Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth or Townsville

Perth or Townsville

Old Jun 4th 2011, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

suzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to behold
Default Perth or Townsville

I'm a nurse and currently have to choose between two jobs in these areas. My background is I'm coming over with hubby (who has salea managment and busines development management expereince but currently works for himself doing IT repairs, computer builds and website design, but no formal qualifications in this. He also has a degree in environmental resource managment and geology but 14 years ago and no experince post graduation) and my 2 kids who are 9 and 7.

My first offer is for Perth at Fremantle hospital but based at Kaleeya hospital in East Fremantle. It is with sponsorship for a 457 visa and although they have said they will consider sponsorship for PR after i have been there for a while that is no definate and we may have to apply for a 175/176 whilst over there. There is also no relocation package.

My second offer is for a hospital in Townsville. They are offereing a PR visa, a months accomodation, a weeks car hire, refund of my flight and nurse registration fees and i've also heard they offer $150 per week rental assistance for 6 months. Of course i would have to work for them for 2 years but then again if i was on a 457 i would be tied to employer anyway.

I am just in a total dilemma over which to choose. I have done lots of research into both areas. I do feel that Perth has its advantages in that it is a bigger city and there will be more opportunities for both myself as a nurse and also for my hubby but then the size has its downsides in that to be able to afford to buy there we would probably have to live in the southern suburbs such as secret harbour, Rockingham etc, which do look lovely but it is a heck of a commute even to Fremantle. Then of course there is the added issues of the visa only being temp which whilst i know lots of people do start off i do also know the downsides.

Townsville on the other hand is obviously smaller and more isolated in some ways but at least you can drive to cairns and get flights to other major cities on the East Coast reasonably. It seems to have everything you need for family life and im sure hubby would find work somewhere. House prices whilst not cheap do not seem to be as expensive as Perth.

So can anyone give me any advice. I know Townsville seems to be a place that divides people opinion wise and I'm fully expecting to hear the onslaught of townsville bashers as well as perth bashers but if anyone could give some impartial advice i would be very grateful

thanks so much
Old Jun 4th 2011, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

edmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Perth or Townsville

Originally Posted by suzanne7575
I'm a nurse and currently have to choose between two jobs in these areas. My background is I'm coming over with hubby (who has salea managment and busines development management expereince but currently works for himself doing IT repairs, computer builds and website design, but no formal qualifications in this. He also has a degree in environmental resource managment and geology but 14 years ago and no experince post graduation) and my 2 kids who are 9 and 7.

My first offer is for Perth at Fremantle hospital but based at Kaleeya hospital in East Fremantle. It is with sponsorship for a 457 visa and although they have said they will consider sponsorship for PR after i have been there for a while that is no definate and we may have to apply for a 175/176 whilst over there. There is also no relocation package.

My second offer is for a hospital in Townsville. They are offereing a PR visa, a months accomodation, a weeks car hire, refund of my flight and nurse registration fees and i've also heard they offer $150 per week rental assistance for 6 months. Of course i would have to work for them for 2 years but then again if i was on a 457 i would be tied to employer anyway.

I am just in a total dilemma over which to choose. I have done lots of research into both areas. I do feel that Perth has its advantages in that it is a bigger city and there will be more opportunities for both myself as a nurse and also for my hubby but then the size has its downsides in that to be able to afford to buy there we would probably have to live in the southern suburbs such as secret harbour, Rockingham etc, which do look lovely but it is a heck of a commute even to Fremantle. Then of course there is the added issues of the visa only being temp which whilst i know lots of people do start off i do also know the downsides.

Townsville on the other hand is obviously smaller and more isolated in some ways but at least you can drive to cairns and get flights to other major cities on the East Coast reasonably. It seems to have everything you need for family life and im sure hubby would find work somewhere. House prices whilst not cheap do not seem to be as expensive as Perth.

So can anyone give me any advice. I know Townsville seems to be a place that divides people opinion wise and I'm fully expecting to hear the onslaught of townsville bashers as well as perth bashers but if anyone could give some impartial advice i would be very grateful

thanks so much
My advice would be to say yes please to PR and relocation assistance.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 1:49 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Townsville is small, isolated and your husband may not find a job in his chosen field go Perth.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 3:09 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I know Townsville seems to be a place that divides people opinion wise.
Yes it does seem to.

Everyone is entitled to hold an opinion but you need to decide for yourself whether they formed it based on valid experiences.

From what I've read over the years only one or two of the TV bashers have actually lived there so what are the others basing their opinion on?
A flying visit?
What the papers say?
A mate told them?
All could be valid of course.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 3:17 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by edmontron
Me too.
PR from the outset is worth a lot.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

suzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks so far everyone

I think it's pretty much decided we will go for Townsville and the offer of PR. I will feel more secure in our move by having he PR which surely counts for a lot. A place can the nicest place in the world but if you have the uncertaintly of the 457 then that may overshadow it.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 9:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so far everyone

I think it's pretty much decided we will go for Townsville and the offer of PR. I will feel more secure in our move by having he PR which surely counts for a lot. A place can the nicest place in the world but if you have the uncertaintly of the 457 then that may overshadow it.
Very true. The PR option at least means you have security and having spent three years on temp visas believe me that can mean a lot
Old Jun 5th 2011, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

As a nurse you wouldnt struggle to get another sponsor somewhere else, so wouldnt be too panicked about the 457 uncertainty.

The southern suburbs are not a bad thing. Nice beaches and laid back lifestyle and the commute isnt actually that bad. Straight up the old coast road. About a 30 min drive from Secret Harbour to Freo.

However, the deal to Townsville does sound the better one. Perth is a bigger city, but its not known as Dullsville to the locals for nothing.

Although its a long time ago your husbands degree in geology might still be applicable. Not probably as a practicing geo, but there are a fair few exploration companies in Townsville and most struggle with their IT skills so having someone with geology understanding and IT i think would be well received. Also, there are i believe offices there of some of the big mining software companies such as Gemcom.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 2:42 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
About a 30 min drive from Secret Harbour to Freo.
Slightly off topic and with respect, no chance. Its 50km and there is no way you can average 100km/hr off freeway.
I'd say nearer an hour (and I regularly do half that drive to Kwinana)
Old Jun 5th 2011, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I was in Fre the other day and live in Dawesville. Took me about an hour. But it takes me about 15 mins to get as far as Mandurah train station.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Are there any private hospitals other than Kaleeya offering PR visas, help with relocation, etc? Have you checked the WA Govt website? http://search.jobs.wa.gov.au/page.ph...owUID=0#report. If you don't like it at the Townsville hospital, is there an alternative hospital to work in there, or would you have to re-locate elsewhere in Australia? At least in Perth, there are lots more hospitals.

One thing that would put me off Townsville is the climate - humid and tropical is not for me. Perth has hot weather, but it tends to be dry.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 5:47 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so far everyone

Perth everytime. Townsville is extremely isolated, small, humid and from what I hear the economy is quite depressed at the moment in Qld. You will get PR by moving to Perth IF your employer rates you highly.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

gozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nice

Townsville is fine for a couple of years or so. Like you say at least you can go up and down the East Coast quite cheaply. We regularly go to Cairns for the weekend or Airlie Beach although there is not alot in between. Im off to Melbourne for a long weekend for $99 each way. You wont get cheap sale flights like that from Perth. Overall I would say Perth is far more isolated than Townsville.

We are leaving Townsville at the end of the year after being here 3 years and have had a great time but I do feel that 3 years is just right and I feel ready to go now. There is lots of British nurses here to make you feel at home.

Townsville is great for kids if you have any. Always lots of things to do in the school holidays and if you dont have kids you will be able to take advantage of flight sales and clear off when the heat gets too much. The heat side of things is the biggest problem for me, between December and April it is horrible but come May to November its great.

Good luck with your decision.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by edmontron
I agree.
That sounds like a good package for Townsville & once you have fulfilled your commitment & got PR, you can move wherever you like.

Good luck Suzanne
Old Jun 5th 2011, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gozzey
Townsville is fine for a couple of years or so. Like you say at least you can go up and down the East Coast quite cheaply. We regularly go to Cairns for the weekend or Airlie Beach although there is not alot in between. Im off to Melbourne for a long weekend for $99 each way. You wont get cheap sale flights like that from Perth. Overall I would say Perth is far more isolated than Townsville.
I would agree about Perth being very isolated. Travelling from Perth is much more expensive than to. It's the numbers game. Perth is just not that popular a destination enough to get the prices down. International flights out of Perth are also more expensive than other east coast cities.
You can grow to like a place given time and the friends you make. I never thought I would ever end up in Perth having lived several years on the east coast but I did and it's going good so far.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.