Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone else had a problem with quarantine??

Anyone else had a problem with quarantine??

Old May 16th 2007, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

jonjelly will become famous soon enoughjonjelly will become famous soon enough
Default Anyone else had a problem with quarantine??

Hello, we went to pick our dog up from quarantine on sunday to find that when we got home he was limping really bad on both his front legs, his pads were twice the size red and pussing, his ears were red raw and really bad wax, his coat was dull and lost all his gloss and very scally skin, he had water blisters all around his mouth. he also had a really bad cough. he just lay there not wanting to move, we took him to the vets on monday hes he got broncitis and hes also allergic to something, so after having a pain killer injection, 2 lots of antibiotics and ear drops, plus hes been put on a kangaroo meat and potato diet for 6 weeks got to take him back after 3 weeks for check up, we were faced with a bill of $250 and thats jsut for starters. which of course is not a problem but is it just me or does anyone else think that this should of been picked up in quarantine???? its made me feel sick at the thought of him being there and being so uncomfortable. i just think its really poor that they dont get a vet to check them over before they are allowed to leave. this could of been nipped in the bud before it got so bad. we were desperate to take him to the beach and start his new life and now god knows when he can do that!!!!
Old May 16th 2007, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

Location: Suffolk to Melbourne to Suffolk and back to Melbourne again!
cooksdownunder is just really nicecooksdownunder is just really nicecooksdownunder is just really nicecooksdownunder is just really nicecooksdownunder is just really nicecooksdownunder is just really nicecooksdownunder is just really nicecooksdownunder is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone else had a problem with quarantine??

Hi, we hope your dog is starting to feel better, poor thing. We came over last year and our three cats were in quarantine in Melbourne. All three caught cat flu and if we had not been so insistent (thankfully we took the decision to visit a couple of times a week) no vet would have been called out. The vet was very uncaring, told us what did we expect after what they had been through! We were told they were probably just run down after only a week! We appreciate they were probably stressed but they were perfectly healthly cats, we believe they caught cat flu thanks to the miserable conditions at the quarantine station, freezing cold at night, then really hot in the day. There was a one bar heater for the whole area the cats were in, no heat pads available. We were very unimpressed but have realised that pets here are not treated as well as in the UK, even our own Vet told us how much he loved his time in the UK (he's an Aussie!) because we are responsible, loving owners. We send your dog lots of love, our cats were back to top health within a few weeks coming out and proper vet care and food, so we are sure your dog will be full of life very soon.
Old May 16th 2007, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

jonjelly - that's awful! Have you rung the quarantine centre to let them know? Obviously it's too late for your poor dog but they should probably check the other dogs they have there - and they might want to supervise whoever was caring (or not) for your dog to make sure they are up to standard.
Which quarantine centre was it? Our lab just came out of Eastern Creek (Sydney) the other week and was in pretty good condition - he had lost a lot of muscle tone, from lack of exercise, and his coat was not in top condition as I don't think he got as much grooming as he really needed. But we're getting him back into shape now! I couldn't complain about the service we/he received, I'm so sorry to hear that your dog didn't get the same care.

Last edited by esperanza; May 16th 2007 at 9:11 am.
Old May 16th 2007, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

jonjelly will become famous soon enoughjonjelly will become famous soon enough

thanks guys, it was byford perth, they seemed to be really caring but obviously something has gone wrong. just glad that hes here with us now and we can look after him. you just feel really guilty for putting them through it. boy does he love kangaroo meat and potatos though although its starting to make me feel sick having to cook it all the time. im sure he will be back to normal in no time. i am going to write to them and explain whats happened, i find it easier writing it down. hopefully nobody else will have the same problem. just makes you think what are you paying for!!!
Old May 16th 2007, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jonjelly
thanks guys, it was byford perth, they seemed to be really caring but obviously something has gone wrong. just glad that hes here with us now and we can look after him. you just feel really guilty for putting them through it. boy does he love kangaroo meat and potatos though although its starting to make me feel sick having to cook it all the time. im sure he will be back to normal in no time. i am going to write to them and explain whats happened, i find it easier writing it down. hopefully nobody else will have the same problem. just makes you think what are you paying for!!!
Really sorry to here about your dog. We had ours at Byford and I have to say they were wonderful with her. Since coming over though she has suffered with allergies a few times. Her paws (soles) can swell up and become really red and sore. The same with her ears. This happens in the space of a day and the vet still hasn't figured whats causing it. She has some steroids and is fine in the space of a day but we will have to try figure whats causing it. Maybe your dog is like mine and just became unwell very quickly and the quarantine didn't have time to pick up on it Hope he's O.K soon.
Tracie
Old May 16th 2007, 12:41 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonjelly
Hello, we went to pick our dog up from quarantine on sunday to find that when we got home he was limping really bad on both his front legs, his pads were twice the size red and pussing, his ears were red raw and really bad wax, his coat was dull and lost all his gloss and very scally skin, he had water blisters all around his mouth. he also had a really bad cough. he just lay there not wanting to move, we took him to the vets on monday hes he got broncitis and hes also allergic to something, so after having a pain killer injection, 2 lots of antibiotics and ear drops, plus hes been put on a kangaroo meat and potato diet for 6 weeks got to take him back after 3 weeks for check up, we were faced with a bill of $250 and thats jsut for starters. which of course is not a problem but is it just me or does anyone else think that this should of been picked up in quarantine???? its made me feel sick at the thought of him being there and being so uncomfortable. i just think its really poor that they dont get a vet to check them over before they are allowed to leave. this could of been nipped in the bud before it got so bad. we were desperate to take him to the beach and start his new life and now god knows when he can do that!!!!
We put our two through Eastern Creek, and visited them every single day for the month they were in there. There care they got was good BUT, they don't get vets in ever unless you organise it, if your dog isn't eating or has something wrong they will not notice. Thats a bit of a lie because they do notice but if you don't visit regularly then nothing will be done about it.

One of ours wasn't eating and was in there for 3 days before we first went in and was in a right state. But he would eat for us and we used to take spam and other treats in. Also we got to walk them and exercise them every day.

My advice for anyone else putting their dogs or cats though it, is you have to visit every day or at least every other day. You are not paying for B&B you are paying for them to be locked up out of circulation for 30 days. And lets face it noone treats your pets as good as you do.