Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone else giving up the dream - or just putting it on hold?

Anyone else giving up the dream - or just putting it on hold?

Old Jun 24th 2011, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Betty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone else giving up the dream - or just putting it on hold?

We have decided it is no longer within our reach Can't sell our home and even if we did it would be at a big loss, the exchange rate is not in our favour and we are realistic that cost of living in Oz is damn expensive. I have always erred on the side of caution and my hubby is a bit more 'it'll be right' but even he has come to realise that we would be losing so much and have to work twice as hard to get back to what we had before (we lived in oz for nearly 7 years), we could never afford what we once had. We both said at the start when getting aussie passports renewed and putting house up for sale if it didnt happen this time (we talk about it every year!!!!) then it's not going to happen, kids are getting older, more settled at school, with friends, etc so it was now or never really. We were going to rent our home out then a burst water pipe and lots of damage made us rethink that one! I couldnt cope with the stress of it all and we would have no money to go with So it's back to reality, get on with life and enjoy what we have.

I believe everything happens for a reason and perhaps we came back in the first place because it just wasn't meant to be.

Anyone else giving up the dream, or are you just putting it on hold for when the time is right?
Old Jul 17th 2011, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

milamila is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Anyone else giving up the dream - or just putting it on hold?

Good to meet someone in a similar predicament, makes me feel less of a wimp. My partner and I are in a similar situation really except he's Polish and we were thinking of moving to Australia on a partner visa for him. But just like you guys we have been put off by the strong Oz dollar and the fact that we'd really have to lower our living standards if we moved to Australia, and I mean lower them drastically. So it's Europe for me at the moment and maybe even forever, unless a miracle makes us suddenly very wealthy On a trip to Oz two years ago to see family and friends I really noticed how the average Australian family is struggling financially these days, even on relatively high incomes and how they cannot afford a lot of the things which we here in Europe take for granted, such as overseas holidays and dinners out in good restaurants. It's a beautiful country, like no other in the world but unfortunately you can't live on beauty alone
Old Jul 17th 2011, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

scaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to all
Default Re: Anyone else giving up the dream - or just putting it on hold?

Not sure if this helps..but Day to day groceries and items are not too expensive. We have moved here from the USA and by far USA has the cheapest prices on many items. Coming to Oz, what we have found is that in case you can shop smartly-deals are there and can save money.

Of course based on what is written, I don't know the specific on your family composition and life style so not the write person to comment personally. We were in a similar situation, but you will have to make the move sometime. How about one of you moving and getting settled and then you move? Again, these may not apply to you.

In the end don't give up hope...

scaria197
Old Jul 17th 2011, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

Miguelcoelhos is an unknown quantity at this point

The life it's cruel for itself.

Nothing we could do about it. But in the perfect moment something will change, for better, i hope at least!
Old Jul 18th 2011, 6:38 am
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light

If you are happy and have a comfortable life in UK then stay as OZ is not (to us) a very great place to be.
If some one wants to buy our house ill go back to uk asap
Old Jul 18th 2011, 6:57 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Betty Boot
We have decided it is no longer within our reach Can't sell our home and even if we did it would be at a big loss, the exchange rate is not in our favour and we are realistic that cost of living in Oz is damn expensive. I have always erred on the side of caution and my hubby is a bit more 'it'll be right' but even he has come to realise that we would be losing so much and have to work twice as hard to get back to what we had before (we lived in oz for nearly 7 years), we could never afford what we once had. We both said at the start when getting aussie passports renewed and putting house up for sale if it didnt happen this time (we talk about it every year!!!!) then it's not going to happen, kids are getting older, more settled at school, with friends, etc so it was now or never really. We were going to rent our home out then a burst water pipe and lots of damage made us rethink that one! I couldnt cope with the stress of it all and we would have no money to go with So it's back to reality, get on with life and enjoy what we have.

I believe everything happens for a reason and perhaps we came back in the first place because it just wasn't meant to be.

Anyone else giving up the dream, or are you just putting it on hold for when the time is right?
Eminently sensible decision. I mean, why wreck your life, in the hope, that it might work out OK in the end?
I think your choice, is the one that many, particularly those in the UK, will be making at this time, as financially, its about as tough as it could be, to move from the UK to Oz, at the moment.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 11:26 am
Just Joined

milamila is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Anyone else giving up the dream - or just putting it on hold?

Originally Posted by Miguelcoelhos
The life it's cruel for itself.

Nothing we could do about it. But in the perfect moment something will change, for better, i hope at least!
Yes, you are right. Things always work out for the best even though sometimes it's not what we really wanted in the first place. I'm a hopeful person too and I also believe that something will change for the better
Old Jul 18th 2011, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

ZOE POE has a brilliant futureZOE POE has a brilliant futureZOE POE has a brilliant futureZOE POE has a brilliant futureZOE POE has a brilliant futureZOE POE has a brilliant future

similar situation for us it has took nearly 4 years to get the visa we now have it and are planning a trip out there in november to validate as we have to do this before december,financially it does seem not the right time,we were out there 4 years ago and back then every thing was on our side now it seems we made just have to ride this out for the moment our eldest is in her last 1 1/2 of school so were now thinking to let her finish school and hopefully it may be easier by then and the exchange rate etc may be better,we our not giving up as it has took along time and money to get visa and are not giving up on the dream ,but i think our trip out there for a few weeks in november will be the decision maker for us we all need to stay positive about it and see what happens,but good luck to every one in all your own decisions that you make for yourselves and your familys
Old Jul 18th 2011, 12:52 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

My dreams involve vaseline and numerous short-haired brunettes so, no, I am not giving up.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 1:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
My dreams involve vaseline and numerous short-haired brunettes so, no, I am not giving up.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 1:04 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Just holding it then.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Betty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, posted this quite a while a go and thought we were the only ones wimping out and giving up lol. We have since taken the house off the market, booked a holiday for this year and next year and husband handed his notice in at work to do what he really wants to do, so plenty happening to keep us busy and not dwell on the what ifs too much Now just got to figure how to survive the 6 weeks school holidays with my 3 kiddies

Thank you for all your replies, keep me updated on what happens and if you ever make it to the 'other side'!
Old Jul 18th 2011, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

suzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to behold

we put our dream on hold 3 yrs ago when i turned down a job in Cairns with visa sponsorship. At that point the world was in recession adn we worried about finding a job for hubby and wether we shoud really the UK where we had jobs etc. 3 years on nothing has changed, hubby was made redundant, I have a good job but not much chance of getting much higher up for a long time due to cutbacks in the NHS on nursing staff, we still don't own a home etc etc. so we have decided just to go for it this time, we may aswell see if we can make any more of it down under, i know with the wages i will get we will be better off than we are now
Old Jul 18th 2011, 8:50 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by suzanne7575
we put our dream on hold 3 yrs ago when i turned down a job in Cairns with visa sponsorship. At that point the world was in recession adn we worried about finding a job for hubby and wether we shoud really the UK where we had jobs etc. 3 years on nothing has changed, hubby was made redundant, I have a good job but not much chance of getting much higher up for a long time due to cutbacks in the NHS on nursing staff, we still don't own a home etc etc. so we have decided just to go for it this time, we may aswell see if we can make any more of it down under, i know with the wages i will get we will be better off than we are now
Another perfectly sensible decision. You don't sound like you have much to lose by taking the leap, so go for it.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 9:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I'll see you on 'the other side'...