Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone else having problems finding work on 457?

Anyone else having problems finding work on 457?

Old Oct 13th 2008, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

jobseeker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone else having problems finding work on 457?

I was wondering if it is just me facing the problem of finding permanent work while on a 457 visa? I am so frustrated by the amount of agencies not even forwarding my CV, because I am not on a permanent visa.

Anyone else experiencing the same problem or can recommend a good agency for Marketing jobs in Sydney?
Old Oct 13th 2008, 11:12 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone else having problems finding work on 457?

Originally Posted by jobseeker
I was wondering if it is just me facing the problem of finding permanent work while on a 457 visa? I am so frustrated by the amount of agencies not even forwarding my CV, because I am not on a permanent visa.

Anyone else experiencing the same problem or can recommend a good agency for Marketing jobs in Sydney?
If you are on a 457 visa you are tied to your employer (sponsor)....you can't simply change jobs.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 11:16 pm
Just Joined

I am on the 457 partner visa. It's my partner, who is tied to his job. Theoretically I am eligible to work for anyone and anywhere for the next four years.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 11:17 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I am on the 457 partner visa. It's my partner, who is tied to his job. Theoretically I am eligible to work for anyone and anywhere for the next four years.
OK....makes sense now.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 11:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Change the wording on your CV to: I have full working rights in Australia

and give that a try - you can explain in more detail if/when needed then
Old Oct 13th 2008, 11:24 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy

I think the phrase I always used on my CV while still on a provisional partner visa was 'Australian Resident - No work limitation'. And I was never questioned on it....only after offers had been made, they might ask for a copy of the visa label for their records.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

manwinoname is an unknown quantity at this point

My OH is the one who got the 457 sponsorship and I too am struggling to get in front of people, with only two interviews in over three months. I didn't get the first one as they found a more " culturally suited " candidate and the second one was last Friday so still waiting to hear.
It may well be my resume or covering letter that's not quite hitting the mark but I did challenge one agency who rejected me in that "other candidates were a closer match" and my resume, almost verbatim mirrored the job spec :curse:
There are a number of jobs that I haven't effectively followed through, but I have badgered agencies ( who fob you off and haven't got the balls to say beat it ) about positions I felt I could genuinely fill, but to no avail.
We have started the ball rolling with permanent residency as the hospital are now sponsoring my OH, so I will be letting all & sundry know it's underway and hopefully I will see the benefit and get a career up & running again !!
Cheers
Steve
Old Oct 13th 2008, 11:47 pm
Just Joined

Hi Steve, same here! I only tend to apply for jobs that are a 100% match between the job spec and my skills and still no success. Very frustrating!

How long do you need to wait for PR?
Old Oct 13th 2008, 11:48 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I'm about to start job-hunting and I'm the trailing spouse on a 457 too. I'm finalising my CV, and have so far put:
  • British Citizen
  • Eligible to work in Australia
  • Singapore Permanent Resident

- what do you guys think of that as a term? Ta.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

manwinoname is an unknown quantity at this point

The hospital where my OH works help routinely anyone who wants to go for it after they have successfully completed three months in their unit but I know this isn't the case for every employer. Has your OH asked about it from his employer yet?
Cheers
steve
Old Oct 13th 2008, 11:56 pm
Just Joined

He is about to ask for PR. Not too sure whether this will make me more popular with the agencies, since "you have no Australian job experience" is also a favourite as to why my CV isn't being put forward.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy

My wife originally put on her resume something like 'Spouse of 457 visa holder with no work restrictions'.

It defo put some employers off as they don't understand what it means.

So later she took the visa status off her resume altogether and she appeared to get a lot more interest from employers.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:04 am

MTPockets is an unknown quantity at this point

I think a lot of it is just a function of the job market at the mo. I have PR and having the same problems, although this is in financial markets so appreciate the problem is exacerbated by current turmoil. Very frustrating isn't it. Good luck
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

He is about to ask for PR. Not too sure whether this will make me more popular with the agencies, since "you have no Australian job experience" is also a favourite as to why my CV isn't being put forward.
Yep, I found that too. It took me a good 4 months and 100's of applications to get past interview stage. You just have to perseve, hopefully something will come along soon for you (I have PR by the way, so it's not just the visa thing)

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
My wife originally put on her resume something like 'Spouse of 457 visa holder with no work restrictions'.

It defo put some employers off as they don't understand what it means.

So later she took the visa status off her resume altogether and she appeared to get a lot more interest from employers.

Yes, could do that too. I have it on mine because I applied mostly to agencies, and they always asked me to add it in so I ended up just putting it on there anyway.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:08 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

It's not a good time to be looking, for sure - too much uncertainty. I know quite a few companies have put freezes on hiring, travel, etc.

I'm starting my search with non-profiit organisations, and I know they depend on the generosity of others, so may also be tough.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.