Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

HMRC has lost the full details of all child benefit recipients

HMRC has lost the full details of all child benefit recipients

Old Nov 20th 2007, 4:44 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation HMRC has lost the full details of all child benefit recipients

Two computer discs holding the personal details of all families in the UK with a child under 16 have gone missing. The Child Benefit data on them include name, address, date of birth, National Insurance number and, where relevant, bank details of 25m people.

Chancellor Alistair Darling said there was no evidence the data had fallen into criminal hands - but urged people to monitor their bank accounts.

The Conservatives described the incident as a "catastrophic" failure.

In an emergency statement to MPs Mr Darling apologised for what he described as an "extremely serious failure on the part of HMRC to protect sensitive personal data entrusted to it in breach of its own guidelines".

MPs gasped as Mr Darling told them: "The missing information contains details of all Child Benefit recipients: records for 25 million individuals and 7.25 million families."

The chancellor blamed mistakes by junior officials at HMRC, who he said ignored security procedures.

"Two password protected discs containing a full copy of HMRC's entire data in relation to the payment of child benefit was sent to the NAO, by HMRC's internal post system operated by the courier TNT. The package was not recorded or registered. It appears the data has failed to reach the addressee in the NAO.

The police tell me that they have no reason to believe that this data has found its way into the wrong hands. The police are not aware of any evidence that it has been used for fraudulent purposes or criminal activity."

The data was sent on 18 October and senior management at HMRC were told it was missing on 8 November and the chancellor on 10 November, said Mr Darling.

[...]

The prime minister's official spokeswoman said Gordon Brown has "full confidence" in Mr Darling. She added that Mr Darling has not offered to resign.
BBC.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HMRC has lost the full details of all child benefit recipients

Yeah, well I don't have full confidence in him, useless t**t:curse: I bet their details aren't on those discs!
Old Nov 20th 2007, 5:07 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

just read this on the bbc ... i rather liked the way that they sent another set of disks when the first ones didnt arrive
Old Nov 20th 2007, 5:26 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

They don't think it's fallen into criminal hands but we'd all better check our accounts just in case
WTF?
Old Nov 20th 2007, 5:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Great.

How much other personal info has been 'lost' that we don't know about? Useless twonks. Fancy sending ALL the info together. Fancy sending it by courier.

I give up.

Last edited by Fly Away; Nov 20th 2007 at 5:41 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 5:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Would be interested to know how much that sort of info would fetch on the black market! What a bunch of useless bureaucrats we have running this country
Old Nov 20th 2007, 5:59 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Would be interested to know how much that sort of info would fetch on the black market! What a bunch of useless bureaucrats we have running this country
Doesn't just happen in Britain, y'know

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/05/23/vets.data/index.html

The computer disk contained the names, Social Security numbers and birth dates of every living veteran from 1975 to the present.
But the missing information could be gold for electronic identity thieves, who operate hundreds of Internet sites where personal information is bought and sold.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by elfman
Doesn't just happen in Britain, y'know

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/05/23/vets.data/index.html

The computer disk contained the names, Social Security numbers and birth dates of every living veteran from 1975 to the present.
But the missing information could be gold for electronic identity thieves, who operate hundreds of Internet sites where personal information is bought and sold.
I'll re-phrase that then to...what a useless bunch of bureaucrats there seem to be running the world!
Old Nov 20th 2007, 6:45 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

Two computer discs holding the personal details of all families in the UK with a child under 16 have gone missing. The Child Benefit data on them include name, address, date of birth, National Insurance number and, where relevant, bank details of 25m people.

Chancellor Alistair Darling said there was no evidence the data had fallen into criminal hands - but urged people to monitor their bank accounts.

The Conservatives described the incident as a "catastrophic" failure.

In an emergency statement to MPs Mr Darling apologised for what he described as an "extremely serious failure on the part of HMRC to protect sensitive personal data entrusted to it in breach of its own guidelines".

MPs gasped as Mr Darling told them: "The missing information contains details of all Child Benefit recipients: records for 25 million individuals and 7.25 million families."

The chancellor blamed mistakes by junior officials at HMRC, who he said ignored security procedures.

"Two password protected discs containing a full copy of HMRC's entire data in relation to the payment of child benefit was sent to the NAO, by HMRC's internal post system operated by the courier TNT. The package was not recorded or registered. It appears the data has failed to reach the addressee in the NAO.

The police tell me that they have no reason to believe that this data has found its way into the wrong hands. The police are not aware of any evidence that it has been used for fraudulent purposes or criminal activity."

The data was sent on 18 October and senior management at HMRC were told it was missing on 8 November and the chancellor on 10 November, said Mr Darling.

[...]

The prime minister's official spokeswoman said Gordon Brown has "full confidence" in Mr Darling. She added that Mr Darling has not offered to resign.
BBC.
IS it available on PS3?

If it had been sent by ROYAL FAIL, they could have recovered full postage costs !!!! mind you they need to make a claim within 21 days, but not until package has been missing for 3 weeks !!

I bet 1 disk has un-pronounceable names on it !
Old Nov 20th 2007, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Couldn't they have sent one of their illegal immigrant security guards with the disks to ensure they arrived?
Old Nov 20th 2007, 7:36 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

All I am going to say is utter idiots.

I say this as I am responsible for the data protection implementation, policy etc of HR data etc in a dept larger than HM and I would NEVER EVER EVER send such data in the internal post - end of. I wouldn't even send it in the post. My rule of thumb is just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it can't .

I probably sound like a jobsworth but I am far from that. I simply understand and have seen how stolen personal information can devastate people and their lives for many years.

I won't even touch on the service ruddy TNT provide - it's government wide.

Without going into detail people simply don't realise - be it your employer or a provider of benefits how much data is held and how stupid people can be with the security of your data.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 7:43 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a simple question. Will the disks still work on my PC in Aus?
Old Nov 20th 2007, 7:53 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

yeh and the password will be piss easy and they will have emailed the password to NAO. It will probably be cb0607nao. No, I don't work for revenue - I do have some pride left.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 7:55 pm
Canberra bound

Actually, thinking about it - it is probably hello in CAPS. Luck is I am on that bloody disc.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:33 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Or "PASSWORD"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.