Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone else having problems finding work on 457?

Anyone else having problems finding work on 457?

Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

manwinoname is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone else having problems finding work on 457?

Originally Posted by jobseeker
He is about to ask for PR. Not too sure whether this will make me more popular with the agencies, since "you have no Australian job experience" is also a favourite as to why my CV isn't being put forward.
Yep, one of my biggest drawbacks is that I worked in transport management for 17 years in the UK and " local knowledge " is what I lack, and only time will overcome that one, in the eyes of an agency consultant
Keep plodding away as eventually your CV will land on the desk of someone who can see the bigger picture and that experience gained elsewhere might benefit them. That's what I keep telling myself anyway
Cheers :Beer:
Steve
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Well a lot of you are talking about what you are putting on your CV, maybe that is the problem... in Australia we don’t use CV’s, it’s a resume!

Secondly, make sure your Resume is done to the Australian format, with your employment history and qualifications in the right place.

Don’t put down that you are a British Citizen, perm resident of another country etc, no one cares and it just makes you look like you are going to be a hassle.

Just dont put down any citizenship/work right’s at all (you don’t normally put that on a resume anyway) as when you get called for you interview they ask “have you the right to work in Australia” and that is when you answer “Yes”

If you really want to put something on your resume, then just say, “Eligible to work in Australia”

Oh and PS: never put on your resume “references available upon request” it goes straight into the bin, have you’re references listed (don’t worry they can’t call without asking first). And never put a picture of yourself on it (seen this done a lot in the UK), it looks odd and tacky.

Mikey

Last edited by Mikeyc; Oct 14th 2008 at 12:20 am.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:24 am

MTPockets is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mikeyc
Well a lot of you are talking about what you are putting on your CV, maybe that is the problem... in Australia we don’t use CV’s, it’s a resume!

Secondly, make sure your Resume is done to the Australian format, with your employment history and qualifications in the right place.

Don’t put down that you are a British Citizen, perm resident of another country etc, no one cares and it just makes you look like you are going to be a hassle.

Just dont put down any citizenship/work right’s at all (you don’t normally put that on a resume anyway) as when you get called for you interview they ask “have you the right to work in Australia” and that is when you answer “Yes”

If you really want to put something on your resume, then just say, “Eligible to work in Australia”

Oh and PS: never put on your resume “references available upon request” it goes straight into the bin, have you’re references listed (don’t worry they can’t call without asking first). And never put a picture of yourself on it (seen this done a lot in the UK), it looks odd and tacky.

Mikey
Hi Mikey,

Your comments - is this the norm across all industries? I was told to put down something about Oz residency (as uni, experience etc all states uk so may put people off) and 'references available on request' (they'll ask if they want them) by an agent, but if the vast majority of actual emplyers think otherwise I'll change it. Appreciate your input.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:33 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

You're right about having to tailor a CV/resume to local conventions, but I have never put anything about references on mine and will resist doing so now.

Job ads often stress the need for eligibility, so I would think it's natural to put it on. All my experience is UK/Sg.

(Re. local convention - photos are usually asked for in Singapore; it's a very shallow society. I would never put one on, even though I am of course drop-dead gorgeous. I would not want a job that considered looks part of the criteria. In the UK I was put off recruiting anyone who put a photo on their application.)
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:38 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and PS: never put on your resume “references available upon request” it goes straight into the bin,
why the heck would someone put a resume straight in the bin just because of this? Surely with the alledged skills shortage this is stupid

Also, you might just be throwing away your ideal candidate
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:44 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

One reservation any potential employer may have is the fact that your ability to stay in Oz is at the whim of another company (your OH's sponsor).
If they decide to cancel the 457 (no work, etc) then you BOTH have to leave the country within 28 days unless you can find an alternative sponsor.
They may consider this a risk they do not need to take when they look at other candidates who can stay in Oz permanently.
Good luck with everything.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:47 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

You're right, Steve - that was a problem in Singapore until we got our PR (which, even then, is not Permanent). Employers think you are at the mercy of your spouse's career, which of course I am as he is worth more than me.

I wouldn't put 457 on an application but of course would be honest if asked to clarify; then I would state we are applying for PR and plan to stay here.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 1:07 am
Banned

Lookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by manwinoname
My OH is the one who got the 457 sponsorship and I too am struggling to get in front of people, with only two interviews in over three months. I didn't get the first one as they found a more " culturally suited " candidate and the second one was last Friday so still waiting to hear.
It may well be my resume or covering letter that's not quite hitting the mark but I did challenge one agency who rejected me in that "other candidates were a closer match" and my resume, almost verbatim mirrored the job spec :curse:
There are a number of jobs that I haven't effectively followed through, but I have badgered agencies ( who fob you off and haven't got the balls to say beat it ) about positions I felt I could genuinely fill, but to no avail.
We have started the ball rolling with permanent residency as the hospital are now sponsoring my OH, so I will be letting all & sundry know it's underway and hopefully I will see the benefit and get a career up & running again !!
Cheers
Steve

If the NZ agencies are anything to go by they are a waste of time – full stop.

I have been looking for a change / a job for last six months and not 1 agency that has previously had my CV ever contacted me to say they have a new role for me so it is totally up to you to watch out for roles they advertise.

I must also say that a lot of the ‘consultants” that have interviewed me seemed like they had one years office experience and decided to move into recruitment and ave no idea about management or people skills let alone recruitment. I put it down to the lazy NZ attitude and the fact that Kiwis do prefer Kiwis. I guess they don’t get challenged that way and can continue to do the same old.

I must admit that this is one of the things that scares me about Australia as I have had a gut full of it here.

Here in NZ they play a whole smoke & mirror thing and the whole process can be really frustration when you don’t have indications of salaries etc. That it itself I find very backward, time-wasting and having the outlook that the company intend to recruit on – cheapest is best.

Anyways, good luck and keep pushing forward
Old Oct 14th 2008, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

The best thing around your situation would be to identify companies that you would like to work for and submit to them direct. Do not blindly submit your resume, but take the opportunity to call their HR department and have a chat with someone as that would give you a chance to sell yourself. Ask them if they ever need temps as that may be a way of getting in and getting local experience.

Agencies worldwide are the same tossers. None of them care about you, all your are to them is commission and they can get the same commission from any of a 100 candidates. However, if you have some special skill the occasion will arise when they need you at which time they will be all over you like a bad rash.

Also don't forget to network. Mention to everyone you know that you are looking for work. You never know who knows someone who is looking.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
why the heck would someone put a resume straight in the bin just because of this? Surely with the alledged skills shortage this is stupid

Also, you might just be throwing away your ideal candidate
Oh I agree 100%, but that’s the way it is sometimes.

I’m in the Banking and Finance area. Any resume that came in with “Reference’s available upon request” went straight out. The same with ones that are not set out correctly, they receive too many every day, so can be as picky as that.

My bank see’s it as if you won’t name your references then you have something to hide (dumb, I know).

Regards to putting residency down, while it makes sense, you have to remember that most Australians (no offence) haven’t got a clue about Visa’s, Citizenship or residency. So many times did I turn up to an Interview or agency with my Australian passport showing I am an Australian Citizen and was still asked what my conditions are and where was my Visa – idiots. So I quickly learnt that mentioning anything about citizenship/visa just confuses them.

The fact that a job states you must be able to work in Australia and the fact that you applied knowing that, tells the employer that you CAN work in Australia, so no need to state it on the Resume.

Again, each company and industry is a bit different, also a lot of agencies are not that fussed about your resume as they put it in their own format to send to employer.

Mikey
Old Oct 14th 2008, 2:00 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
You're right, Steve - that was a problem in Singapore until we got our PR (which, even then, is not Permanent). [/b]Employers think you are at the mercy of your spouse's career[/b], which of course I am as he is worth more than me.

I wouldn't put 457 on an application but of course would be honest if asked to clarify; then I would state we are applying for PR and plan to stay here.
They don't "think" it - it happens to be the truth if you are a secondary 457 holder. An employer is naturally going to be reluctant to offer a permanent post to someone who could be forced to leave Australia within 28 days if the spouse gets fired, sick etc.

Can this employer sponsor for permanent residence? Just because you are a secondary 457 holder doesn't stop you going for ENS yourself if otherwise eligible. So you can start work on the 457 and simultaneously kick-off an ENS application to stay. All assumes you are ENS/RSMS eligible of course.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 2:02 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

....... also a lot of agencies are not that fussed about your resume as they put it in their own format to send to employer.

Mikey
That's what I find the most frustrating i.e. that every agency wants to see a resume in their own preferred style. This means nearly every one of them tells you to do it their own way, and if you use a particular recommended template for the next recruitment agent, they tell you it's crap:curse:

Jeez.....it's a bloody circus out there
Old Oct 14th 2008, 2:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
It's not a good time to be looking, for sure - too much uncertainty. I know quite a few companies have put freezes on hiring, travel, etc.

I'm starting my search with non-profiit organisations, and I know they depend on the generosity of others, so may also be tough.
Good luck with that!

Both the DH and I work in the charity sector and the slow down of donations has been mindblowing. His job has gone and mine is tenuous. Philanthropy is not a favoured option at the moment methinks. Good luck though!
Old Oct 14th 2008, 2:50 am

MTPockets is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh I agree 100%, but that’s the way it is sometimes.

I’m in the Banking and Finance area. Any resume that came in with “Reference’s available upon request” went straight out. The same with ones that are not set out correctly, they receive too many every day, so can be as picky as that.

My bank see’s it as if you won’t name your references then you have something to hide (dumb, I know).

Regards to putting residency down, while it makes sense, you have to remember that most Australians (no offence) haven’t got a clue about Visa’s, Citizenship or residency. So many times did I turn up to an Interview or agency with my Australian passport showing I am an Australian Citizen and was still asked what my conditions are and where was my Visa – idiots. So I quickly learnt that mentioning anything about citizenship/visa just confuses them.

The fact that a job states you must be able to work in Australia and the fact that you applied knowing that, tells the employer that you CAN work in Australia, so no need to state it on the Resume.

Again, each company and industry is a bit different, also a lot of agencies are not that fussed about your resume as they put it in their own format to send to employer.

Mikey

Hi Mikey,

I'm currently looking for a position in banking/finance. Is there any chance I could send you a copy of my resume re. layout/format. I wouldn't expect any specific feedback about experience/position nor for you to pass it one to anybody else. But a general perspective from somebody who actually works in the banking industry in Sydney would be great.

No worries if you'd rather not.

Jason
Old Oct 14th 2008, 2:58 am
Banned

Lookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MTPockets
Hi Mikey,

I'm currently looking for a position in banking/finance. Is there any chance I could send you a copy of my resume re. layout/format. I wouldn't expect any specific feedback about experience/position nor for you to pass it one to anybody else. But a general perspective from somebody who actually works in the banking industry in Sydney would be great.

No worries if you'd rather not.

Jason

Depends on what kind of executive bonuses you are expecting

Sorry couldn’t resist

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.