Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone else had a call from the UK Tax Office?

Anyone else had a call from the UK Tax Office?

Old Nov 22nd 2007, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone else had a call from the UK Tax Office?

Received a call yesterday from the tax office (UK) - apparently mine, along with thousands others details have been 'lost'. Courteous of them to call, however as I don't live there anymore, don't really consider it a problem. Also as my details are 'lost' how did they get my aus landline number when its a silent number? Ummmmm, not quite sure what to think. The lady said as I live over here shes emailing me details of the incident and security measures to take. Haven't seen anything on the news over here about this so a tad confused.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 2:18 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone else had a call from the UK Tax Office?

Originally Posted by glittababe
Received a call yesterday from the tax office (UK) - apparently mine, along with thousands others details have been 'lost'. Courteous of them to call, however as I don't live there anymore, don't really consider it a problem. Also as my details are 'lost' how did they get my aus landline number when its a silent number? Ummmmm, not quite sure what to think. The lady said as I live over here shes emailing me details of the incident and security measures to take. Haven't seen anything on the news over here about this so a tad confused.
Apparently some numbnut dumped a database of personal details (bank records, etc) onto a couple of discs and posted them unregistered ... and they never arrived.

Nice.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 2:20 am
Cobbalobs

grossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to all

Did u stay with anyone prior to moving out here?? And if so , did u change your address with the tax office for that address, cause maybe they phoned that number and they passed your details on, otherwise i don't think there is any possible way they could obtain your details if u haven't given them to them.
Worrying...............
Fiona x
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grossenbol
Did u stay with anyone prior to moving out here?? And if so , did u change your address with the tax office for that address, cause maybe they phoned that number and they passed your details on, otherwise i don't think there is any possible way they could obtain your details if u haven't given them to them.
Worrying...............
Fiona x
yep i stayed with my sister, and changed my details with the tax office as I was waiting for a refund from the P85 - leaving the UK form. I gave her address and tel number. Have contacted sister - just waiting for her to reply.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 4:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=495226 The cock up is here in all it's glory.

What's so special about you then. What about the other 24,999,999 people
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 5:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Johnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the story, "Brown orders data security checks" from the BBC News site.

I'm glad I don't have any kids!

And what about the tax-payer's bill for calling 25m people, some of whom are clearly overseas! Nice one!
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Johnsyweb
Here is the story, "Brown orders data security checks" from the BBC News site.

I'm glad I don't have any kids!

And what about the tax-payer's bill for calling 25m people, some of whom are clearly overseas! Nice one!
What a job hey? Thats a lotta people! Ah well shall look out for the email - have checked the BBC website - interesting
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 8:04 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

And:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...customs421.xml

Words fail me...
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 8:15 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=495226 The cock up is here in all it's glory.

What's so special about you then. What about the other 24,999,999 people
He was at the top of the list
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 8:17 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
He was at the top of the list
He's a she 25 million phone calls, followed by 25 million emails Glad I'm no longer a UK tax payer.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 4:32 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Yes yet another cock up from this sad excuse of a Government.:curse:
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by moneypen20
He's a she 25 million phone calls, followed by 25 million emails Glad I'm no longer a UK tax payer.
Well i haven't received the email yet! heard from my sis, yep they did call her, but they called 'her' regarding her kids details and she happened to ask whether it would effect her sis's kids in Aus, and then gave my details. Have checked the news websites, what a huge cock up! What does it mean for our kids security when they're older? One site said that fraudsters can wait until the kids turn 18 then use their details? Scary stuff. Whats being done?