Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

anyone else had trouble getting their rental bond back?

anyone else had trouble getting their rental bond back?

Old Nov 5th 2007, 9:31 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute
Angry anyone else had trouble getting their rental bond back?

I just cant believe how petty the rental agents are being.

spent days cleaning the friggin rental we had, handed the keys in last week.

now the real estate has contacted me to say the windowsill in the main bedroom is a bit dusty! I have to go get the keys from town clean it then take em back or they will arrange for a professional cleaner to come in and take the fee off the bond. FFS

I wouldnt mind but we have bought a house 5 doors up from it, I was at home the day she did the inspection but instead of contacting me then and there to give me the keys she went back to the office and rang me.

I might add that when we moved in it was bloody filthy, had a carpet of dead insects in all of the wardrobes and kitchen cupboards.

Old Nov 5th 2007, 9:36 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone else had trouble getting their rental bond back?

Originally Posted by Demeter

now the real estate has contacted me to say the windowsill in the main bedroom is a bit dusty! I have to go get the keys from town clean it then take em back or they will arrange for a professional cleaner to come in and take the fee off the bond. FFS

I wouldnt mind but we have bought a house 5 doors up from it, I was at home the day she did the inspection but instead of contacting me then and there to give me the keys she went back to the office and rang me.

I might add that when we moved in it was bloody filthy, had a carpet of dead insects in all of the wardrobes and kitchen cupboards.

when you moved in you would have been given a pre rental inspection report.
Surely if it was dirty at that time, this would be noted, along with broken items.
If it wasnt, perhaps, you should have mentioned it to the crappy agent at the time !

if they didnt give you a pre rental inspection sheet, which i think you need to sign and return within so many days, doesnt that contravene rental law
Old Nov 5th 2007, 9:50 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Surely if it was dirty at that time, this would be noted, along with broken items.
If it wasnt, perhaps, you should have mentioned it to the crappy agent at the time !

if they didnt give you a pre rental inspection sheet, which i think you need to sign and return within so many days, doesnt that contravene rental law
Oh I did mate, when we signed up I said to the real estate I want all the cupboards/wardrobes cleaning before we move in they said ok, but on the day we moved they hadnt been done. What were we to do? we had all our stuff arriving from the shipping the following day so I just friggin cleaned it.

I also noted it on the pre rental inspection sheet.

from the day we moved in, the downstairs toilet didnt work, the kitchen sink leaked as did the washing machine tap the owners just flatley refused to fix them.

they are pissed at us because we didnt buy it, its been on the market for 4 yrs and they knew we were in the market for buying, instead we've bought privately and I know thats peed em off.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 10:20 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh I did mate, when we signed up I said to the real estate I want all the cupboards/wardrobes cleaning before we move in they said ok, but on the day we moved they hadnt been done. What were we to do? we had all our stuff arriving from the shipping the following day so I just friggin cleaned it.

from the day we moved in, the downstairs toilet didnt work, the kitchen sink leaked as did the washing machine tap the owners just flatley refused to fix them.

they are pissed at us because we didnt buy it, its been on the market for 4 yrs and they knew we were in the market for buying, instead we've bought privately and I know thats peed em off.
where do u live...what state I mean?
Old Nov 5th 2007, 10:24 pm

If its Qld I would contact

http://www.rta.qld.gov.au/index.cfm
Old Nov 5th 2007, 10:25 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

If you have made notes on the pre rental agreement... then speak to agent, say that dust on a window cill offsets the unclean state the property was in when you took on the house..

If they have a issue, you will be happy to speak with the Rental Tribunal thingy
Old Nov 5th 2007, 10:26 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Argh mate!!! There was someone on here that had trouble with a rental bond, I can't remember who it was. I'll see if I can find the thread for you
Old Nov 5th 2007, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

We've got same issue in UK. Have been told that carpets must be cleaned? I replaced the carpet in the front room as it was dirty & thread bare and covered most other carpets with rugs! Can't believe they've told us to clean the carpets. Also been told to move the fridge out of the back yard that has been sat there long before we moved in?
Not sure where we stand with any of it here nevermind if we get a rental in Aus...
Old Nov 5th 2007, 10:31 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clippies
Argh mate!!! There was someone on here that had trouble with a rental bond, I can't remember who it was. I'll see if I can find the thread for you
I think this is the thread that had some good tips on, I haven't read it through though cus my eyes are closing

clickety click me
Old Nov 5th 2007, 11:00 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
We've got same issue in UK. Have been told that carpets must be cleaned? I replaced the carpet in the front room as it was dirty & thread bare and covered most other carpets with rugs! Can't believe they've told us to clean the carpets. Also been told to move the fridge out of the back yard that has been sat there long before we moved in?
Not sure where we stand with any of it here nevermind if we get a rental in Aus...
as with the uk, in australia... if you decide to install a brand new kitchen in a rental ( why , bemuses me )

you must reinstate the property on departure to its past former glory ( or not ) as the case may be !
Old Nov 5th 2007, 11:03 pm
(^v^)

Originally Posted by Clippies
I think this is the thread that had some good tips on, I haven't read it through though cus my eyes are closing

clickety click me
thanks chick i'll have a look later got to go out now .. party time re Melbourne Cup .. any excuse LOL

Originally Posted by biggy
where do u live...what state I mean?
Hi biggy i'm in Tasmania.

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Hi dont know about any other states but the carpet thing goes for all rentals here, you have to get the carpets cleaned and take a receipt to the agent along with the keys. So we're already $150 off the bond return after carpet cleaning.

the fridge is not your problem jeez I have come to the conclusion that a lot of this is just a way to get renters to fix and clean problems the owners cant be arsed to do.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Sounds familiar... we had to wait 6 weeks just to get the form that we have to sign that goes to the bond administrator... i ended up going to the rental place and complaining in the office to everyone... they also owed me 118 dollers in backrent and said they couldn't give it to me either as cash or cheque as they had no cash and their bank account was empty!!! This is a crappy company in Perth..
Old Nov 5th 2007, 11:06 pm

See that link I posted...dinnae look at it cos its nae use lol
Old Nov 5th 2007, 11:07 pm
(^v^)

If you have made notes on the pre rental agreement... then speak to agent, say that dust on a window cill offsets the unclean state the property was in when you took on the house..

If they have a issue, you will be happy to speak with the Rental Tribunal thingy
of cause you are totally right Timber but they just dont see it that way, I have tried though not dangled the Tribunal in front of them.

think i'm going to take a friggin photo of the said cleaned windowsill to avoid any come back, in fact that is not a bad idea for all potential renters take dated photos when you move in to compare when you leave.

thanks for your responses guys.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 11:09 pm
(^v^)

Originally Posted by biggy

See that link I posted...dinnae look at it cos its nae use lol
LOL thanks anyway hen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.