January long time away but Claire really wants to be working quite soon after we arrive to help her settle into our new life>

Any thoughts appreciated!

Mike