Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is anyone else experiecing Quantas fraud?

Is anyone else experiecing Quantas fraud?

Old Jan 18th 2008, 3:18 am
Just Joined

bberg009 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is anyone else experiecing Quantas fraud?

After spending almost $10,000 on plane tickets to Austalia for our family vacation, Quantas refused to give a single frequent flier mile to our American Airline accounts (they are one-world alliance partners).

However, after the travel is completed, Quantas instructs American Airlines, that the flights does not "qualify for frequent flier milage". No such stipulations were made when we booked the tickets, after confirmation, nor is it printed on our intiniary, tickets, boarding passes,emailed confirmations or receipts.

Only after travel is completed and paid for do they refuse credits. Quantas, also does not respond to emails nor direct contacts. Is this fraud experienced by others?
Old Jan 18th 2008, 3:33 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is anyone else experiecing Quantas fraud?

Originally Posted by bberg009
After spending almost $10,000 on plane tickets to Austalia for our family vacation, Quantas refused to give a single frequent flier mile to our American Airline accounts (they are one-world alliance partners).

However, after the travel is completed, Quantas instructs American Airlines, that the flights does not "qualify for frequent flier milage". No such stipulations were made when we booked the tickets, after confirmation, nor is it printed on our intiniary, tickets, boarding passes,emailed confirmations or receipts.

Only after travel is completed and paid for do they refuse credits. Quantas, also does not respond to emails nor direct contacts. Is this fraud experienced by others?
How did you book the tickets? With Qantas or an agent?
Old Jan 18th 2008, 3:52 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Qantas are a pile of pooh airline.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 4:13 am
Just Joined

roman_candle has a spectacular aura aboutroman_candle has a spectacular aura aboutroman_candle has a spectacular aura about

Qantas and American Airlines don’t credit points for flights done on the other, even though they are both one world airlines. Or rather, they do, but only if you fly on a ‘non discount’ economy fare (or business/first class fare, I guess), which almost nobody actually does as there’s so much discounting on air fares. Or at least, that was what I was told when I queried it a few years ago.

I’m a Qantas frequent flyer and had the same experience when I flew American Airlines – no points for me! You’ll probably actually find that it’s AA in your case that isn’t crediting your points, not Qantas, as they would be the ones operating your frequent flyer scheme, but the conditions seem to be reciprocal. I’m not sure about AA, but the Qantas frequent flyer terms and conditions actually do say that you can only earn points on eligible airlines and fare codes and that “Frequent Flyer points may not be earned on some fare types, or on some oneworld alliance or partner airline flights”, so I guess the onus is on you to find out whether your fare code is eligible or not. Tucked way back in the terms and conditions it does list the eligible fare codes, and I bet if you looked at the terms and conditions of your AA frequent flyer membership you'd find a similar thing in there, unfortunately. They usually cover themselves for this stuff. meh. Frequent flyer programs are so dodgy in that way, they seem fantastic until you realise that they make it as hard as possible to actually redeem the points.

Last edited by roman_candle; Jan 18th 2008 at 4:18 am.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you read the terms of the frequent flyer plan? I know that on some routes, even if you are on a One World partner you are not eligible for frequent flyer points if it is a route that the airline that you are a FF member of flies the route.

That said I am a Qantas FF and have never not been credited for my American Airlines to BA flights so there must be more to your story.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 4:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Also if you are a member of the American Airlines program the refusal must be coming from AA not Qantas as it is AA who determines whether or not you qualify.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 5:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Rather than publicly accusing a major airline of fraud, would it not be an idea to contact the Customer Service Depts at both Qantas and AA and ask them why they are not awarding the points?
Many airlines that are in OneWorld don't do a fuilly reciprocal system for their points, its all in the small print on the Qantas website.

(and its QANTAS by the way )
Old Jan 18th 2008, 6:01 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know if this helps, but - Excerpt from FF terms and conditions -

9.3.5 The Minimum Points Guarantee will be applied to all Eligible Flights that have a QF, JQ, 3K, VF, AA or BA flight number. The Minimum Points Guarantee is as follows:

(a) for Qantas (QF) and Jetstar (JQ, 3K or VF) - 1,000 Points for each Eligible Flight Segment travelled in Economy or Premium Economy class and 1,250 Points for each Eligible Flight Segment travelled in Business or First class or Jetstar StarClass;
(b) for American Airlines® (AA) - 500 Points for each Eligible Flight Segment travelled; and
(c) for British Airways (BA) - 500 Points for each Eligible Flight Segment travelled in full Economy, World Traveller Plus, Business or First class and 125 Points for each Eligible Flight Segment travelled in discount Economy class.

9.3.6 The Minimum Points Guarantee applies only if the number of Points earned after the application of any applicable Cabin Class Bonus, any promotional bonus and any Status Bonus, is less than the applicable Minimum Points Guarantee specified in clause 9.3.5.

BUT

9.4 Points Are Not Earned on All Flights
9.4.1 Points are not earned for travel on:
(a) flights or booking classes that are excluded, as specified in the Airline Earning Table;
(b) infant fares unless travelling in their own paid seat;
(c) charter flights;
(d) freighter flights;
(e) free tickets, including tickets issued as Award Flights or rewards, including through other award programs;
(f) travel industry rebated tickets;
(g) competition prize tickets;
(h) transport other than air transport unless specified by Qantas;
(i) tickets acquired at an auction; or
(j) tickets which are subject to any specific provisions excluding the accumulation of Points
Old Jan 18th 2008, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, lesson, read the fine print or ask when you book. I havent had any trouble with Qantas not crediting points that I am due.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

bberg009 is an unknown quantity at this point

So the short story is: bury some information on a web site (preferrably someone elses), sell tickets like crazy; don't tell your customers about any negative items; make money and screw the customers --> if they complaint, you got away with it, and your excuse is that someting is written somewhere on some web site. Is that customer service? How many calories does it cost Qantas to tell customer this up front like "hey you want this ticket? It comes with no miles".. Perhaps it is a more profitable model of keeping this quiet until AFTER they fly... (just cannot belive some of you guys are DEFENDING ?!? this practice.. are you airline employees?)
Old Jan 24th 2008, 12:10 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

So the short story is: bury some information on a web site (preferrably someone elses), sell tickets like crazy; don't tell your customers about any negative items; make money and screw the customers --> if they complaint, you got away with it, and your excuse is that someting is written somewhere on some web site. Is that customer service? How many calories does it cost Qantas to tell customer this up front like "hey you want this ticket? It comes with no miles".. Perhaps it is a more profitable model of keeping this quiet until AFTER they fly... (just cannot belive some of you guys are DEFENDING ?!? this practice.. are you airline employees?)
No, there just not as naive as you....
All the terms and conditions of the FF program would of been sent to you when you joined up, its your choice whether you read them or not, they cant force you to....
Old Jan 24th 2008, 12:14 am
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of

bberg

I know this is not the answer you want, but if you join qantas frequent flyer you can get the trips credited to your QFF account for up to 12 months (i think )

BUT..
you can only get YOUR ticket credited to YOUR QFF account
so.. if there were 4 of you travelling, then you need to open 4 QFF accounts and Qantas charge a joining fee.

once you have all the points in the accounts, you can then "gift" them to family members, thus getting the points back into one account..

then.. IF you can book a flight with AA/BA or any of the partner airlines, you're sorted.. the IF is for availablility, I have found world traveller plus on BA the easiest to book using QFF points followed by Cathay pacific, I have never tried American Airlines.

Like i said, its not what you want to hear, but it is a possible solution.

EDIT: of course check your tickets are valid before actually joining their FF scheme ..

Derab
Old Jan 24th 2008, 5:59 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by derab
bberg

I know this is not the answer you want, but if you join qantas frequent flyer you can get the trips credited to your QFF account for up to 12 months (i think )

BUT..
you can only get YOUR ticket credited to YOUR QFF account
so.. if there were 4 of you travelling, then you need to open 4 QFF accounts and Qantas charge a joining fee.

once you have all the points in the accounts, you can then "gift" them to family members, thus getting the points back into one account..

then.. IF you can book a flight with AA/BA or any of the partner airlines, you're sorted.. the IF is for availablility, I have found world traveller plus on BA the easiest to book using QFF points followed by Cathay pacific, I have never tried American Airlines.

Like i said, its not what you want to hear, but it is a possible solution.

EDIT: of course check your tickets are valid before actually joining their FF scheme ..

Derab
Useful tip for people - no joining fee for Qantas Frequent Flyer - as long as you joiin before you move to Aus! Once you are here you can change your address, but if you join on an Aussie address they charge a fee. Join with a non-Aussie adrress and its free
Old Jan 24th 2008, 6:53 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Problem is with your AA frequent flyer program and not Qantas...note the spelling QANTAS. (personally hang up there I realise :P)
Old Jan 24th 2008, 6:56 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Tell it to the starving of Ethiopia, they'll be gutted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.