Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone dinted their car recently?

Anyone dinted their car recently?

Old Sep 15th 2010, 4:21 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone dinted their car recently?

Dinted?
Old Sep 15th 2010, 4:23 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone dinted their car recently?

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Dinted?
You turned Kiwi?
Old Sep 15th 2010, 4:30 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DeadVim
You turned Kiwi?
No not yet, but just had a convo with fellow aussies at work on the word 'dent'.

Apparently I'm saying & spelling it wrong ...
Old Sep 15th 2010, 4:30 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

2 incidents in the last couple of months:

1) Wife returned to street-parked car after work and jumped in to drive home. Whilst cruising along the freeway it started raining and she noticed the note pinned under the wipers. By the time she was able to stop, the note was no longer there. We now have a small golf-ball sized dent in the centre-front of the bonnet and a cracked holden badge (I'd guess someone with a towbar backed into us).

2) After pulling into the carpark at work I discovered I was too late and the last space had gone. In an annoyed semi-rage I flung the car into reverse to about turn and head onto the street in search of a space only to misjudge a corner and back full-pace into a steel post (misjudged where the corner was ). Huge dent in the back of the boot, scratches on the bumper and some misalignment of panels - but no smashed lights.

I'm considering paying the $450 excess to have the boot fixed on insurance - but the bonnet can stay dented....

FWIW: I consider 'dint' and 'dent' to be interchangable - but possibly with a 'dint' being a more minor damage than a 'dent'.

Last edited by DadAgain; Sep 15th 2010 at 4:44 am.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 4:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I say both

In my defence it is in the dictionary http://www.thefreedictionary.com/dinted although I like the urban dictionary entry for it better lol

(You'll have to look it up... I can't post the link, work has blocked the site )
Old Sep 15th 2010, 4:44 am
Account Closed

Old Sep 15th 2010, 6:52 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Not for a while now, I must be due!
Old Sep 15th 2010, 7:19 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Dints exist, as do dents. (In NZ, they're "dunts" and "donts").
Old Sep 15th 2010, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
We now have a small golf-ball sized dent in the centre-front of the bonnet and a cracked holden badge (I'd guess someone with a towbar backed into us).
I'm not sure which is worse for you - having the dent, or owning a Holden. Actually, the dent probably improves the car.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 1:16 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

No not yet, but just had a convo with fellow aussies at work on the word 'dent'.

Hey, anyone that can use 'Convo' in everyday use has nothing to worry about
Old Sep 15th 2010, 1:20 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Both are right dint or dent, you could say the dent was a result of a dint
Old Sep 16th 2010, 9:27 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Hey, anyone that can use 'Convo' in everyday use has nothing to worry about
Ok you got me ... ... but I AM in Australia so it's ok.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 11:15 pm
Mostly Harmless

Ok you got me ... ... but I AM in Australia so it's ok.
Hey, I like to see people integrating well