Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

anyone else had trouble getting their rental bond back?

anyone else had trouble getting their rental bond back?

Old Nov 6th 2007, 8:33 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone else had trouble getting their rental bond back?

Originally Posted by renth
Sadly the real estate people usually treat renters like scum. They are a shocking bunch.

Little tip for people planning to rent privately - don't ever, ever rent from an Italian, Greek or indeed any Mediterranean types, they are absolutely notorious fro treating people like shit.
The Bloke had one of that breed when I first arrived - refused to do any maintenance - until the fuse box caught fire and nearly burnt the house down, the Energex threatened to cut his supply off. He wanted the place spotless when he'd nto done anything for the Bloke during the 11 years he lived there. He refused to give receipts, and wanted the rent in cash in an envelope each week. Also used to wander in and poke round the house whenever he liked!

The last place we had, the agents were the problem. The owners finally wanted to demolish the house so told us not to bother cleaning too much, but it took 2 weeks of yelling phone calls for them to get it through to the agents that there was no point shampooing a carpet that was going to the dump!
Old Nov 6th 2007, 8:45 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The Bloke had one of that breed when I first arrived - refused to do any maintenance - until the fuse box caught fire and nearly burnt the house down, the Energex threatened to cut his supply off. He wanted the place spotless when he'd nto done anything for the Bloke during the 11 years he lived there. He refused to give receipts, and wanted the rent in cash in an envelope each week. Also used to wander in and poke round the house whenever he liked!

The last place we had, the agents were the problem. The owners finally wanted to demolish the house so told us not to bother cleaning too much, but it took 2 weeks of yelling phone calls for them to get it through to the agents that there was no point shampooing a carpet that was going to the dump!
Thats ridiculous huh....

bearing in mind the small margins rental management is in australia, compared to uk...

you have to beg the question, why are they so anal !?
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:28 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Thats ridiculous huh....

bearing in mind the small margins rental management is in australia, compared to uk...

you have to beg the question, why are they so anal !?
Crazy isn't it. The agents knew the house was being knocked down, but they wanted it spotless, carpets shampooed, all the usual rubbish. They got really snotty when they found out that the owners were talking to us themselves and had told us that they only wanted minimal work done, and seemed incapable of realising that if the owners were taking the house back and it wasn't being re-let, then it was up to THEM to say what state they wanted it in Agents really do seem to think they are God over here - I thought the UK ones were bad, but this lot are far worse.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:30 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Crazy isn't it. The agents knew the house was being knocked down, but they wanted it spotless, carpets shampooed, all the usual rubbish. They got really snotty when they found out that the owners were talking to us themselves and had told us that they only wanted minimal work done, and seemed incapable of realising that if the owners were taking the house back and it wasn't being re-let, then it was up to THEM to say what state they wanted it in Agents really do seem to think they are God over here - I thought the UK ones were bad, but this lot are far worse.
is that the house, you mentioned a cpl of weeks ago, with all the good wood thrown outside after demolition ( book cases ) ???
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
So I took photos of everything on my list, made two CD-ROMS and took them to the agents. I got him to stamp two copies of the report and the two CD's - now he's got a set and so have we.
That is such a good idea.

Does anyone know how the contracts work in Oz? In the uk I have had two and they both said the landlord had to give at least 24 hours notice before coming onto the property. I really don't want people just turning up, I don't even like friends just turning up. If it is my home it is my home.

We also had problems with our first landlord saying everything was dusty, even though it took them FOUR WEEKS to do their report after we moved out. We ended up threatening them with court action before we got most of the deposit back, months later.
The second landlord we just didn't give them any rent for the last month, which they never complained about. I did also give them a HUGE list of all the things which would need fixing (leaky radiators, electric shower etc), so maybe that had something to do with it?

You all have me panicking now.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:50 pm
Home and Happy

is that the house, you mentioned a cpl of weeks ago, with all the good wood thrown outside after demolition ( book cases ) ???
Thats the one, really sad as it was a beautiful solid house. I just don't understand this aspect of Australian thinking - I was talking to the landlady from there two days ago and she was telling me how it was such a shame it had been demolished, and it broke her heart to knock down such a lovely house......so I'm thinking - why do it then?! Leave it standing and either live in it or sell it!
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:54 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
That is such a good idea.

Does anyone know how the contracts work in Oz? In the uk I have had two and they both said the landlord had to give at least 24 hours notice before coming onto the property. I really don't want people just turning up, I don't even like friends just turning up. If it is my home it is my home.

We also had problems with our first landlord saying everything was dusty, even though it took them FOUR WEEKS to do their report after we moved out. We ended up threatening them with court action before we got most of the deposit back, months later.
The second landlord we just didn't give them any rent for the last month, which they never complained about. I did also give them a HUGE list of all the things which would need fixing (leaky radiators, electric shower etc), so maybe that had something to do with it?

You all have me panicking now.
Certainly in Qld they have to by law give you 24 hours notice, at least, in writing, before turning up. There's a proper form for it and if they don't use it you report them to the RTA. Same with tradespeople coming to do work at the agents/owners request, anything like that. Otherwise you can legitimately refuse them entry.
That was part of my issue with that firat dodgy landlord - the Bloke had no bond and no contract and so no leg to stand on, hence Mr Dodgy could - and did - just wander in whenever he felt like it! I finally blew my top and insisted we move after I was in bed sick with shingles, in too much pain to even move, and he had calmly let himself in while the Bloke was at work, and was wandering around the unit
Old Nov 7th 2007, 12:35 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

well drove into town this morning got the keys and i'm fecked if I know where all this dust on the windowsill is?? I've recleaned it anyway but it just confirms that they are being petty. I then drove back to town with the keys and she has just contacted me to say shes just been and redone the inspection everything is now fine! and cheque for bond will be sent in next 3 days.

like I say the rental is about 5 doors away from us she could have just met me there saving me petrol both friggin ways :curse:
Old Nov 7th 2007, 12:37 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Demeter
well drove into town this morning got the keys and i'm fecked if I know where all this dust on the windowsill is?? I've recleaned it anyway but it just confirms that they are being petty. I then drove back to town with the keys and she has just contacted me to say shes just been and redone the inspection everything is now fine! and cheque for bond will be sent in next 3 days.

like I say the rental is about 5 doors away from us she could have just met me there saving me petrol both friggin ways :curse:
JOBSWORTHS !
Old Nov 7th 2007, 12:38 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

JOBSWORTHS !

ARSES is the word I prefer
Old Nov 7th 2007, 12:53 am
Just Joined

nerysann is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Demeter
I just cant believe how petty the rental agents are being.

spent days cleaning the friggin rental we had, handed the keys in last week.

now the real estate has contacted me to say the windowsill in the main bedroom is a bit dusty! I have to go get the keys from town clean it then take em back or they will arrange for a professional cleaner to come in and take the fee off the bond. FFS

I wouldnt mind but we have bought a house 5 doors up from it, I was at home the day she did the inspection but instead of contacting me then and there to give me the keys she went back to the office and rang me.

I might add that when we moved in it was bloody filthy, had a carpet of dead insects in all of the wardrobes and kitchen cupboards.

Here's a good idea - google the name of your landlord if you're renting privately. we did and it came up with - "Serial offending landlord found guilty" and he had pleaded giulty to 18 offences against him! mainly for nt returning bond money.we did not have any problems with him though.

Go on to the Docep website to get some info on what your rights are. Your landlord by law has to eithert lodge your bond money with Docep or place it in a separate trust account. You will get a receipt of this in the post after about a week or two
I hope this helps!
Old Nov 7th 2007, 1:04 am
Banned

Originally Posted by nerysann
Here's a good idea - google the name of your landlord if you're renting privately. we did and it came up with - "Serial offending landlord found guilty" and he had pleaded giulty to 18 offences against him! mainly for nt returning bond money.we did not have any problems with him though.

Go on to the Docep website to get some info on what your rights are. Your landlord by law has to eithert lodge your bond money with Docep or place it in a separate trust account. You will get a receipt of this in the post after about a week or two
I hope this helps!
NOW !!!!

in 2004 we had offer on house from American Evangelist couple setting up a church in westwood heath coventry,,,

That was October 2004....

MARCH 2005 they still pissing us about...

Turns out, both Illegal Migrants..

So i googled them !!!

Got home address the lot...

So emailed a mate of mine, bank transferred him $200 quid , got him to get a farmer to go to their house.. and he went round and dumped 5 ton of COW MANURE on the front of their drive

Soon after that I had a letter from their lawyer, stating that they knew it was me.. pmsl

I kinda didnt do anything else lol
Old Nov 7th 2007, 1:06 am
Just Joined

nerysann is an unknown quantity at this point

NOW !!!!

in 2004 we had offer on house from American Evangelist couple setting up a church in westwood heath coventry,,,

So i googled them !!!

So emailed a mate of mine, bank transferred him $200 quid , got him to get a farmer to go to their house.. and he went round and dumped 5 ton of COW MANURE on the front of their drive

Soon after that I had a letter from their lawyer, stating that they knew it was me.. pmsl

oops! ok, careful on the googling!!!!
funny though
Old Nov 7th 2007, 4:39 am
(^v^)

I hope this helps!
good idea ours was through a real estate agent though

NOW !!!!

So i googled them !!!

you should have said it was an act of god

oops! ok, careful on the googling!!!!
funny though
PMSL
Old Nov 7th 2007, 6:46 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Just a tip from us - we were really careful on the entry inspection wrote down lots of extra probs like small scuffs etc. However the exit requirements mention additional items that need to be cleaned and I know were not done when we moved in. So get a copy of the exit letter before you move in just in case.

To be honest our agent is OK but to save hassle we paid out for the agency recommended cleaners and they have done a really excellent thorough job. Sadly they cleaned the garage door mechanism so well it doesn't work now!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.